Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

While we're on the subject of UA, why isn't Concord added to Charlottes UA? If you consider development around Concord Mills area it is pretty much connected to UC? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While we're on the subject of UA, why isn't Concord added to Charlottes UA? If you consider development around Concord Mills area it is pretty much connected to UC? I don't get it.
I guess not enough of it is residential in nature at this point...but I suspect that will change soon enough.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I guess not enough of it is residential in nature at this point...but I suspect that will change soon enough.
BINGO!!! And that is another problem I have with UAs. Two UAs (such as Raleigh and Durham) can be separated by a HUGE non-residential development (think RTP). UA in many instances only tell one side of the story (residential) while ignoring everything else. The only thing that separates Charlotte's UA border in Harrisburg from Concord/Kannapolis's UA border is the Speedway area. Now how crazy is that?

Also, Charlotte's southern UA border in Fort Mill is only about 2-3 miles from Rock Hill's UA border. To the west, Charlotte's UA stops near Belmont/Mt. Holly. This area is only 3-5 miles from Gastonia's UA. In time (due to rapid growth) Charlotte's UA to the SE near Indian Trail will soon link up with the town of Monroe.

Eventhough Charlotte's UA is VERY sprawly, it is a UA that is NOT far from jumping to the 1.4 to 1.5 million range (thanks to Charlotte growing into its "ring cities"). In the case of Raleigh/Durham, that area's UA will soon jump to 1.1 million thanks to Raleigh and Durham growing into each other. Currently, I'd have to say that Charlotte and Raleigh both have some of the most misleading UA populations in the Nation. This is yet another reason why I don't pay UAs much attention.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
BINGO!!! And that is another problem I have with UAs. Two UAs (such as Raleigh and Durham) can be separated by a HUGE non-residential development (think RTP). UA in many instances only tell one side of the story (residential) while ignoring everything else. The only thing that separates Charlotte's UA border in Harrisburg from Concord/Kannapolis's UA border is the Speedway area. Now how crazy is that?

Also, Charlotte's southern UA border in Fort Mill is only about 2-3 miles from Rock Hill's UA border. To the west, Charlotte's UA stops near Belmont/Mt. Holly. This area is only 3-5 miles from Gastonia's UA. In time (due to rapid growth) Charlotte's UA to the SE near Indian Trail will soon link up with the town of Monroe.

Eventhough Charlotte's UA is VERY sprawly, it is a UA that is NOT far from jumping to the 1.4 to 1.5 million range (thanks to Charlotte growing into its "ring cities"). In the case of Raleigh/Durham, that area's UA will soon jump to 1.1 million thanks to Raleigh and Durham growing into each other. Currently, I'd have to say that Charlotte and Raleigh both have some of the most misleading UA populations in the Nation. This is yet another reason why I don't pay UAs much attention.
Wrong. Charlotte is small when compared to it's pier cities. Charlotte's UA is not only sprawly, but it can also be kind of rural. You know country looking. Before you go there, the same can be said about Raleigh. Face it, nothing in NC can constitute a big city. So give it a rest. NC is just one big suburban state, with small urban clusters here and there. Charlotte is no exception. A big city is one where you can easily get lost in it's DT area. Pretty buildings from a distance, creating the mirage of a big city doesn't count. People think DC is some small place all of the time, because it lacks a skyline. That's until they step foot in the city and realize it's very large. DC has the second largest central business district behind NYC. Charlotte is a town when compared to major pre WWII cities.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM

294 posts, read 781,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Wrong. Charlotte is small when compared to it's pier cities. Charlotte's UA is not only sprawly, but it can also be kind of rural. You know country looking. Before you go there, the same can be said about Raleigh. Face it, nothing in NC can constitute a big city. So give it a rest. NC is just one big suburban state, with small urban clusters here and there. Charlotte is no exception. A big city is one where you can easily get lost in it's DT area. Pretty buildings from a distance, creating the mirage of a big city doesn't count. People think DC is some small place all of the time, because it lacks a skyline. That's until they step foot in the city and realize it's very large. DC has the second largest central business district behind NYC. Charlotte is a town when compared to major pre WWII cities.
I cannot think of 10 cities in the entire USA where I could "get lost" in. Maybe 3-5.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
The Downtown of most major cities simply is not large enough to really get lost in. Downtown is usually a smaller area (less than 10 square miles).

Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Downtown of most major cities simply is not large enough to really get lost in. Downtown is usually a smaller area (less than 10 square miles).
Charlotte is only 1.5 square miles.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

As I've said before, there is no one metric that tells the whole story, and that includes your preferred method of determining populations based on distances from core counties. That metric, along with MSAs, CSAs, and UAs, gives us a piece of the puzzle. Put them all together, and you get a better overall picture of the reality.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think that's plenty large to get lost in, or perhaps a better word is "misdirected." Throw in a bunch of one-way streets, and it gets even easier to lose your way. It's certainly happened to me before in Atlanta, and I consider myself fairly familiar with the city.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think that's plenty large to get lost in, or perhaps a better word is "misdirected." Throw in a bunch of one-way streets, and it gets even easier to lose your way. It's certainly happened to me before in Atlanta, and I consider myself fairly familiar with the city.
Exactly. It takes all of 10-20 minutes to know your way around "Uptown."

Let me drop you off on K street in DC, or 15th in Bmore. You'll quickly find out what a "Big City" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City