Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 11:43 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Suffolk Downs might end up being 15,000 beds, some mixed use space, and a few office buildings unlikely to be occupied by A List corporations because it’s a lousy location. Boston needs the beds but it’s not going to impact the city one way or another.

Until the commercial office space issue settles out, it’s hard to predict how any of these cities will fare.
Agreed. All of them will bring a lot of housing, but the office environment right now is anybodies guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 12:19 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think everything happening in Nubian Square is significant, but it is significantly smaller in comparison to the other developments listed for each city.
[
I agree I don’t even doubt on all that. I don’t think Boston wins this sort of debate. My whole point is basically with GeoffD said.

Quote:
Suffolk Downs might end up being 15,000 beds, some mixed use space, and a few office buildings unlikely to be occupied by A List corporations because it’s a lousy location. Boston needs the beds but it’s not going to impact the city one way or another.
Nubian is way more integrated into the fabric of the city, and in a more transitional area between sort of the inner city, and some of the more desirable parts of the city and I think for that reason, it stands to have a bigger impact on residents of Boston than Suffolk Downs, which is just gonna be its own thing over there it’s impractical to get to and just not that interesting. on paper it sounds transformative for the city but it’s really just transformative for Suffolk Downs you’re low-key in Revere actually I think 60% of the units are in Revere mass not Boston mass.

Boston doesn’t yet have a planning agency although that’s in the works right now the transition of the BPDA towards more of a planning agency but for that reason it doesn’t do these large scale projects so easily it takes a lot more piecemeal movement and step-by-step momentum to achieve those big goals, but it will happen eventually/ the reorganization of the lower Roxbury and it stems from Nubian Square.. and it stems from Nubian Square. It will be greatly aided and helped if they are able to get the methadone mile under control.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Agreed. All of them will bring a lot of housing, but the office environment right now is anybodies guess.
That is another reason that I think the Helix Park development is a better one for Houston than East River.

It's not an office development in the normal sense.

I bet you have heard people on City Data often question what the Medical Center in Houston has done. TMC as an institution is not for profit.
The new Helix Park development is outside the original TMC charter so biomedical innovations there can be exploited for profit.

A bunch of institutions,such As Baylor College of Medicine, University of Texas, Texas A&M have all pitched in to make Helix Park happen, so they will not be dependent on the office market as a lot of the space is already spoken for.

The project opens up Houston to be a bigger player in biotech, medicine and pharmacology. TMC did develop a covine vaccine for example. And white Moderna and Johnson and Johnson was making billions, Houston was shipping the vaccine to India and other places for free, because TMC is not for profit.

Can you imagine all that brainpower concentrated in one little area and not be able to profit from it?
TMC has 21 research hospitals, at least 6 affliated medical schools, at least 2 engineering schools that I know of... Helix Park just opens an economic sector for the city that it wasn't fully able to exploit before. So I definitely think it would be a bigger deal for the city than East River.

Oh, and it also has Housing and Hotel components

Old 09-24-2023, 12:27 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:

Oh, and it also has Housing and Hotel components
East river has housing and recreation components too

Old 09-25-2023, 11:13 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Many cities around the country have game changing developments that are impacting their respective cities in a major way. Boston, DC, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and Austin have significant projects that will impact their cities by creating new neighborhoods on land that was vacant, grass field, or a different use. This thread was created to focus on those major redevelopment projects and the impact they will have on their surrounding neighborhoods.

Which corridors will change the most as a result of these projects? Which projects will have the biggest impact on their cities?

Boston: Suffolk Downs
Suffolk Downs

DC: AFRH Redevelopment
AFRH Redevelopment

Baltimore: Baltimore Peninsula
Baltimore Peninsula

Houston: East River
East River

Atlanta: Centennial Yards
Centennial Yards

Austin: River Park
River Park
River Park while Major is way less important to Austin than the South Waterfront development. It’s gonna essentially gentrify some student housing and probably low income folk, and pretty up Riverside which is a pretty ugly road. I feel like while it’s iconic for Riverside it’s not the development that will truly change the city overall, like the Austin Statesman development will. It’s also has a bunch of smaller but just as pertinent projects adding to the Riverside neighborhood that if all goes well will add some height but also much needed full neighborhood density outside of Downtown and West Campus as well as other spots around the city that are smaller than a neighborhood.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 09-25-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 11:47 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
River Park while Major is way less important to Austin than the South Waterfront development. It’s gonna essentially gentrify some student housing and probably low income folk, and pretty up Riverside which is a pretty ugly road. I feel like while it’s iconic for Riverside it’s not the development that will truly change the city overall, like the Austin Statesman development will. It’s also has a bunch of smaller but just as pertinent projects adding to the Riverside neighborhood that if all goes well will add some height but also much needed full neighborhood density outside of Downtown and West Campus as well as other spots around the city that are smaller than a neighborhood.
It seems like in all of these cities there’s an equal or larger development underway

Old 09-25-2023, 01:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It seems like in all of these cities there’s an equal or larger development underway
My selection of these developments was an attempt to pick similarly sized (land area) developments. There are larger developments in all the cities mentioned, but they're not the same land size. Even the largest of these (Baltimore Peninsula) is the same land size even though it is significantly larger in density.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:26 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes, and in Atlanta it is most definitely the BeltLine.

https://beltline.org

Old 09-29-2023, 05:52 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Boston approves 30-year development plan that could mean huge population increase for Charlestown

CHARLESTOWN – The Boston Planning and Development Agency voted Thursday night to approve a plan that could increase the population of Charlestown by 80% over the next three decades.

The plan, called PLAN: Charlestown, has been in the works since 2019 and has been through a series of revisions over the course of public meetings and feedback from residents. According to the BPDA, PLAN: Charlestown is "a comprehensive planning initiative that will produce a framework to shape the future of the entire neighborhood of Charlestown predictably." It "seeks to determine how to accommodate new contextually appropriate growth along the Rutherford Avenue Corridor and in Sullivan Square while preserving the character of its existing residential areas."

Much of the plan, which goes 30 years into the future, involves redeveloping industrial and overrun land around the Sullivan Square area into high-rise apartment complexes, lab space, office and retail locations.

The BPDA says the plan accounts for increased and improving public transit, and is "a pathway to add thousands of new housing units near transit in underutilized areas of Charlestown over the course of the next 15-30 years," which "is important both to Charlestown's future and the future of Boston and our region."

The first two proposals up for a vote in line with PLAN: Charlestown include a 22-story high rise in Sullivan Square, and a lab and commercial space complex with some housing as well on the other side of I-93.

BPDA board members emphasized in their meeting Thursday that PLAN: Charlestown would be a long term plan to help fight the city's affordable housing crisis by building in underutilized areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City