Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,197,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I find those (2 or 3 repeated) shots of downtown Seattle packed with people to be misleading.
Next you're going to tell me that it isn't constantly sunny in Seattle.

I got a few more pictures of downtown Pittsburgh today...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8350/1002614kl1.jpg (broken link)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7792/1002616kf6.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,197,960 times
Sorry, I posted a lot more than 5 pictures...I forgot about that rule.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,716,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Sorry, I posted a lot more than 5 pictures...I forgot about that rule.

Ahh, the Gulf Oil building. Nothing in Seattle compares, except maybe the Smith Tower, and it doesn't tell you the barometric pressure.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,262,124 times
Quote:
The dirty little secret about Seattle's downtown is that it's dead at night and usually on weekends too, away from the market. Sure, you'll see the yuppies in Belltown and Westlake Center gets pretty crazy at x-mas, but I find those (2 or 3 repeated) shots of downtown Seattle packed with people to be misleading.
I lived there for 5 years and Pittsburgh was such a breath of fresh air. Seattle, which does have its good points, is far too sterile for my taste. Sure, it's in a stunning location, but the city itself is blandness personified. And it's hilarious how that Moderator cut: one word - substitute "other member" said that Pittsburgh (c'mon people, stop being lazy. It's NOT called Pitt or Pitts) people are arrogant and pretentious, qualities that Seattleites have to a T. I'd like to add passive-aggressive, too. The scenery lured me out west and the smugness drove me right back east. Twenty or thirty years ago, Seattle was a backwater, and if it had stayed that way, it would probably be far more charming.

Now, so nobody can accuse me of bashing, let me list the things I love about Seattle: Pike Place Market, West Seattle, Ballard, Asian food, and Vancouver proximity.

Incidentally, my mortgage (including insurance and taxes) on a hillside bungalow overlooking the Ohio River valley and downtown Pittsburgh is about $125 less than the Capitol Hill studio that was my last Seattle residence.
Seattle's downtown though not Montreal, NY or Chicago is certainly pretty nice and quite active imo. Its still growing in many ways with probably one of the largest downtown residential populations of any north american city its size. And compared to downtown Seattle 15 years ago, there really is no comparison. Misleading photos! I don't think so.
Summer

Spring

February

Spring

Last edited by Bo; 02-11-2009 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Seattle's downtown though not Montreal, NY or Chicago is certainly pretty nice and quite active imo. Its still growing in many ways with probably one of the largest downtown residential populations of any north american city its size. And compared to downtown Seattle 15 years ago, there really is no comparison. Misleading photos! I don't think so.
Summer

Spring

February

Spring

I don't recall saying anything about it being dead during certain times of the year. What times of day were those pictures taken? My guess would be between the hours of 9 and 5, probably on a weekday, right around the market or Westlake Center. Most of the action at night in Seattle is in outlying neighborhoods, as in most mid-sized cities.

Edit: And those pictures are absolutely misleading, because they're from 3 spots. Pike Place Market, Westlake Center, and Pioneer Square, which are three small parts of downtown Seattle, most of which is dead after 5pm, which was my whole point.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,687,053 times
The Burgh!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,262,124 times
Quote:
I don't recall saying anything about it being dead during certain times of the year. What times of day were those pictures taken? My guess would be between the hours of 9 and 5, probably on a weekday, right around the market or Westlake Center. Most of the action at night in Seattle is in outlying neighborhoods, as in most mid-sized cities.

Edit: And those pictures are absolutely misleading, because they're from 3 spots. Pike Place Market, Westlake Center, and Pioneer Square, which are three small parts of downtown Seattle, most of which is dead after 5pm, which was my whole point.
Actually most of the pics were taken on the weekend. Since downtown Seattle is made up of several different neighborhoods, some parts are, like most cities livlier at night than others. The financial district is dead at night, but Pioneer Square is not. The retail district is what it is, retail. Belltown is pretty live at night, Pike Place Market is not. Wherever you live, is your entire downtown lively at night? Are there thousands of people partying in hundreds of clubs and bars in your entire downtown? I don't think so.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually most of the pics were taken on the weekend. Since downtown Seattle is made up of several different neighborhoods, some parts are, like most cities livlier at night than others. The financial district is dead at night, but Pioneer Square is not. The retail district is what it is, retail. Belltown is pretty live at night, Pike Place Market is not. Wherever you live, is your entire downtown lively at night? Are there thousands of people partying in hundreds of clubs and bars in your entire downtown? I don't think so.
This thread is Pittsburgh vs. Seattle. Somebody said Pittsburgh's downtown was dead after 5pm. I said "so is Seattle's, for the most part." I stand by that.

Seattle has nothing like E. Carson St., not even Capitol Hill or Fremont.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,603,118 times
Quote:
This thread is Pittsburgh vs. Seattle. Somebody said Pittsburgh's downtown was dead after 5pm. I said "so is Seattle's, for the most part." I stand by that.

Seattle has nothing like E. Carson St., not even Capitol Hill or Fremont.
The Ave. in the U-district is exactly like E. Carson st. in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The Ave. in the U-district is exactly like E. Carson st. in Pittsburgh.
LOL!

I realize Seattle outdoes Pittsburgh in several areas, if that's your thing, but let's not be ridiculous. Unless there's been a huge revitalization of the Ave in the last 2 or 3 years, that's possibly the funniest thing I've read here. Unless you mean the junkies? Or the shuttered businesses? Wait, not much of either on Carson St.

If Broadway was full of bars for its entire length, then maybe it would come close. But, even most of Broadway closes down by 10pm or so. I don't even drink so I avoid E. Carson like the plague at night, but it's the longest unbroken stretch of bars in the country and is FULL of tens of thousands of people every single weekend. The AVE?! Come on.

Edit- Don't get me wrong. When I lived in Seattle, I loved the Ave. It's a great place to get cheap food from all over the world. It's way more like Oakland in Pittsburgh than Carson St., though.

Last edited by creepsinc; 02-09-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City