Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Hard to argue with this, unfortunately. It seems Philly has been making much more effort of late to beef up its infrastructure in terms of fully protected lanes, but bike culture (including respect for bikers) is definitely not nearly as ingrained on the East Coast as it is in Portland.

The thing is, Philly has so much potential to be an absolutely phenomenal biking city due to its tightly-gridded layout, but until driving enforcement/respect for bikers is kicked up by several notches, it's not going to reach its potential.
Agree, Philly has great potential. But then we go and do things like re-open MLK Dr. to vehicle traffic, when it had become such a beautiful recreational area + cyclist commuter corridor during COVID. But I digress.

This thread got me thinking about the topic and so I did a bit of reading. Crazily enough, Philadelphia actually fairs better than most other major metro areas. My bias was showing since I was hit head-on by a careless driver about a year ago. While I stand by what I said about the driving culture here, I think our relatively low cyclist mortality rate must have something to do with what MarketStEl has talked about in the past: our narrow streets and tight grid pattern actually prevents widespread excessive speeding throughout most city streets. It's kinda hard to get to fatal-level speeds in your vehicle when there's a stop sign about every 300 feet.

https://www.carinsurance.org/deadlie...-for-cyclists/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 04:54 PM

235 posts, read 331,181 times
Quote:
With all due respect to Providence, this really isn't a good suggestion for someone looking for true big city living with expansive walkability and robust public transit. Philly and to a lesser extent Portland are light years ahead of Providence. It's really not in the same conversation. Rhode Island absolutely has negatives, too--it's arguably the most moribund economy on the East Coast. Infrastructure in the state is also the most abysmal I've ever seen.

And don't get me wrong, I like Providence. But it's more aptly compared with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or Milwaukee, by far.
With all due, the OP didn’t specify it had to be a major city. And I do think it could be in the same convo. It has the urban nature of Philly, bikable with great greenway network too, but without the crime. It has a lot of great outdoor recreation opportunities. The Providence and Philly MSAs have the same household income levels too.

Old 10-14-2023, 05:48 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
With all due, the OP didn’t specify it had to be a major city. And I do think it could be in the same convo. It has the urban nature of Philly, bikable with great greenway network too, but without the crime. It has a lot of great outdoor recreation opportunities. The Providence and Philly MSAs have the same household income levels too.
I wouldn't exactly characterize Providence as entirely "low crime," though. It's a relatively poor city with enough crime of opportunity. But certainly violent crime is less prevalent.

To the rest if your post, I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, but I guess I simply gleaned from the OP that they're looking for more of an Amsterdam-level experience.

No American city will of course provide that in totality, but there's no doubt that Philly comes amongst the closest on the urban/walkability scale. Portland comes amongst the closest on the bikability scale. That's basically the gist of it.

Old 10-15-2023, 05:18 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Cost of Living: Philadelphia. Portland would be a "bargain" city by West Coast standards, although still more pricier than Philadelphia.

Walkability and Biking: Philadelphia by a mile, however, Portland's pre-annexed neighborhoods are pretty walkable/bikeable. One thing in Portland's favor is the urban tree canopy layout within its core, which makes for a better experience in the summers.

This is a thing of beauty. https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5195...8192?entry=ttu
Yeah, wish there were more streets like that in our central business district (the residential portions of Center City have some of the best tree canopy in the city — which, I'm sorry to say, is a title that's easy to claim given our poor coverage). Northwest Philly, especially the three neighborhoods above the Wissahickon Creek — Germantown, Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill — is also especially bosky.

There is a program called TreePhilly that has as its aim improving the city's tree canopy. It distributes free street and yard trees to residents who request one. One roadblock standing in the way of progress on this front: Many rowhouse owners believe that trees damage water lines with their roots. The truth is, they do so only if the water pipe is leaking already. But still, between putting tree pits on the sidewalks, which are often as narrow as the streets, and worrying about overhead utility wires, which run over just about every main grid street outside Center City, the TreePhilly folks face some challenges in fulfilling their mission.

Quote:
Crime: Philadelphia, but you'll more than likely be fine should you use "street smarts" and that goes for any city including Portland.

Income: That's pretty vague. Do you mean which city would provide you with a higher disposable income? What is considered a livable income in each city?

