Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State has Better Beaches (activities,water, appearance,swimmable,weather)
California Beaches 79 34.96%
Florida Beaches 147 65.04%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

46 posts, read 79,785 times

Advertisements

As a native of SoCal, I'm going with Cali beaches. Florida might've been first, but we do it better. They obviously both have great beaches and, like all of these subjective polls, comes down to preference and regional bias. Outside of Miami, Florida has to compete with three, coastal metropolitan areas (SD, LA, SF-OAK) with beautiful scenery and beaches. I'll admit, the beaches close to LA can be a bit dirty but we have over 800 miles of beautiful coast in between all three areas. LIke California, Florida has some nasty spots along their 500 miles of coast, but they have beautiful places too and quick access to the Caribbean (the only advantage over California).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,999,244 times
^^ Dont forget the Florida Keys they are Caribean beaches (basically at least) and some of the Gulf beaches are really nice as well. Though agree on subjectivity and I fond aspects of both I love and some not as much, like the diversity actually

Dry Tortugas beach, Florida Keys | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Florida Keys | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,124,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Coronado Beach, Trestles, Laguna, Venice (best urban beach), Santa Monica (good all-purpose beach) Zuma Beach in Malibu is breathtaking, Carmel and Big Sur are the twin titans of west coast beaches.

To me its Cali, no contest. You get the best of a pacific mexican shoreline combined with the Mediterranean feel of the beaches along the Adriatic in Italy. Florida's beaches are too "resort-y" for me.

If we're counting the keys though...I guess that would put Florida neck & neck with Cali. Its just to me Cali embodies the American beach.

Also I surf, so Florida doesn't accommodate my needs.
as much as I love the Keys, nobody would ever travel that far and expect to have the typical beach experience unless you enjoy laying on sharp rocks.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,911,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
as much as I love the Keys, nobody would ever travel that far and expect to have the typical beach experience unless you enjoy laying on sharp rocks.
I agree the Keys are probably the worse place to go in Florida for a beach experience. Florida win this in my opinion. The California coast is great to look at, but outside of Socal you can't get in the water even in the summer time without a wetsuit.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,985,925 times
Are the rocks really that sharp and numerous in the Keys? Are the beaches in the keys too small and skinny?

Old 02-05-2024, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 188 times
Default For me its California beaches and I am from the Caribbean

[IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjS5bAaZiNXnDWn88[IMG]

Nothing but Hawaii beats California beaches in the US. Can't compare. Water is nice and clear with good water temp. Not bathtub temps.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:42 AM

17,352 posts, read 15,524,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Are the rocks really that sharp and numerous in the Keys? Are the beaches in the keys too small and skinny?
Yeah, they are. The Florida Keys are literal "key islands," in other words, coral reefs that breached the surface, got exposed to the elements, and stuff began to grow on them. Basically, if there is any sand at all, directly under the thin layer is solid coral. If you go in the water, the bottom is solid, sharp "rock." Trust me, I thought it would be a good idea to go swimming off of Marathon Key -- It wasn't.

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.7043...5375?entry=ttu

The vast majority of Florida's NICE beaches are barrier islands, which are basically all sand. That includes Siesta Key, which isn't a key island at all.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:54 AM

977 posts, read 733,660 times
This basically just comes down to:

CA: bigger surf, colder water (from 'a bit brisk' in San Diego to 'not safe for humans without wetsuit' north of SF), more beautiful surroundings with mountains/headlands visible and occasionally steep cliffs

FL: calmer, clearer, warmer water, generally softer sand

I don't really have an opinion as they are both nice, in different ways. If I wanted to purely lay on the sand, it's a wash. If I want to go in the water to surf, CA. If I want to go in the water to comfortably splash around (or bring the kids), FL

No right or wrong answer. Though I would say, I knew CA was cold but I was surprised at actually how cold. I grew up in New England and the water off of Cape Cod, considered cold by most on the east coast, was warmer than San Diego by July. The farthest north I've swam in CA is Santa Monica, imagine there's a big gradient somewhere below SF where it gets too cold for most people (68 is my personal cutoff for comfortable, I know some people are >70).

Old 02-05-2024, 09:15 AM

1,081 posts, read 806,638 times
Ocean currents on the west coast bring cold water from Alaska down to California (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Current), which makes for cold water temps and a thick marine layer. Additionally, this current along with the shape of the coast causes up welling that brings cold water from the depths to the surface. These currents have much less effect south of Point Conception (near Santa Barbara).

I lived in Santa Cruz for a long time, never really enjoyed the beach there. The ocean was fine for looking at, fishing, surfing... but we almost never went to the beach. The water and air temps are too cold, and the marine layer makes for some very gloomy stretches in summer. Though great for hiking and mountain biking! SoCal beaches are somewhat better. Still, we decided that if we want a beach experience out west it's better to visit Hawaii or Mexico.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:24 AM

9,956 posts, read 6,666,570 times
Florida easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City