Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

784 posts, read 2,266,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Read that dude's post history. I think he smokes crack or something.

^^^^My point exactly on the types of people you'll find in Pittsburgh. Apparently opinions aren't valued to highly. Do you really think your coming on here insulting me is going to make your city look more enticing than Seattle? I lived within your kind for a long time. Im just glad I got out of their when I did. I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Having nicer bridges and a little bit nicer architecturally designed neighborhoods doesn't equate to everything for a city. I also said that Seattle had much more within their neighborhoods.

As far as colleges, that really has very little to do with what a big city will have to offer.

Everything that matters the most, almost goes to Seattle.

Now I know you love your city, as I've seen that you have defended it on here against any who would dare speak out against it.

However, I am not just a visiter. I have lived their to, and It just was not that exciting for me. I was severely let down. I thought Buffalo (a smaller city) was a much more exciting city and with more things to do. I thought I was being very fair in my assessment of it. Truth be told, I probably rated Pitt a bit higher than I should have. The things that I rated Pitt higher overall arent really that significant.
How many people have you heard say that they moved to Pitt for the style of their bridges or for their cememtaries? Exactly my point.

Pitt really doesn't compare to Seattle. Thats just my honest opinion. I wish I could say otherwise, but I am being true to myself. I would rather live in Seattle anyday than Pitt.

And as far as my assessment of the types of people you will find in Pittsburgh, I will never change that. They are snobby and stuck up and you couldn't pay me enough to live in that city again.
I think Crestviewdrive is right, you might be on crack. What was my first post? Weighing the pros and cons of Pittsburgh wasn't it? I simply asked a question concerning your post: why do you weigh Seattle and Pittsburgh in 12 categories, give Pittsburgh the edge in 8 of those, then suggest that Pittsburgh can't compete? Just a question.

If you actually read my posts, you would've seen that I gave Seattle the edge in nightlife, skyline, food, and outdoors, so I don't know where you're getting this: "you have defended it on here against any who would dare speak out against it."

BTW, architecture and city structure, education and museums are more important to me than nightlife and food...just goes to show that some of us value different things in cities.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Quote:
^^^^My point exactly on the types of people you'll find in Pittsburgh. Apparently opinions aren't valued to highly. Do you really think your coming on here insulting me is going to make your city look more enticing than Seattle? I lived within your kind for a long time. Im just glad I got out of their when I did. I'll leave it at that.
"your kind"??? What exactly does that mean?? I don't think that he is doing anything but defend his city. You have to admit that you did get pretty personal regarding Pittsburgh

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM

784 posts, read 2,266,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
"your kind"??? What exactly does that mean?? I don't think that he is doing anything but defend his city. You have to admit that you did get pretty personal regarding Pittsburgh

Ok, but why isn't my opinion valid? I'll tell you why because I happen to like Seattle better. If I had said that I liked Pitt better no one would be attacking my opinion.

As far as Ainulinale (by the way, like the name),

Different people put different levels of importance on different things. It wasn't as much the nightlife and food, although I do think having different varieties in food do enhance a city. what gives one city the edge over another is more what is important to the individual.

I prefered Seattle more for these reasons. I'll do my best to simplify

Prefer it because:

More in their neighborhoods
More overall things to do altogether
Better downtown, pittsbughs looks nice but theres nothing down there. There arent even any mens clothing stores. Shopping is horrible in downtown Pitt. Downtown closes at five oclock.Not much of anything really.
Frindlier people--big plus
So many more jobs and different types of jobs (lots of high tech, white collar)--very big plus
Better outside area, Mts. Lakes, etc
Better parks
Nicer weather
much better variety in food

I think those things would give the edge over neighborhood architecture, cemetaries, Colleges (especially since I have already graduated college), museums, arts, etc. But once again, I cant even be sure of that since I have yet to see all of Seattles universities, museums, art galleries and neighborhoods. Until I do, I'll unfairly give the slight edge to Pittsburgh. However, since I am not into artsy types of things this would not be high on a "whats important to me" list/ Sports, I gave the edge to Pitt. Yet once again, I am a Giant, Yankee, Ranger, Michigan, Syracuse fan, so either place wouldn't really make a difference.
Those are just a few reasons. Why aren't they good enough for you.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 01-13-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Quote:
That was towards crestviewdrive not him.
Gotcha. I thought what crest said was rude and uncalled for too!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,194,300 times
Quote:

As far as Ainulinale (by the way, like the name)
Thanks.

Quote:
Those are just a few reasons. Why aren't they good enough for you.
I have to say, I really think this if funny; all I did was ask a question to clarify your post. I really don't care what city you like better...it means nothing to me. I've been to both cities, I think they're both nice.

This is all I asked: "Just curious: you give Landscape/Bridges, Neighborhoods, Sports, Museums/Festivals, Architecture and Colleges to Pittsburgh, but then insinuate that it can't compete...what's up with that?"

Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Uh, Pittsburgh really isn't the "east coast" by a "long shot", and have you ever really been to Pittsburgh?

I never been to Seattle, so I am not going to suggest a city. I can't stand when these threads go to ignorant city vs city threads where people talk about one city that they have no idea about. Because after all, you guys have "so much more" "by a long shot"........................ And you are a long haul off from San Francisco. Things are much more spaced out in the Northwest than they are here. I could be up in the Adirondacks, Shenandoah N.P. the Great Smokies, and other amazing places in just about the same millage to the places you described.

The northwest is one area that I really want to travel too. I hear people say Pittsburgh and Portland are very similair. But don't describe your city being better than mine, "By a long shot" when you sound like you have no idea about mine at all.
Its just an opinion, thats all. Come on out. The door is open.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,101 times

Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Its just an opinion, thats all. Come on out. The door is open.

You are a very good photographer. I always enjoy your photos on SSP. The two cities look very different. I in no way will put down Seattle because I never been there, and if I did go there, I bet I would love it.

I would enjoy Seattle because it is close to the Cascades. The Street scapes look very different between the two. For instance your first photo shows vibrant retail street that has new and modern stores.

In Pittsburgh we have the strip district. A 100+ some year old warehouse district that host shops and stores that have been there since my grandparents time, and has some of the best natural food known to man. National Geographic did a article on it.

Both cities are beautiful, and both seem very unique.

I don't like when these get turned into ignorant threads that boil down too, "My city is better by a long shot" type arguments. Especially when people dont even know the cities they are saying they are better than.
You are a very good photographer. I always enjoy your photos on SSP. The two cities look very different. I in no way will put down Seattle because I never been there, and if I did go there, I bet I would love it.

I would enjoy Seattle because it is close to the Cascades. The Street scapes look very different between the two. For instance your first photo shows vibrant retail street that has new and modern stores.

In Pittsburgh we have the strip district. A 100+ some year old warehouse district that host shops and stores that have been there since my grandparents time, and has some of the best natural food known to man. National Geographic did a article on it.

Both cities are beautiful, and both seem very unique.

I don't like when these get turned into ignorant threads that boil down too, "My city is better by a long shot" type arguments. Especially when people dont even know the cities they are saying they are better than.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,889 times
In response to Johnny C

Typical Pittsburgh steel mill:

MyPartyPost- Flash Video Clip / Game- The Simpsons- Gay Steel Mill

Pittsburgh's own macho toughguy, Andy Warhol:

Pittsburgh native (and current Seattle resident!) John Clayton:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City