Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most historic town in America? Pick Two
Boston 337 47.27%
Washington D.C. 94 13.18%
Philadelphia 354 49.65%
Charleston 56 7.85%
San Antonio 25 3.51%
Williamsburg/Jamestown 75 10.52%
Gettysburg 19 2.66%
Cooperstown 6 0.84%
Staunton 5 0.70%
Lexington 7 0.98%
Charlottesvillie 4 0.56%
Savannah 31 4.35%
Roanoke 7 0.98%
Baltimore 19 2.66%
Other 86 12.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:34 AM

193 posts, read 204,529 times

Advertisements

A list of America's most historic cities that includes Staunton, Lexington, and Roanoke (?) but does not include Richmond? Really?

Richmond, capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia in whose capitol (designed by Thomas Jefferson in 1788) resides America's longest ongoing legislature;

Richmond, where Patrick Henry delivered his famous "Liberty or Death" speech at Saint John's Church on the eve of the Revolutionary War;

Richmond, where, in 1800, Gabriel Prosser organized and almost carried out the largest slave revolt in American history;

Richmond, where Vice President Aaron Burr was tried for treason in 1807;

Richmond, capital of the Confederate States of America (1861-1865) and home today of the most important collections of Civil War memorabilia in the country;

Richmond, where the Richmond National Battlefield Park encompasses some of the bloodiest battlefields in American history;

Richmond, whose Hollywood Cemetery is the final resting place of Presidents John Tyler and James Monroe, CSA President Jefferson Davis, Generals J.E.B. Stuart and George Pickett, and 18,000 Confederate soldiers;

Richmond, home to many notable persons including Chief Justice John Marshall, Edgar Allan Poe, Robert E. Lee, several Pulitzer Prize winning writers, and L. Douglas Wilder, former Richmond mayor who, in 1990, was elected Governor of Virginia, the first African-American ever to be elected governor a state.

None of this is to say that Richmond is the most historic city in America (Philadelphia is) but that Richmond definitely belongs on a short list of such cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
DC and suburbs
San Antonio and Houston
Boston
Atlanta
Charleston
N'Orleans
Charlotte
Lol... only in the US do we completely ignore and look down on the city that founded and built the country.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Really tired of the accepted opinion that "historic" basically refers to 6th grade Social Studies kind of "historic." ya ya Paul Revere, Ben Franklin, tea part, a whole bunch of vague things that people don't actually understand. Why is THAT the only history that matters?

Personally I think the histories of places like Detroit are much more fascinating.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymhtysy View Post
It's clearly Boston and Philadelphia.
Absolutely, it's all over the place in those two cities in regards to America's plight to gain independence, pre-1800s. However NYC and DC moved to the forefront in the mid to late 1800s with DC being the nation's capitol and NYC becoming the industrialized/financial center of the world.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Really tired of the accepted opinion that "historic" basically refers to 6th grade Social Studies kind of "historic." ya ya Paul Revere, Ben Franklin, tea part, a whole bunch of vague things that people don't actually understand. Why is THAT the only history that matters?

Personally I think the histories of places like Detroit are much more fascinating.
The thread isn't: "What are the only historic US cities?"

The thread is: "What are the MOST historic US Cities?"

Obviously, places like Detroit, San Francisco, etc. have history... the MOST historic would be the oldest in the country, where the most happened: i.e. Philadelphia, Boston, New York City, etc.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
By this, I mean cities that have had a significant impact on American history and are filled with historical sights. The cities and towns that just ooz good old classic America and its history.
Hands down, it's Philadelphia.

It's not called the "Cradle of Liberty" because it's a good marketing slogan but because almost every significant decision and event related to the creation and establishment of the United States of America occurred in Philadelphia.

Arguably, without Philadelphia, the United States of America, would not exist.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM

43 posts, read 34,812 times
Philadelphia is definitely number one not only because it's the Birthplace of America (conception) but it also has a very long list of firsts and inventions as well. Not to mention the metro area sites on top of that.

In addition to that, out of all the historic cities in the US, it is by far the best at preserving their history than others.

Boston is a very close second, but unfortunately, it's so gentrified that they favor the luxury condo over the historic building. I hope Philadelphia doesn't follow that route. Boston has become soulless and sacrificed it's character for the dollar bill.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 PM

311 posts, read 314,141 times
I voted Philly and Boston, but DC is up there for sure even though it came in late and I think NYC should be on the list as well.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
The thread isn't: "What are the only historic US cities?"

The thread is: "What are the MOST historic US Cities?"

Obviously, places like Detroit, San Francisco, etc. have history... the MOST historic would be the oldest in the country, where the most happened: i.e. Philadelphia, Boston, New York City, etc.
But why is this what everyone is always talking about? I don't necessarily agree that it's the "most" anyway.

I have been a tour guide in boston. For the record, I find quite a lot of the actual boston history very tiring. The ideas behind the people and the people can be more interesting. But honestly it gets quite dull.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Philadelphia is definitely number one not only because it's the Birthplace of America (conception) but it also has a very long list of firsts and inventions as well. Not to mention the metro area sites on top of that.

In addition to that, out of all the historic cities in the US, it is by far the best at preserving their history than others.

Boston is a very close second, but unfortunately, it's so gentrified that they favor the luxury condo over the historic building. I hope Philadelphia doesn't follow that route. Boston has become soulless and sacrificed it's character for the dollar bill.
Nailed it... Boston is knocking down historic buildings to put up condo's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City