Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And Sony-Erickson moved their Latin American HQ's here last year, merged it with the Raleigh division and renamed it the America's HQ's.

Why? To be closer to their largest client, AT&T Mobility. You guys are refusing to look at the total picture.

There is a reason there is more office space and hotel rooms here than in all of Southeast Florida.
Yes there is a reason, because ATL is an older city. Miami(and Florida in general) hasn't really had a HUGE foothold outside of the tourist and service industry. That's common knowledge. It doesn't have much to do with Atlanta dominance and or influence. Miami especially being a post-Civil War city. Miami's still relatively new. Yes, I agree it did move to be closer to Cingular(which was already HQ'ed in ATL). That's just one example.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
I guess you don't involve yourself with anything related to banking when in Lousiana? You just refuse to admit that you are wrong, or just can't wrap your head around Atlanta's influence of the region.

I don't like to refer to poll numbers ususally, but it appears that quite a few here "get it."
The poll doesn't ask whether or not Atlanta influences Louisiana. Business in Louisiana is focused around Houston, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans, then Atlanta and Dallas. I don't see how Atlanta running banks influences Louisiana. I don't think I'm wrong obviously, but I'm not surprised, many Atlanta boosters think they run the country.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Even if AT&T Mobility is HQ'ed in Atl, AT&T overall is HQ'd in Dallas. So, would Dallas have some influence and presidence over Atlanta? And about the federal reserve, The west coast branch is HQ'd in SF, and the Texas branch is HQ'd in Dallas, yet many would find it hard that Dallas and or SF presides over the West-coast or Texas as a sphere of influence regardless of what city the FED Branch of their region is located.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:40 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Even if AT&T Mobility is HQ'ed in Atl, AT&T overall is HQ'd in Dallas. So, would Dallas have some influence and presidence over Atlanta? And about the federal reserve, The west coast branch is HQ'd in SF, and the Texas branch is HQ'd in Dallas, yet many would find it hard that Dallas and or SF presides over the West-coast or Texas as a sphere of influence regardless of what city the FED Branch of their region is located.

Honestly as bad as AT&T is, that is not something to be so proud of...................

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The poll doesn't ask whether or not Atlanta influences Louisiana. Business in Louisiana is focused around Houston, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans, then Atlanta and Dallas. I don't see how Atlanta running banks influences Louisiana. I don't think I'm wrong obviously, but I'm not surprised, many Atlanta boosters think they run the country.
I hardly think we run the country, but the amount of denial around here as to our importance is borderline delusional.

And if it wasn't for the Atlanta Fed during Katrina, there would have been serious cash flow issues for Lousiana. Hard to accept reality I guess.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. The merger with AT&T would have never happened without Cingular remaining here. It was part of the deal between BellSouth and SBC. They call the shots on the most profitable part of the entire company from here, with little to no influence from Dallas.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
Quote:
I hardly think we run the country, but the amount of denial around here as to our importance is borderline delusional.

I agree,

Here is a map of the Federal Reserve System, y'all decide how big Atlanta is....and Its influence...... Sorry Annie, but yes Atlanta does control south LA.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Federal_Reserve_Districts_Map.svg

Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes there is a reason, because ATL is an older city. Miami(and Florida in general) hasn't really had a HUGE foothold outside of the tourist and service industry. That's common knowledge. It doesn't have much to do with Atlanta dominance and or influence. Miami especially being a post-Civil War city. Miami's still relatively new. Yes, I agree it did move to be closer to Cingular(which was already HQ'ed in ATL). That's just one example.
Just out of curiousity, how many corporate relocations to South Florida have happened lately?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, how many corporate relocations to South Florida have happened lately?
Probably not many(if any). But I don't see how that would matter, because I never argued Miami's dominance or influence on anywhere outside of Florida. I agree ATL is the Capital of the South for cultural, historical, and geographical reasons. I just think most of Florida isn't really under the geographic sphere of influence of anywhere outside of Florida. When it comes to regional things like the Federal Reserve, Atlanta is the main city(which in the end goes back to geography and only geography). But Miami is a metro of 5million(roughly the same size as Atlanta), and Florida is a state of 18million. Can't really see Atlanta presiding over a state that large, that HAS a city that can counterbalance anything Atlanta offers. Outside of the companies that are HQ'd in GA, and the Federal Reserve(which shows Dallas controlling Texas and SF controlling CA, but most residents of those states would find it hard-pressed that SF and Dallas completely influences any direction those states goes to). I don't see how what happens in GA has presidence over the average Floridian. If they open a Whopper Bar in GA, will that give Florida some sort of leg-up in influence?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Probably not many(if any). But I don't see how that would matter, because I never argued Miami's dominance or influence on anywhere outside of Florida. I agree ATL is the Capital of the South for cultural, historical, and geographical reasons. I just think most of Florida isn't really under the geographic sphere of influence of anywhere outside of Florida. When it comes to regional things like the Federal Reserve, Atlanta is the main city(which in the end goes back to geography and only geography). But Miami is a metro of 5million(roughly the same size as Atlanta), and Florida is a state of 18million. Can't really see Atlanta presiding over a state that large, that HAS a city that can counterbalance anything Atlanta offers. Outside of the companies that are HQ'd in GA, and the Federal Reserve(which shows Dallas controlling Texas and SF controlling CA, but most residents of those states would find it hard-pressed that SF and Dallas completely influences any direction those states goes to). I don't see how what happens in GA has presidence over the average Floridian. If they open a Whopper Bar in GA, will that give Florida some sort of leg-up in influence?
As you know, I love and defend Florida and spent a big chunk of my life there. This is not a bash on Florida, Lousiana or anywhere else. Anyone in the corporate world in Florida (including Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) will tell you that Atlanta dominates the State when it comes to doing business in this region.

If you live in Florida and bank at SunTrust, if you shop Home Depot, if you fly Delta, if you eat at numerous chains, if you ship via UPS, if you charge anything on your Macy's card, if you order contacts from CibaVision, if you drink Coca-Cola products, if you watch any of Time-Warners multiple cable channels, if you write a check or use an ATM, if you need to have a regional meeting with partners at any of the big consulting firms (PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, etc.), if you need to access ANY Federal agency (except NASA), if you have a Cisco cable box, if you subscribe to Cox Cable or listen to thier radio or watch their TV stations or subscribe to one of their papers, if you buy Georgia Pacific consumer products, if your Doctor needs info or resources from the CDC, etc., then you are interacting with Atlanta.

Sorry for so many examples, but this is becoming tiresome. Again, despite the almost equal population of SE Florida with metro Atlanta, there is absolutely no comparison in which direction business eminates from. It eminates from here for the most part. If you are a Florida resident, you are impacted very much by Atlanta. It simply is not the same situation in reverse, by any stretch of the imagination.

I have tried in vain to locate the airport data I mentioned earlier - sorry, I can't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City