Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC2010 View Post
What does downtown St Louis look like at the moment? Is there movement towards the city? I have been to St Louis several times and could not believe the number of vacant buildings on MO side, speaking about entire neighborhoods!! Anything happening with these historic place or is it too late?
Downtown has a very strong residential market (one of the strongest in the metro area), but it's struggling in the retail and office sectors. A lot of people want to live and party downtown, but not as many are interested in shopping or working there. There is, however, a full service grocery store downtown that's been incredibly useful in luring residents, and a movie theatre and St. Louis University's new law school just opened down there this year, so it's not 100% residential.

Yes, there are lots of vacant buildings, especially on the north side. That's what happens when over half of a city's population packs up for the suburbs. Some are being rehabbed one by one and some are being torn down in the hopes that someone will want to build something on the vacant land. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 02:20 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I just got back from Indianapolis and loved it. I was going to start a new thread on this comparison but I ran across this one. I would definitely choose St Louis due to mass transit and variation in urban living. I did enjoy Indianapolis.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Indianapolis, mostly due to the central location to all areas of the eastern US, milder summer temperatures, and better air quality.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:55 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Indianapolis seems to be in better shape in some ways, but less interesting.
Not a fan of Indiana in general. It's not bad, it's just... there.
I do like Missouri a good bit.
I'd pick St. Louis. It is kind of a neat place. Lots of interesting history. It's been a major city for a longer period of time. Used to be one of the biggest and it still has a major-city vibe to it. Definitely get a feeling of being somewhere when you're there.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Having been to both several times, definitely St. Louis. Downtown St. Louis is nice and the “collar suburbs” (Clayton, University City, Webster Grove, etc) are really cool and interesting suburbs. Nice balance of urban/suburban. Greater St. Louis is drastically underrated.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:26 PM

60 posts, read 57,816 times
Indianapolis has a better downtown and a stronger economy. Saint Louis has some of the worst ghettos in America, way worse than the bad parts of Indy. That said, Saint Louis has more character and has the cool urban strip between downtown and Clayton. Both are better cities than they get credit for.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:12 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Yes, there are lots of vacant buildings, especially on the north side. That's what happens when over half of a city's population packs up for the suburbs. Some are being rehabbed one by one and some are being torn down in the hopes that someone will want to build something on the vacant land. Time will tell.
It is still full of vacant buildings, run down, crime ridden areas. St. Louis continues to lose population while the suburbs gain. Indianapolis's downtown is better. It is more vibrant and not as many empty buildings. I did not feel safe in downtown St. Louis.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is still full of vacant buildings, run down, crime ridden areas. St. Louis continues to lose population while the suburbs gain. Indianapolis's downtown is better. It is more vibrant and not as many empty buildings. I did not feel safe in downtown St. Louis.
I knew you would respond that way.

I am not just writing about Downtown. I am thinking about the entire region. I do believe Downtown Indianapolis is more inviting. St. Louis has a lot to offer in terms of attractions but Indianapolis has smarter planning.

I really do like both.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:42 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
St. Louis has completely intolerable summer temperatures due to the urban heat island to go along with stifling levels of humidity. Indianapolis is not on the same level regarding that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City