Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bmore or Sac?
Baltimore 45 49.45%
Sacramento 46 50.55%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 12:42 PM

6,909 posts, read 8,284,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't think Baltimore feels particularly 'big city" at all. Urban, sure, but there are plenty of highly urban places that are not big cities and there are suburban cities that nonetheless feel massive. IMO the San Jose area feels much more "big city" than Baltimore; that's not not even close. That's one of the 2-3 most important cities in the US economically and you can feel that. Baltimore is very sleepy in comparison. Sacramento is different story of course, but I doubt there is that big difference between it and Baltimore on that front...
I agree, there are plenty of cities, like Baltimore, that have density, are walkable, and have a traditional old urban feel because they came of age well before automobiles. But, that does not mean they have a modern "big city" feel. Baltimore is kinda of sleepy and quiet for its size.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sacramento is the Baltimore of the west more than any other city in the west concerning size, feel, and pace. Interesting how the poll has been an even-split from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 01:06 PM

3,543 posts, read 2,334,832 times
Quote:
I don't think Baltimore feels particularly 'big city" at all. Urban, sure, but there are plenty of highly urban places that are not big cities and there are suburban cities that nonetheless feel massive. IMO the San Jose area feels much more "big city" than Baltimore; that's not not even close. That's one of the 2-3 most important cities in the US economically and you can feel that. Baltimore is very sleepy in comparison. Sacramento is different story of course, but I doubt there is that big difference between it and Baltimore on that front...
Comparing part of ~7.7 million region vs. the central core of a ~3 million region will never pencil out well.

San Jose feels like a hyper educated, half scale version of San Bernardino Valley. If that's the measuring stick for what qualifies as "big city", then sure Baltimore isn't a big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree, there are plenty of cities, like Baltimore, that have density, are walkable, and have a traditional old urban feel because they came of age well before automobiles. But, that does not mean they have a modern "big city" feel. Baltimore is kinda of sleepy and quiet for its size.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sacramento is the Baltimore of the west more than any other city in the west concerning size, feel, and pace. Interesting how the poll has been an even-split from the get go.
Portland would honestly be more comparable to Baltimore than Sacramento.

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-25-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 11-25-2023, 01:10 PM

Regarding the whole airport comparisons:

2019 stats:
BWI: 28.9 million passengers
SMF (Sacramento Int'l Airport): 13.2 million passengers

Non-stop Direct flights only:

Ignoring BWI's international flights to the Caribbean, they have only one international flight to Europe, non to Asia(correct me if I'm wrong).

International flights that Sacramento has that BWI does not have, given BWI's size you would think they would have these: GDL, Mexico City, Leon, and Vancouver.

Sacramento loses way more passengers to the Bay Area than, Baltimore does to Philly.

Dulles is essentially a Baltimore-area airport; whereas, SFO and Oak are not Sacramento area airports.

Dulles to downtown Baltimore: 60 miles

Sacramento to SFO: 100 miles
Baltimore to Philly airport: 100 miles

Old 11-25-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:

2019 stats:

Ignoring BWI's international flights to the Caribbean, they have only one international flight to Europe, non to Asia(correct me if I'm wrong).

International flights that Sacramento has that BWI does not have, given BWI's size you would think they would have these: GDL, Mexico City, Leon, and Vancouver.

Sacramento loses way more passengers to the Bay Area than, Baltimore does to Philly.

Dulles is essentially a Baltimore-area airport; whereas, SFO and Oak are not Sacramento area airports.

BWI's international flights

Air Canada - Toronto
Copa Airlines - Panama City
British Airways - London
Condor - Frankfurt
Frontier - Cancun
Iceland Air - Reykjavík–Keflavík
Play - Reykjavík–Keflavík
Spirit - Cancun
Southwest - Belize City, San Jose (CR)

Old 11-25-2023, 02:09 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,640,033 times
Quote:
I think most people recognize that "big city"-isms can get super opinionated and subjective. The most vocal posters on Baltimore's side of this comp haven't been to Sacramento, but some posters have been to both and I think the overall thread/poll reflects there's not a strong objective lean either way for people who have been to both cities, so then it just boils down to what you prefer and why...

As far as "big city" feel, I do think Baltimore feels like a big city, and like a slightly larger city than Sacramento. But emphasis on slightly, Baltimore doesn't feel "way more" anything than Sacramento, and all the hard metrics support that there isn't a wide gap between the two...

All of California's large cities feel like "big cities", and while Baltimore is a "big city" to me, comparatively it isn't so large nor feels so large that anyone should put it more than marginally ahead of any second/third tier California city, if they rank it ahead at all...

