Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

All you people with skewed visions of what constitutes non-boundaried areas of this country:: DC is not the south. Come to the "North" in MN, WI, ND, SD, MI and Iowa and we'll all tell you DC isn't south. We had two kids move to our school that we became big friends with, even to this day. One was from Newport News, VA and the other from Raleigh, NC and the kid from NC would always get poked at for being from the "South". He even had the same accent as the kid from VA. But no one mentioned anything about the south. Maybe Minnesotan and our great education have made us Geographical geniuses. Or at least common sense.

It's close. Real close. But most people here consider Virginia as kinda East Coast, kinda south. But DC is regarded as the East Coast to us here. My best friend living in VA for the military came home to get married. You wouldn't believe how many people asked "So How's it going out East?". "Hows the East Coast??"

It is what it is. It may be the south. I've been to DC. It seemed like any other East Coast city I'd been to -Philly, Baltimore, NYC, Boston (kinda). But again, I visited. I may not know anything. But from our standpoint and I really feel like I am speaking for the entire Upper Midwest that DC isn't the south

The map is broken down into 4 simple areas -West, Midwest, South and East Coast. Don't get finicky. I made it in about :14 seconds. It's a pretty basic breakdown of how most average USA citizens would probably categorize the areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Capital of the South?-map.jpg  

Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Of course denial is the first reaction by those that are unwilling to accept they live in the Oreo, bland, and greasy deep south. Atlanta's love for fried food is an epitome of deep southern culture, where all foods can acceptably be "fried".
I notice only Atlanta gets called an "oreo" when it's more diverse then most of the country, anyway below

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Quote:
Atlanta is in the middle of the deep south and it's diversity of only whites and blacks deems it worthy of southern capital status.
You know Atlanta is more diverse than Philly, Boston, the Twin cities, Seattle, and etc right? and Atlanta is among the few places that have 3 racial groups above 10%, and soon to become minority majority I'm just saying.

Also your view of the south in general
Census: South second to West in diversity - Atlanta Business Chronicle

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/a...mas/change.png

Also having the 12 largest forgiven born population isn't bad either,

To learn more

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...v2011_SORB.pdf

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...011_Census.pdf

Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Of course denial is the first reaction by those that are unwilling to accept they live in the Oreo, bland, and greasy deep south. Atlanta's love for fried food is an epitome of deep southern culture, where all foods can acceptably be "fried".
How rich!

Funny thing is, you would have to travel all the way to Brooklyn to enjoy such delicacies as deep fried chocolate pudding, twinkies and Mars Bars. We have no such garbage here.

http://chipshopnyc.com/images/TakeoutMenuP1.jpg

Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Atlanta's mentaility is getting to big for its britches.
And here we have it. Thank you for finally admitting what your posts have been dancing around forever.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Exactly but these ATL boosters can't get it through their thick skulls. No one cares or talks about Atlanta in Louisiana. Much of Atlanta's energy, and imports come from where, New Orleans. So does New Orleans influence Atlanta? No.
And it appears there are other thick-skulled people here that just flat out refuse to give credit where credit is due.

I will repeat myself YET AGAIN - in the corporate business world AND the Federal agency world, Atlanta DOMINATES the Southeast, and other portions of the South. Including all of Florida, from Miami north.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How rich!

Funny thing is, you would have to travel all the way to Brooklyn to enjoy such delicacies as deep fried chocolate pudding, twinkies and Mars Bars. We have no such garbage here.

http://chipshopnyc.com/images/TakeoutMenuP1.jpg
How did you know I live in Brooklyn?

You realize Oreo modeled cities have limited cuisines right? Atlanta is one example.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
How did you know I live in Brooklyn?

You realize Oreo modeled cities have limited cuisines right? Atlanta is one example.
I didn't. Your location simply states NY.

And you really shouldn't speak of things you have no knowledge of. Limited cuisine is one thing you simply can't pin on Atlanta, and anyone with a brain knows it.

At least now you know you have access to the sort of food you seem to be infatuated with.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:54 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
And it appears there are other thick-skulled people here that just flat out refuse to give credit where credit is due.

I will repeat myself YET AGAIN - in the corporate business world AND the Federal agency world, Atlanta DOMINATES the Southeast, and other portions of the South. Including all of Florida, from Miami north.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:

DC dominates the federal agency world. And NYC dominates the corporate world. Atlanta may be a HUGE regional city as far as large companies HQ's go, but it's no different than Miami being an HQ center for Latin-American versions of large American companies. Heck, Universal Music Latino is HQ'd in Miami Beach. That doesn't mean Miami's sphere of influence extends to Rio. Most Floridians look to Miami as the "large" city as far as Sphere of Influence. I think we're getting these 2 arguments mixed up. But, I agree, as a whole, ATL is the capital, due to it's geography and history. I think Atlanta is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more influential city all over the South than Miami will ever be.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
DC dominates the federal agency world. And NYC dominates the corporate world. Atlanta may be a HUGE regional city as far as large companies HQ's go, but it's no different than Miami being an HQ center for Latin-American versions of large American companies. Heck, Universal Music Latino is HQ'd in Miami Beach. That doesn't mean Miami's sphere of influence extends to Rio. Most Floridians look to Miami as the "large" city as far as Sphere of Influence. I think we're getting these 2 arguments mixed up. But, I agree, as a whole, ATL is the capital, due to it's geography and history. I think Atlanta is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more influential city all over the South than Miami will ever be.
Sigh.

What part of Atlanta being the Southeast HQ's for all of the Federal Agencies do you not understand? This means that when these agencies interact with Florida in any way, there are coming down from Atlanta. This creates air travel demand from here, not D.C. They have to deal with the Atlanta branches before anything even reaches D.C.

Remember the whole Elian Gonzalez bro-haha? When the family had exhausted all appeals in Miami, where did everything end up? Here, at the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals - which covers ALL of Florida. It's the last stop on the way to the Supreme Court.

Miami simply has no equivalent to this, including the corporate world. And with the exception of those directly employed by the Latin American HQ's of companies in Miami, nobody else in the entire South is impacted by them in any way. It's a completely different dynamic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City