Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,858,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
LOL, you're so right! Who would want to bother with Dallas when they have all this scenic beauty 4 hrs away in Houston.
Oh come on. Where in Houston is that?
Oh wait, that must be Baytown or Channelview. Which is not Houston.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 5,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Machine is definetely a troll!

yeah he's me.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,295,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Dallas metro is a dry, treeless prairie.
Hey!
I think I do a good job of being moderate on this forum, of trying not to be biased (and when I am I admit it).
But you obviously know **** about Dallas.
Stop being a troll, if you want to contribute FINE, but don't spout lies about cities you have no idea about.
This goes for those from Dallas too, I'm sick of these immature trolls. shoving everyone else's city down everyone else's throat.
This will probably be ignored and nothing will change, but whatever.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,470,716 times
Neither. I'd rather stroll up and down Michigan Avenue and this is coming from a Native Texan. Rodeo Drive is nice but it's short. I prefer Michigan Avenue since it's more longer thus more stores and practical in selection. If you need to have that Rodeo Drive fix while in Chicago, make a left on Oak Street--the one-block long boutique annex to the Magnificent Mile. But honestly, why are we turning fellow Texans against each other?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM

20 posts, read 54,280 times
I apologize for reviving this thread...but I had to respond to an ignorant comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
I've been to Scottsdale, Fashion Square is where anything close to "upscale" is. I can give you a list of stores that aren't in Scottsdale that Houston and Dallas have had for years.
But define what you consider "upscale", because there's a huge difference between Ralph Lauren and Polo, and between Giorgio Armani and Emporio Armani I hope you know.
I'm not doing any research on wikipedia, that thing is edited by bigger idiots than you .
I think most people realize the difference between RL and Polo...but before you make a comment, you should realize that Phoenix has one of the most stocked Ralph Laurens in the country (RL Home all the way to RL Purple, Black, Collection, etc....in fact Houston doesn't carry all the labels...)

Dallas, yes, Houston, no. As you might know if you have been following the retail industry over the past few years, Dallas has been booming whereas Houston has remained relatively stagnant (and has even contracted in terms of sales volume over the past few years). The revitalization of NorthPark and Highland Park Village (after Dior closed) has launched Dallas way ahead of Houston in terms of luxury retail options; so yes, Dallas has several stores that may or may not ever come to Phoenix.

Keep in mind that Phoenix is a much smaller city than either Dallas or Houston. But Phoenix has been growing particularly fast in terms of retail, and within the last year or two has been able to gain (already built or under construction) almost all the major luxury retailers Houston has (e.g. Bottega, Bvlgari, CH Carolina, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, YSL, etc). Moreover, as AZLiam said, there are several retailers that are already present (e.g. Calypso, Escada, roberto botticelli), or have already committed to Phoenix/Scottsdale that have yet to even mention Houston on their radar (e.g. Barneys NY, Bloomingdale's, John Varvatos, Leiber, Nanette Lepore, Oscar de la Renta, Theory, etc.)

Yes...there are still some retailers Houston has that Phoenix/Scottsdale doesn't have...but within the next few years or so it will be pretty much comparable, whereas Dallas will still remain pretty far ahead.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolos View Post
I apologize for reviving this thread...but I had to respond to an ignorant comment.

I think most people realize the difference between RL and Polo...but before you make a comment, you should realize that Phoenix has one of the most stocked Ralph Laurens in the country (RL Home all the way to RL Purple, Black, Collection, etc....in fact Houston doesn't carry all the labels...)

Dallas, yes, Houston, no. As you might know if you have been following the retail industry over the past few years, Dallas has been booming whereas Houston has remained relatively stagnant (and has even contracted in terms of sales volume over the past few years). The revitalization of NorthPark and Highland Park Village (after Dior closed) has launched Dallas way ahead of Houston in terms of luxury retail options; so yes, Dallas has several stores that may or may not ever come to Phoenix.

Keep in mind that Phoenix is a much smaller city than either Dallas or Houston. But Phoenix has been growing particularly fast in terms of retail, and within the last year or two has been able to gain (already built or under construction) almost all the major luxury retailers Houston has (e.g. Bottega, Bvlgari, CH Carolina, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, YSL, etc). Moreover, as AZLiam said, there are several retailers that are already present (e.g. Calypso, Escada, roberto botticelli), or have already committed to Phoenix/Scottsdale that have yet to even mention Houston on their radar (e.g. Barneys NY, Bloomingdale's, John Varvatos, Leiber, Nanette Lepore, Oscar de la Renta, Theory, etc.)

Yes...there are still some retailers Houston has that Phoenix/Scottsdale doesn't have...but within the next few years or so it will be pretty much comparable, whereas Dallas will still remain pretty far ahead.
What is the point of this rant? Do you have to bash Houston in order to make your own city look good? How about you state the positives of your city without trashing other cities.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,612,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
texas people live in their own world i swear.....

fashion destinations?

when i think of texas i think of cowboys and wannabe californians ...im sorry
That's because California people live in there own world too, I swear. Maybe you haven't caught on yet but there is alot more to Texas than "cowboys and wannabe Californians"

Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,442,849 times
I have shopped in Dallas, Houston, New York, Vegas, etc. They almost all have the same upscale stores, and you can purchase almost everything in all the cities. I will say, for people that have not been to Texas, you would probably be surprised at the high end level of retail available in both Houston and Dallas. Both Houston and Dallas have more than there fair share of extremely wealthy people that like to purchase the same high end merchandise that people in New York and LA like to purchase.

In terms of shopping related to the two? Whichever you can get to quickest. Really, this shouldn't even be that big of an argument. Both cities have a very similar shopping scene. You can go to the Ferregamo store, while your wife picks up some Jimmy Choos. You can then wander over to the Louis Vitton store, while your wife cashes out your 401k to put her name on the waiting list for the newest Birkin at the Hermes store.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,416,840 times
Default Too much upscale isn't good right now

hey I wouldn't be so big right now on upscale. With the recession and all upscale could take a pretty big hit. I don't think you want too much upscale you are probably better in moderation right now.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 54,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What is the point of this rant? Do you have to bash Houston in order to make your own city look good? How about you state the positives of your city without trashing other cities.
....Did you even read the post? Nothing in that post trashes Houston, Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City