Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of the South
Coral Gables, Florida 51 10.52%
Buckhead (Atlanta, Georgia) 148 30.52%
Highland Village (Dallas, Texas) 58 11.96%
SouthPark (Charlotte, North Carolina) 12 2.47%
South Beach (Miami, Florida) 77 15.88%
Uptown Houston (Houston, Texas) 43 8.87%
Palm Beach, Florida 134 27.63%
Georgetown (Washington, D.C.) 33 6.80%
Doctor Phillips (Orlando, Florida) 11 2.27%
Galleria area (Dallas, Texas) 20 4.12%
French Quarters (New Orleans, Louisiana) 14 2.89%
Other 32 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 485. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
West Palm Beach it's self IS poor, and it has one of the HIGHEST crime rates in the nation. I think you meant to say Palm Beach, is not to be confused with West Palm Beach. These are two different cities right across the water from each other.
West Palm Beach isn't great either but its nothing like Royal Palms and the general area that is on the West side of the Turnpike. I'm sure West Palm has more crime but thats because its the center of economic activity for PBC. I bet a lot of the people that commit the crimes in WPB live on the other side of the turnpike.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM

72 posts, read 151,694 times
Default Buckhead hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Um.. let me think... have I heard of Worth Avenue? Uh, do you really want me to answer that question? Worth Avenue is absolutely beautiful but regardless of which street is longer, Buckhead has the highest concentration of upscale stores in this county. The NCAA indirectly capitalized on this fact a few years ago while in Atlanta (I know, how funny is that?). Then beyond Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza is an extremely diverse array of shopping, both upscale and bargin. This is why I said that said that the shopping is better. I won't even bring up the Streets of Buckhead. When I actually take the time to comment on these debates, I'm pulling from both personal experience and factual information. The whole time I was in Miami, I never once heard of anyone refer to Palm Beach as the "Beverly Hills of the South." If you just take the time to google that quote, Buckhead is the word you'll find in nearly all of the links. Another supporter of Palm Beach talked about the amount of "old money" down there. Yes, this may be the case BUT both Buckhead, North Fulton County, East Cobb and the western edge of Gwinnett County are booming affluent areas. By booming I mean they easily surpass the $100,000 per year barrier in terms of household income AND they keep on growing. As a matter of fact, last time I checked-- according to a study done in 2005, West Buckhead (30327) is sole zip code in the American Southeast to rank among the 50 wealthiest zip codes in the nation. Wait, make that in the American South period. Forbes Magazine backed up this claim when they released the 10 most affluent zip codes in the nation. Once again, only one southern zip code made the list and I don't even have to tell you which one. Have you even taken the time to drive West Paces Ferry, Tuxedo, Habersham, Northside, Mount Paran, or really any of the roads in that region? Yes, the biggest estates I've personally seen in Palm Beach are bigger than the biggest estates that I've seen in Buckhead, I give you that. When you're in Buckhead, you can run right out of Buckhead into Sandy Springs and not even know it. Thats the kind of wealth in that region. It just keeps going and going and going. I'll even give a nod in your favor and say that Palm Beach looks more like Southern California in terms of vegetation than does the Piedmont. Like i've said before, Atlanta is the most hated city in America. We all ban together to defend the South from the Northeast but Jesus when that war is over! We just retool and fight amongst each other. I could sit here and spit facts all day and ask for proofs of these retarded claims that people on here make like "young professionals can afford to live in Buckhead but not Palm Beach" when it is a fact that Buckhead has a higher average income than Palm Beach, but in the end it doesn't matter because its Atlanta and for that reason, it gets no credit. Point blank.

Oh, and to the smart aleck that asked if I've ever been to Florida. You ever heard of Tallahassee? Born and raised. To you, maybe thats the real reason why I'm in favor of Buckhead.