Sacramentans can be cynical, I think most people of any city can be, but Sacramento has strong transit infrastructure, thriving nightlife and entertainment, strong recreation, very very strong arts scene, robust education infrastructure---->these are all criteria of big cities and contribute to Sac's big city "feel". I've been to 32 states and 9 of the 17 2-3 million MSA cities, you see enough of this country, there are plenty of places doing worse than Sacramento in some of these categories...

Quote:

Quote:

2019 stats:

Sacramento has been gaining passengers while OAK loses passengers, which I think is a suggestion that more people from the East Bay are choosing SMF for air travel...

Old 11-25-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
BWI's international flights

Air Canada - Toronto
Copa Airlines - Panama City
British Airways - London
Condor - Frankfurt
Frontier - Cancun
Iceland Air - Reykjavík–Keflavík
Play - Reykjavík–Keflavík
Spirit - Cancun
Southwest - Belize City, San Jose (CR)
That's right, I forgot about the Frankfurt and Reykjavik flights. I'm surprised there are no other Caribbean flights other than Cancun and Belize City.

So, Sacramento flights to the Hawaiian Islands, Central and Western Mexico, and Vancouver is what Sacramento has over Baltimore.

Sacramento Int'l Airport:
Air Canada - Vancouver, Toronto
Volaris, AeroMexico, Southwest: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico City, Leon, Guadalajara.

Hawaiian and Southwest: Honolulu, Maui, Kona

Although Hawaii is not considered "International" its further than the Caribbean, the equivalent of a "continent away", and almost as far as Europe is from the east coast.

So, is there a non-stop from BWI to Hawaii, I don't think so, but I would be surprised if not at least one to Honolulu.

Old 11-25-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Portland would honestly be more comparable to Baltimore than Sacramento.
Based on diversity, no.
Actually, P and Sac are more alike, and Sacramento is twice as Black as P.

Sacramento:
Black: 10.5%; Asian: 20%; Latino: 30%

Baltimore:
Black: 60%; Asian: 2.5%, Latino: 5.5%

Old 11-25-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That's right, I forgot about the Frankfurt and Reykjavik flights. I'm surprised there are no other Caribbean flights other than Cancun and Belize City.

So, Sacramento flights to the Hawaiian Islands, Central and Western Mexico, and Vancouver is what Sacramento has over Baltimore.

Sacramento Int'l Airport:
Air Canada - Vancouver, Toronto
Volaris, AeroMexico, Southwest: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico City, Leon, Guadalajara.

Hawaiian and Southwest: Honolulu, Maui, Kona

Although Hawaii is not considered "International" its further than the Caribbean, the equivalent of a "continent away", and almost as far as Europe is from the east coast.

So, is there a non-stop from BWI to Hawaii, I don't think so, but I would be surprised if not at least one to Honolulu.
There are direct flights to Nassau, Cancun, Montego Bay, Punta Cana, San Juan, Aruba, and San Jose and Guanacaste in Costa Rica from BWI.

I just listed the one in the non-greater antilles

Old 11-25-2023, 06:06 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Every city in the North East sans Boston was a major manufacturing hub going into the late 1800's.

But having major manufacture alone doesn't make the city "rust belt." The only difference between Baltimore and Philly (who annexed in 1854) is that Baltimore didn't, so it lost out to its peripheral burbs during the mass white flight post 1950's. The people who left, moved right over the "fence" to Baltimore county which is why so much of it looks no different than the city proper.
Yeas, most of them were major manufacturing hubs and almost all of them lost a lot of population and those jobs. It doesn't mean manufacturing was the largest industry in all of the cities, but it was the case for Baltimore.

I think saying the north east by itself has some grey areas as Pittsburgh is in the northeast, but not the northeast corridor and is most certainly Rust Belt.

Yes, Philadelphia having the then little developed northeastern area to spread into with mass suburbanization did help. It's arguable if Philadelphia should be considered rust belt, and I've certainly heard people refer to it as such.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-25-2023 at 06:39 PM..

Old 11-25-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yeas, most of them were major manufacturing hubs and almost all of them lost a lot of population and those jobs. It doesn't mean manufacturing was the largest industry in all of the cities, but it was the case for Baltimore.

I think saying the north east by itself has some grey areas as Pittsburgh is in the northeast, but not the northeast corridor and is most certainly Rust Belt.

Yes, Philadelphia having the then little developed northeastern area to spread into with mass suburbanization did help. It's arguable if Philadelphia should be considered rust belt, and I've certainly heard people refer to it as such.
Manufacturing was not the largest industry in Baltimore, shipping trade was. Yes, Baltimore had lots of manufacturing spawn from the port operations especially post B&O railroad creation, but it was first and for most a raw trade port until containerization popped up in the 1920's and opened that can of worms.

I do agree theres grey areas and some overlap so I can get why people would lump Baltimore and even Philly in that group.

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-25-2023 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City