Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would lose the most status without its major MSA?
Kansas (Witchita) 4 7.02%
Connecticut (Hartford) 14 24.56%
Arkansas (Little Rock) 17 29.82%
Mississippi (Jackson) 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 09:11 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Kansas and Connecticut are more defined by cities that aren't even in them (Kansas City and New York City, respectively) than ones that are, so it wouldn't be these two. Mississippi would actually improve without Jackson, so it's not that one. I guess that leaves Arkansas. Granted that Fayetteville carries an increasing share of the weight for that state, but I still think the loss of Little Rock would hurt.
Solid reasoning.

Mississippi has its own ocean coast MSA, something most states don't have. I wonder if there's a case for Fayetteville and NWA overcoming that.

The more I think about it, it seems that Little Rock might be the most prominent MSA of the four excluding the ones that originate out of state.

Jackson seems like a really unique case, being a southern primary MSA with no apparent boom/growth narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 09:53 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
A comparison of four states with relatively obscure primary MSA's:

Kansas: Witchita MSA (19% of state population)

Connecticut: Hartford MSA (43% of state population)

Mississippi: Jackson MSA (18% of state population)

Arkansas: Little Rock MSA (22% of state population)

Which state would lose the most status absent its primary MSA?
Quote:
I have very little knowledge of these states (which is why I make threads like this to learn from those who do), but I ultimately for Arkansas because, though I have heard about "NWA" and it sounds great-MS has coastal/port cities, CT has other large metros like Bridgeport, and KS like you mentioned has its share of KC metro and Topeka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It could be argued that Kansas City is the primary metro of Kansas.
I would certainly argue that. So would John Guinther, who wrote in Inside U.S.A. (1948) that Kansas City, Mo., is "the capital of a state it isn't even in." Back then, the only newspaper that circulated statewide was the weekly edition of The Kansas City Star (known internally as "The Weekly Star Farmer"), and the paper's editor, Roy Roberts, was something of a kingmaker in Kansas Republican politics — and Kansas has long been a predominantly Republican state stretching back to the days of "Bleeding Kansas," when the nascent GOP was on the side of the Free Soilers and abolitionists.

Quote:
I suppose it's debatable, man KC needs to get a major metro.
I think you meant "KS needs to get a major metro" — but it already has one. It just doesn't have its principal city. But it does contain its principal edge city (Overland Park, second to Wichita in population among cities in Kansas), its principal industrial center (heavily ethnic Kansas City, Kan., #3 in population in both the metro and the state), and major Federal government installations in Leavenworth* (Kansas' first city, incorporated in 1854; it's home to Fort Leavenworth, where the Army brass come for advanced study and home to the nation's only military prison, the United States Disciplinary Barracks; Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary ("the Hot House" is the first and oldest of the Federal prisons); and the Eisenhower VA Medical Center, established in 1884 as the Wadsworth Old Soldiers' Home).

Last I looked, the Kansas side of the Kansas City MSA contains one-third of the state's population, eclipsing Wichita by a good deal. And it's also the hub of a larger conurbation that extends to Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas and now part of the Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS CSA. Topeka, another 30 miles west of Lawrence, isn't growing towards Lawrence the way Lawrence and Johnson County have grown towards each other, but I'd include Topeka in the Northeast Kansas conurbation, which also takes in Doniphan County (Atchison, near St. Joseph; the Atchison µSA is part of the Kansas City CSA while the St. Joseph MSA remains outside it — for now).

The population of metropolitan Kansas City is very close to evenly split between the two states as well; in most other bi-state MSAs, the state containing the core city contains at least 2/3 of the MSA population.

Edited to add: Had the Town of Kansas never been founded, there would still have been a major city at the confluence of the Missouri and Kansas rivers. The main difference is that it might have grown upstream rather than downstream from Kaw Point.

*My father, who served in the Army during the Korean War, is buried in Leavenworth National Cemetery, one of the largest of the national cemeteries. It's located next to the VA Medical Center and separate from Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery, which is on the Army base.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-22-2024 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2024, 10:39 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Mississippi has Biloxi; Kansas as Topeka and Kansas City, and Manhattan; Connecticut's status mostly derives from Southwestern CT, from Bridgeport west and Bridgeport south.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:52 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Mississippi would be worse off. I think without it, several services would not be available to people like medical care, education, and food deserts would persist. The others have cities that could pick up some of the weight. There are no other midsized cities for hundreds of miles without Jackson.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:12 PM

204 posts, read 134,663 times
What on earth is an MSA? lol

Old 02-23-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
What on earth is an MSA? lol
Sorry..."Metropolitan Statistical Area"

The largest officially recognized population area in each state.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry..."Metropolitan Statistical Area"

The largest officially recognized population area in each state.
Not correct. Most states have multiple MSAs.

