Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
scranton's getting there this year. give it some time
Well to be fair we HAVE had more national press lately than any other American city. From Forbes to Money to "The Office" to "Saturday Night Live" to several upcoming feature films, Scranton is becoming more and more of a household name it would seem. Then again when locals consider Wal-Mart to be the best employer methinks it's time to seek refuge in Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM

160 posts, read 518,019 times
Houston, the putrid land of strip malls and ugly subdivisions, even the beach, which is not all that close, sucks too. YIKES!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 PM

378 posts, read 626,305 times
The worst city I've ever been to is where I live now, Stockton CA. You go to the East side only to see graffiti everywhere and crackheads standing at the gas stations. Combine this with more illegal aliens than citizens and you've got yourself one dreadful place. You see obvious gang members everyday, you get hard stares because the illegals hate you. It's not always this bad... but at times it is. But oh well... that's how the U.S. Government wants it.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I thoroughly disliked Memphis, TN.

When we went, I was excited to see a new place but was very disappointed. It just seemed like a dirty, crime ridden area. The whole area around "Graceland" was a joke. Cheesy, neon, Elvis themed crappy motels in the midst of the ghetto. (No, I didn't go to Graceland, just drove by)

The only part I like was the "Peabody Hotel" downtown. Very nice.
The famous "duck walk" to and from the fountain was fun.
The area around Graceland is surprisingly dumpy.
If you're ever in Memphis again, drive out Poplar into East Memphis...that area is really the best that the city has to offer.

Some of the worst I've experienced:

Morristown, NJ
Newark, NJ
Bridgeport, CT

Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The area around Graceland is surprisingly dumpy.
If you're ever in Memphis again, drive out Poplar into East Memphis...that area is really the best that the city has to offer.

Some of the worst I've experienced:

Morristown, NJ
Newark, NJ
Bridgeport, CT

lol, nice

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Toss up -- Long Beach California or Tacoma Washington. Too many fowl people.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,743 times
Dirty Socks, CA. Don't go there, it's sounds like it smells (thought, to be fair, a few mobile homes do not constitute a city). As for worst real cities that I've been to, well, I'm not fond of Fresno or Stockton. There are quaint, friendly little valley towns (not too different than most Midwest towns I'd assume), and then there are boring, hot valley towns with more gangs than good times.

Outside of CA? Well, I'm not too fond of Reno (except during Hot August Nights).

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
I wouldn't say the worst by any means but for me, Las Vegas was very disappointing. I guess it's just not my bag although I understand why a lot of people love it. Now, on the upside, I loved Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Reno. I guess I was hoping for more of that in Vegas.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:50 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Detroit.

If you go outside of downtown, a lot of the city looks like Berlin at the end of WW2.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
winslow arizona was pretty bad, i couldn't wait to get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City