Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 12:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Many cities around the country have game changing developments that are impacting their respective cities in a major way. Boston, DC, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and Austin have significant projects that will impact their cities by creating new neighborhoods on land that was vacant, grass field, or a different use. This thread was created to focus on those major redevelopment projects and the impact they will have on their surrounding neighborhoods.

Which corridors will change the most as a result of these projects? Which projects will have the biggest impact on their cities?

Boston: Suffolk Downs
Suffolk Downs

DC: AFRH Redevelopment
AFRH Redevelopment

Baltimore: Baltimore Peninsula
Baltimore Peninsula

Houston: East River
East River

Atlanta: Centennial Yards
Centennial Yards

Austin: River Park
River Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 01:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
I think TMC Helix Park and TMC Bioport will have bigger impacts on Houston.

I like the East River Development, but the TMC ones are just in a different economic field. East River I will reserve judgement. Houston has had these major redevelopment proposals before (Hardy Yards, Regent Square) but they were disappointing. TMC Helix Park came out of the ground with a vengeance.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:46 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Objectively? Baltimore.

Port Covington (Baltimore Peninsula) is the largest of these projects and the city (and surrounding neighborhoods immediately south of Port Covington) are in a substantially rougher state than the rest of the cities listed. It's success will yield far greater local/regional impacts than an equivalent development in bigger healthier city like Atlanta, Boston or DC or fast growing ones like Austin or Houston.

Last edited by Joakim3; 09-23-2023 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-23-2023, 03:57 PM

441 posts, read 228,080 times
Centennial Yards doesn't even seem like it's gonna happen with all the developers pulling out.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Centennial Yards doesn't even seem like it's gonna happen with all the developers pulling out.
? The only developer is CIM Group and Atlanta Hawks owner Tony Ressler. The only thing they announced was that some of the office space will be converted to residential because some of the tech companies who would've occupied the office space no longer needed it due to all the work from home.

Old 09-23-2023, 05:49 PM

9,863 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Objectively? Baltimore.

Port Covington (Baltimore Peninsula) is the largest of these projects and the city (and surrounding neighborhoods immediately south of Port Covington) are in a substantially rougher state than the rest of the cities listed. It's success will yield far greater local/regional impacts than an equivalent development in bigger healthier city like Atlanta, Boston or DC or fast growing ones like Austin or Houston.
I agree with this. You can say baltimore “needs” it most.

Old 09-23-2023, 05:50 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
? The only developer is CIM Group and Atlanta Hawks owner Tony Ressler. The only thing they announced was that some of the office space will be converted to residential because some of the tech companies who would've occupied the office space no longer needed it due to all the work from home.
I was in that area yesterday, looks like the ground work has been laid and it's still under way.

Old 09-23-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I think TMC Helix Park and TMC Bioport will have bigger impacts on Houston.

I like the East River Development, but the TMC ones are just in a different economic field. East River I will reserve judgement. Houston has had these major redevelopment proposals before (Hardy Yards, Regent Square) but they were disappointing. TMC Helix Park came out of the ground with a vengeance.
First phases of both projects (Helix Park and East River) open soon. Will be great to see them and how they grow over the years

Old 09-23-2023, 06:26 PM

Something to add on the note of east river, that project is being coupled by a Buffalo Bayou Park expansion east. That will add trails and connected green space from the existing parks west into the area where east river is

Information on that

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...o-bayou/?amp=1

https://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/pres...park-east.html

Good article on how it’s connecting two disinvested neighborhoods

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/h...and-amenities/

Old 09-23-2023, 06:56 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
First phases of both projects (Helix Park and East River) open soon. Will be great to see them and how they grow over the years
If Helix Park wins that ARPA -H bid I bet it would send the remaining phases into over drive.

What they have done already looks great. Looks like they built a little business district from scratch in just a few years.

I think Texas would have a better shot at getting the ARPA -H spot. San Antonio and Austin ganged up to locate it in Dallas saying it should be in Dallas because... and then went on to list a bunch of infrastructure in HOUSTON which has is own bid. Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City