Outdoor Activities: Pretty hard to beat the PNW so Portland, but Philadelphia holds its own, especially in the metro.
A point I need to underscore regarding violent crime from someone who came close to being a victim:

If you live in most of the city and don't get involved in certain illicit activities, the odds of your becoming a victim of violent crime drop dramatically. Yes, you do have the occasional armed robbery, but they're not as frequent as the Negadelphians would have you believe. Most of the violent crime occurs in parts of North Central Philadelphia, Kensington and Southwest Philadelphia.

(Germantown, the neighborhood I call home, has issues with violent crime as well, but most of it occurs on its east side. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the neighborhood's northwest quadrant, which is also its most affluent section, to anyone. Something else to note about Philadelphia is that it has a patchwork-quilt quality: instead of vast swaths of one thing or another, you can find pockets of contrasting character (and demographics) cheek by jowl. One block north of me is a former low-income housing tower that got dynamited and replaced with low-income townhouses, while the block I live on is solidly middle-class. And three blocks east-northeast of me is a pocket of affluence in the middle of all this. And I neither hear sirens nor gunshots, nor do I come home to find the street blocked off by crime-scene tape, the way I did when I lived near the central intersection in East Germantown.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Been to both cities many times and personally I prefer Portland but I am a very outdoorsy person who enjoys hiking/nature. If you are of a similar mindset, Portland would be the easy winner. The PNW is very hard to beat in terms of outdoor activities. There is an amazing park right inside the city that is 5200 acres called Forest Park and just minutes outside the city limits you have tons of trails and amazing hikes. In terms of crime you got it right, Portland has high property crime whilst Philly has high violent crime. There is an unwritten rule out here on the west coast and that is too not leave valuables in plain sight in your car. I'd say most of the property crime is peoples cars getting broken into. In terms of climate, Portland is much more similar to Amsterdam...Autumn through Spring is mostly overcast and rainy with mild temps...summer is a bit different however as it gets warm to hot with little to no rain. It's considered a Mediterranean climate while Philly is humid subtropical.
I haven't been to Portland, but I do know the Philadelphia area and agree that Portland tops it for the outdoorsy stuff. But we do have some outdoor opportunities that I think go underappreciated.

One of them is in the category I boldfaced, and I can walk to it (its closest part is about one mile from where I live). This is Wissahickon Valley Park, a 2,600-acre wilderness that splits Northwest Philadelphia in two. It was created in the 1820s as part of Fairmount Park, which in turn was established to protect the Schuylkill (River), which fed the Fairmount Water Works, from industrial development that would degrade the quality of the water. Except for a road leading to a parking lot next to the Valley Green Inn and the ford across Wissahickon Creek at Bell's Mill Road, the entire park is off-limits to automobile traffic, most notably Forbidden Drive, the wide, rocky road that parallels the creek. As noted in the Wikipedia article linked here, a huge protest in the 1920s thwarted the Fairmount Park Commission's plan to open the Wissahickon Turnpike to auto traffic. "Forbidden Drive" has remained forbidden ever since. Horseback riders, walkers and mountain bikers (the rocks on parts of the drive are too large for street bikes to handle) all love the road. Smaller trails, some of them challenging (there's a color-code system that indicates the level of difficulty), lace the smaller streams and ravines that feed the creek in the park.

A National Natural Landmark, Wissahickon Valley Park is also home to the site of the first paper mill in the United States, Historic Rittenhouse Town. It's located along the banks of the Monoshone Creek, one of the Wissahickon's chief tributaries. Lincoln Drive follows its buried streambed, and it gives you a glimpse into what things would have been like had Forbidden Drive been opened to cars — which is to say, not terribly pleasant for everyone else.

Old 10-15-2023, 12:07 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
With all due respect to Providence, this really isn't a good suggestion for someone looking for true big city living with expansive walkability and robust public transit. Philly and to a lesser extent Portland are light years ahead of Providence. It's really not in the same conversation. Rhode Island absolutely has negatives, too--it's arguably the most moribund economy on the East Coast. Infrastructure in the state is also the most abysmal I've ever seen.

And don't get me wrong, I like Providence. But it's more aptly compared with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or Milwaukee, by far.
Yeah I agree here. Love parts of Providence. But the majority of RI makes Philly look like a posh city.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend until RI gets their sht together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City