Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
I don't know about NY having that much gang activity per capita actually.

Chicago is most violent city in U.S. - it's probably the worst.

I know Houston and Dallas are pretty bad in some parts, so is L.A. and Miami.

NOLA is like one big gang, same with memphis and detroit
New Orleans and Miami are not big in gangs at all. It's mostly drugs, cartels, and turf. Never was about the organized gangs like LA and Chicago. Houston has a large gang population because alot of people from Los Angeles and Chicago brought it there.

The answer to this thread is either Chicago or LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Between NYC and LA, it would be LA.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 16,329 times
So many misinformed people on this thread. I got one word Chicago. Chicago has two times the amount of gang members Los Angeles has. There are 80,000 gang members in the city of Chicago, there are only 38,000 in Los angeles. New york really doesn't have a gang problem, an there nothing like Chicago gangs. Chicago has been gang capital 3 strait years, percentage of homicides gang related. Chicago has by far the most gang activity of any city in United states, not even close.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:49 PM

86 posts, read 341,226 times
im surprised nobody has mentioned the bay area. oakland/richmond have some rough and nasty streets with plenty of gangs, not to mention oakland and richmond are i think in the top 10 of the most dangerous cities in america.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm not the most informed on this topic but I know there's Gangster Disciples, Latin Kings, Folk Nation, People Nation, P-Stone nation...etc etc

From what I hear there are hundreds of different sets throughout the city.

The people and folk nations aren't gangs but gang alliances. Different gangs forming into nations.
There are probably more people claiming to be Crips than anything but I would say Gangs like the Gangster Disciples are potentially way more dangerous because they are much better organized.

Edit: I mean there are people claiming to be crips all over the place not just Chicago.

Last edited by Bail_Khan; 11-28-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
The people and folk nations aren't gangs but gang alliances. Different gangs forming into nations.
There are probably more people claiming to be Crips than anything but I would say Gangs like the Gangster Disciples are potentially way more dangerous because they are much better organized.
I think the difference between a "gang" and a "gang alliance" or "nation" is incidental to most folks. Any group of three or more street thugs trying to prove how tough they are is a gang - it really doesn't matter if they are real Crips or "Crips-light"...they end up bringing the same results to whichever city is lucky enough to be their home.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:47 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think the difference between a "gang" and a "gang alliance" or "nation" is incidental to most folks. Any group of three or more street thugs trying to prove how tough they are is a gang - it really doesn't matter if they are real Crips or "Crips-light"...they end up bringing the same results to whichever city is lucky enough to be their home.
I agree in a way, idiots out to prove they are tough can be very dangerous. But they have a tendency to come and go.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM

196 posts, read 628,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRay View Post
So many misinformed people on this thread. I got one word Chicago. Chicago has two times the amount of gang members Los Angeles has. There are 80,000 gang members in the city of Chicago, there are only 38,000 in Los angeles. New york really doesn't have a gang problem, an there nothing like Chicago gangs. Chicago has been gang capital 3 strait years, percentage of homicides gang related. Chicago has by far the most gang activity of any city in United states, not even close.
That's nothing to be proud of, or to glamorize.

But, the city of Los Angeles has 152,000 gang members alone, with many more outside of the city limits. But, due to the increased number of gang injunctions placed on these scumbags, their numbers are hardly growing at all!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
New Orleans and Miami are not big in gangs at all. It's mostly drugs, cartels, and turf. Never was about the organized gangs like LA and Chicago. Houston has a large gang population because alot of people from Los Angeles and Chicago brought it there.

The answer to this thread is either Chicago or LA.
Actually Miami and South Fla are big on gangs NOW. Drug cartels used to be the main crime source, but now days gang violence is getting rerally high in south FLA. All the old drug cartels have either been busted or most members sent to prison or dead. The drug cartels are opperating from locations outside the US and sending drugs to the gangs. Gang related homicide have jumped tremendously in the past 6yrs in SOUTH FLA. Especially in Palm Beach County and places like north miami-dade carol city, liberty city. The most violent gangs are the home grown gangs, the gangs that started there and are not influenced by gangs from outside the state. As a matter of fact John Does gang and Boobie boys , Zoe Pound were among the largest and violent gangs in the city. But the only violent gang in South Fla that is from outside the state are MS-13 AND SUR-13. There resposivle for a couple of homicides here and there.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
im surprised nobody has mentioned the bay area. oakland/richmond have some rough and nasty streets with plenty of gangs, not to mention oakland and richmond are i think in the top 10 of the most dangerous cities in america.
San Francisco too, as well as San Jose, and some other cities, to a smaller extent. basically any city in the USA is going to have gang problems of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City