Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 09:08 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

I think it's safe to say that were in the "post covid" era now. Our downtowns suffered dramatically, urban cores lost people, businesses and have been slow with return to office, remote work dynamics and so on. Indicators on recovery are a bit spotty, using cellphone data is not accurate, downtown boundaries are often changed or tampered with in studies, so it makes it harder to see which downtown actually improved using proper indicators.

After three years, what would your rank be for Canadian and U.S downtowns? Based off on

- Neighbourhoods within downtown boundaries
- Restaurant scene & diversity
- Nightlife
- Culture
- Urban Planning
- Transport/Green space
- Pre/Post Covid comparisons & recovery (either return to office, pedestrian activity, retail, etc..)

Bonus: Future projects, developments and what is your city doing to fast track projects or bring back investments to downtown areas?

Are the top 10's the same? Have there been changes in your rankings and observations? And how much longer do you think it will take for most downtowns to fully recover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 09:19 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Top 10 US/Canadian downtowns is in really boring because the only real debate in America is 8/9/10 who. Slings at the bottom where there are like a dozen options

With Canada in the Mix it’s just really obviously

NY, Toronto, Chicago, SF, Montreal, Boston, Philly, DC, Seattle Vancouver .

I guess you can debate the order of SF/Montreal/Bos/Philly and Chi/Toronto but there isn’t really any debate on who belongs in the top10

Old 10-09-2023, 09:58 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Top 10 US/Canadian downtowns is in really boring because the only real debate in America is 8/9/10 who. Slings at the bottom where there are like a dozen options

With Canada in the Mix it’s just really obviously

NY, Toronto, Chicago, SF, Montreal, Boston, Philly, DC, Seattle Vancouver .

I guess you can debate the order of SF/Montreal/Bos/Philly and Chi/Toronto but there isn’t really any debate on who belongs in the top10
Well let's just close the thread.

I put DTLA above Seattle pre-pandemic and I think that the gap is widening post-pandemic.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
NYC, Chicago, Toronto, LA, Philadelphia, Montreal, San Francisco, Boston, DC, Vancouver, Seattle.

I think everyone will have an opinion on which one gets cut. To me, it’s probably either Seattle or Vancouver.

As hard as San Francisco has gotten hit, it’s still one of the most dynamic, urban, sought after cities in North America.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:34 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
NYC, Chicago, Toronto, LA, Philadelphia, Montreal, San Francisco, Boston, DC, Vancouver, Seattle.

I think everyone will have an opinion on which one gets cut. To me, it’s probably either Seattle or Vancouver.

As hard as San Francisco has gotten hit, it’s still one of the most dynamic, urban, sought after cities in North America.
I'd say DC would be the one to cut, if we're talking strictly about official "Downtown DC" and not including Foggy Bottom, Chinatown, the National Mall, etc. There's just really not much there.

Agree with Seattle (esp. if not including Pioneer Square, Belltown, etc.) and Vancouver being near the bottom of the list. I live in the Seattle area and I rarely go to downtown proper.

I haven't been to Miami but I'm surprised it doesn't make it onto a top 10.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:35 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
NYC/CDMX

Chicago/Toronto

DC/Philly/Boston/SF/Montreal

#9/10 would come down to LA vs. Seattle vs. Vancouver

Old 10-09-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
NYC/CDMX

Chicago/Toronto

DC/Philly/Boston/SF/Montreal

#9/10 would come down to LA vs. Seattle vs. Vancouver
About as accurate as it gets for tiering them.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:40 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Well let's just close the thread.

I put DTLA above Seattle pre-pandemic and I think that the gap is widening post-pandemic.
Downtown Seattle has more hotel rooms, a higher residential population density, more transit usage, and two waterfronts. It has way fewer freeways. Buildings have way less parking.

It's worth debating but I'll go with Seattle by a good margin. It's not changing...Seattle has more housing construction.

I'm using "greater" downtowns btw, not just the core office districts.

Old 10-09-2023, 11:07 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
About as accurate as it gets for tiering them.
Once you get out of that grouping it become essentially hunger games from #12-20

MSP, Denver, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Austin, Houston, NoLa, Miami, SD, Portland, Baltimore, Calgary, Cleveland, Detroit, Cinci, Charlotte, Milwuakee, etc..

Old 10-09-2023, 12:10 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Downtown Seattle has more hotel rooms, a higher residential population density, more transit usage, and two waterfronts. It has way fewer freeways. Buildings have way less parking.

It's worth debating but I'll go with Seattle by a good margin. It's not changing...Seattle has more housing construction.

I'm using "greater" downtowns btw, not just the core office districts.
All of that sounds accurate (not sure about hotels but believable) and is fair to use but in the end and imo LA's massive size and DTLA being a local destination more than compensates. DTLA in my experience just has much more to do than DT Seattle. By a lot.

Based on the criteria stated:

Neighbourhoods within downtown boundaries - LA
Restaurant scene & diversity - LA by a lot
Nightlife - LA by a lot
Culture - LA
Urban Planning - Seattle by a lot
Transport/Green space - LA slightly or tossup. Seattle wins in transit usage percentage but LA wins for total users and infrastructure
Pre/Post Covid comparisons & recovery (either return to office, pedestrian activity, retail, etc..) - LA. Return to office is low but DTLA relies less on office workers as the office space is less integrated into downtown. Overall more is open now than pre-pandemic.

Bonus: Future projects, developments and what is your city doing to fast track projects or bring back investments to downtown areas? LA as DTLA was just rezoned to allow significantly more density and zero parking by right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City