A Metropolitan Statistical Area is a collection of counties (in the six New England states, cities and towns) that are economically tied to one that contains a city of 50,000 or more inhabitants as its principal city (usually but not always the county seat). Whether or not a county gets included in an MSA depends on the percentage of its residents who commute to jobs in one of the existing MSA counties, or the percentage of residents in existing MSA counties that commute to jobs in that county.

Some MSAs have more than one core city. Perhaps the three best known are the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI MSA), the Dallas-Fort Worth "Metroplex" (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK MSA) and the San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco-Oakland, CA MSA).

As cities and their suburbs grow, additional counties get added to the MSA in many cases. The Kansas City, MO-KS MSA consisted of five counties (three in Missouri, two in Kansas) when I was a kid; today, it has 14 (9 in Missouri, 5 in Kansas).

If the core city has 10,000 to 50,000 residents, the statistical area is called a "micropolitan statistical area" (abbreviated µSA). A region with significant commuting flows among two or more of these "core-based statistical areas" can become a "consolidated statistical area" (CSA) comprised of those MSAs and µSAs.

The Office of Management and Budget maintains the MSA and µSA definitions. There are 387 MSAs in the United States.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not correct. Most states have multiple MSAs.

A Metropolitan Statistical Area is a collection of counties (in the six New England states, cities and towns) that are economically tied to one that contains a city of 50,000 or more inhabitants as its principal city (usually but not always the county seat). Whether or not a county gets included in an MSA depends on the percentage of its residents who commute to jobs in one of the existing MSA counties, or the percentage of residents in existing MSA counties that commute to jobs in that county.

Some MSAs have more than one core city. Perhaps the three best known are the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI MSA), the Dallas-Fort Worth "Metroplex" (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK MSA) and the San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco-Oakland, CA MSA).

As cities and their suburbs grow, additional counties get added to the MSA in many cases. The Kansas City, MO-KS MSA consisted of five counties (three in Missouri, two in Kansas) when I was a kid; today, it has 14 (9 in Missouri, 5 in Kansas).

If the core city has 10,000 to 50,000 residents, the statistical area is called a "micropolitan statistical area" (abbreviated µSA). A region with significant commuting flows among two or more of these "core-based statistical areas" can become a "consolidated statistical area" (CSA) comprised of those MSAs and µSAs.

The Office of Management and Budget maintains the MSA and µSA definitions. There are 387 MSAs in the United States.
Wow, long day.

I was trying to type the simplest one sentence explanation possible (an expanded answer could be googled), but yes that was a completely wrong statement. I guess I got tunnel vision with regards to the thread topic and explaining it terms of the thread question.

I'll try again in one sentence-

An officially recognized population area that typically includes a major city and its immediate suburbs.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Wow, long day.

I was trying to type the simplest one sentence explanation possible (an expanded answer could be googled), but yes that was a completely wrong statement. I guess I got tunnel vision with regards to the thread topic and explaining it terms of the thread question.

I'll try again in one sentence-

An officially recognized population area that typically includes a major city and its immediate suburbs.
Yup, that's a very good tl;dr description.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:10 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Minor correction: It's the urban population that counts, not the city population. There are metropolitan areas that have core cities with fewer than 50,000 residents such as Dalton GA, Morristown TN, and Cleveland TN.

Micropolitan Statistical Area
A geographic entity delineated by the Office of Management and Budget for use by federal statistical agencies. Micropolitan statistical areas consist of the county or counties (or equivalent entities) associated with at least one urban cluster of at least 10,000 but less than 50,000 population, plus adjacent counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured through commuting ties.

Metropolitan Statistical Area
A geographic entity delineated by the Office of Management and Budget for use by federal statistical agencies. Metropolitan statistical areas consist of the county or counties (or equivalent entities) associated with at least one urbanized area of at least 50,000 population, plus adjacent counties having a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured through commuting ties.

https://www.census.gov/glossary/?ter...atistical+Area

Now back to the thread.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City