ISAWOOTY is so right. Buckhead, like BH has the celebrity factor, countless roads of mansions and/or multi-million dollar condos, the finest restaurants in the country and very expensive cars driving around on a day to day basis(check out the valet section of Lenox mall on any given day and spot a bentley, rolls royce, mercedes mclaren, ferrari, lambo, etc.) My brother and I joke on how range rovers(about $80,000 in value) are like hondas in Atlanta; everyone has one. You won't even get a second look in a normal BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. Buckhead also has extremely upscale shopping, which the streets of Buckhead is bringing a rodeo drive shopping experience. Did I mention the nightlife and entertainment choices in Buckhead are unparalleled. There is also an extremely prestige business district, comprised of high end investment banks like Goldman and JP Morgan, and other businesses such as the S.E.C(Securities and Exchange Commission. Last but not least, there are several five star hotels within blocks from one another; eg.) Ritz-Carlton, Hyatt Regency, as well as the world renowned St. Regis Hotel.

Having said all of this, what could compare more to Beverly Hills.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
House in Beverly Hills:

House in Palm Beach:
http://www.treehugger.com/2007-12-01_115920palmbeach.jpg (broken link)

Rodeo Drive:

Worth Avenue:

Nuff said.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
I believe the people have it right Palm Beach and Buckhead. It seems like Palm Beach is nicer and it's closer to the water like Beverly Hills, but Buckhead is closer to the major city it seems like beverly hills is to LA. Palms springs seems like it is far from Miami

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Yeah, Buckhead is closer to Atlanta than Palm Beach is to Miami. Buckhead is in Atlanta proper I believe right? Palm Beach is in Miami Metro Area but it's 2 counties away. Besides all that though, Palm Beach just looks like Beverly Hills especially in those pictures I posted. Can't go wrong with that.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Yeah it is located in Atlanta and I'm so happy I just got my appt in Buckhead today and I move in in 2 weeks, but anyway yeah palm beach looks more like Beverly hills with the plam trees and beach, but buckhead has coined itself as the beverly hills of the south cause it's an affluent, celebrity-area, with a lot of mansions in a small area close, but seperate from downtown.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Yeah it is located in Atlanta and I'm so happy I just got my appt in Buckhead today and I move in in 2 weeks, but anyway yeah palm beach looks more like Beverly hills with the plam trees and beach, but buckhead has coined itself as the beverly hills of the south cause it's an affluent, celebrity-area, with a lot of mansions in a small area close, but seperate from downtown.
Lol yeah Palm Beach has all that too though. Worth Avenue is known as the Rodeo Drive of the South.

Celebrities that have lived and/or still live in Palm Beach:
Donald trump
Ivana Trump
Michael Jackson
Rush Limbaugh
Jimmy Buffett
Rod Stewart
The Kennedy Family
Vera Wang
John Lennon

And those are just to name a few more well-known celebrites, and that is only Palm Beach, not even the rest of South Florida.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lol yeah Palm Beach has all that too though. Worth Avenue is known as the Rodeo Drive of the South.

Celebrities that have lived and/or still live in Palm Beach:
Donald trump
Ivana Trump
Michael Jackson
Rush Limbaugh
Jimmy Buffett
Rod Stewart
The Kennedy Family
Vera Wang
John Lennon

And those are just to name a few more well-known celebrites, and that is only Palm Beach, not even the rest of South Florida.
The Rockefellers
The Kennedys
The list goes on and on..

Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The Rockefellers
The Kennedys
The list goes on and on..
True true

Beverly Hills house:
http://www.architecturesdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/architecture-design/2009/08/Luxury-Architecture-House-of-Beckham.jpg (broken link)

Palm Beach house:

Rodeo Drive:

Worth Avenue:

Lol I could go on for hours...2 dream cars of mine, a lambo and a bentley wooot!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 PM

I thought this was weird and I didn't even realize it but Miracle Mile in Coral Gables which is an area in Miami has some signs that resemble those of Rodeo Drive:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.