Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rather live in Seattle or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia 153 45.27%
Seattle 165 48.82%
I can't Decide 20 5.92%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

I'd choose Philly, for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to Boston and NYC, which is where most of my family and old friend from growing up live.
2. Most of my friends from back in Boston who didn't stay, move to NYC or the Bay Area, moved to Philly.
3. All of these friends as well as my parents insist I'd love Philly.
4. I've already lived in Seattle, and disliked it. Not only does this mean that I'm disinclined to give it another chance, but, Philly does have more in common with NYC and Boston, which I like, than Seattle does (or, LA and SF for that matter). Seattle is a unique place with a culture and feeling all its own... a feeling that I really don't like all that much.

The reservations I have about Philly:
1. My sister, whom I'm extremely close to and knows me well, was in Philly a number of times and said she didn't think I'd like it.
2. If people in Philly are anywhere near as homerish in real life as they are hear... I dunno, man.
3. I prefer West Coast living, the cultural diversity you find in SF and LA, and the general amenities we have here. I do miss Boston sometimes... but, Philly isn't Boston, and the things that I love about Boston have more to do with Boston itself and its people, specific places or things, than any "Northeastern vibe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I does get a little irritating if someone posts the same pics over and over again. It comes off as trying to prove a point.

We get it the first time. :-)

Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
And crime wise, Seattle is complete opposite from Killadelphia. I heard that Seattle only had eight murders so far this year, with 2/3rds of the year over. If that pace keeps up they will end up with only 12 murders. Sorry, but for me that makes a big difference.
That's one thing I don't think anyone will argue with you about. The crime in Philadelphia, while highly concentrated in just a handful of neighborhoods, is just plain tragic.

Seattle obviously doesn't have the degree of poverty concentration that Philadelphia has. The socioeconomic structure and industrial history in both cities is dramatically different. Seattle was lucky enough not to have to deal with the post-industrial woes of cities like Philadelphia, where a large chunk of people are only skilled/educated for manufacturing jobs in an era of advanced technology. This has created an unfortunate chasm in social class that is extremely difficult to close and breeds desperation among the working poor.

Philadelphia has not had it easy by any means and really deserves tons of credit today for going from one of the most manufacturing-heavy metro areas to one of the most diverse. In fact, Seattle serves as a great model for Philly in several aspects moving forward. I believe it will continue to make great strides in improving things like educational attainment, violent crime and general quality of life.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-12-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Philadelphia Noir | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48523101@N06/6068150895/in/photostream - broken link)

Philadelphia Skyline Panorama | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48523101@N06/6031461832/in/photostream - broken link)

Happy Indepedance Day from Liberty City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48523101@N06/5904225568/in/photostream - broken link)

Philadelphia Sunrise. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/48523101@N06/5643397200/in/photostream - broken link)

And some of my favorite areas in the Philly region

Bucks County, PA Covered Bridges | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bexatious/5952295380/ - broken link)

New Hope, PA | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lancastermike/3792509037/ - broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 09-13-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Deleted last pic - max of 6 pics allowed.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Give me a big fat break, dude. Seattle has more property crime than Philly, that tends to affect people far more than some anonymous murder in a neighborhood you'll never find yourself walking through unless you are a crack addict. I bet you can find a way to get mugged in Seattle, walking around some strange neighborhood at night, just as easily as in Philly.

Philly is a much larger city and it has a much larger African American population. This is the cause of the high murder rate, which has zero impact on 99.99% of the city's citizens.

The scenario you use to make your point is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post

And crime wise, Seattle is complete opposite from Killadelphia. I heard that Seattle only had eight murders so far this year, with 2/3rds of the year over. If that pace keeps up they will end up with only 12 murders. Sorry, but for me that makes a big difference. Especially in quality of life. People use the argument too much that if you aren't into drugs, affiliated with gangs or rip a drug dealer off your chance of being a victim of a crime is far less. That's age old in theory and their is some truth to it, but in general way overblown. If a city is that violent, would a normal non-drug user feel safe walking the streets at night in any random neighborhood?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Seattle

It's very close to Vancouver.
So you are saying Vancover> boston, New York, Baltimore and DC.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Give me a big fat break, dude. Seattle has more property crime than Philly, that tends to affect people far more than some anonymous murder in a neighborhood you'll never find yourself walking through unless you are a crack addict.
While I certainly agree that property crime is not a good thing, suggesting that murders impact people less is unconscionable.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
Are not traffic-related deaths tragic? Then point your moralizing finger at suburbia and heap your scorn upon them. Drunk drivers are the 'murderers' that affect the most families, destroy the most lives. Soccer moms tailgating on the freeway at 90 mph, that's unconscionable, yet it happens just about everywhere, every day. The murder of a (total) stranger in the ghetto is not some new phenomenon, and I definitely think that when my bike gets stolen it affects me more than when some gang-banger gets shot out on some ghetto street corner. Other than making the evening news unwatchable, drug-related murders involving guns really don't affect me at all. I'm in the 'good riddance' camp on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
While I certainly agree that property crime is not a good thing, suggesting that murders impact people less is unconscionable.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Other than making the evening news unwatchable, drug-related murders involving guns really don't affect me at all.

Yeah I know what you mean. I hate losing my bike. I mean it's a bike. Those cost a lot of money and all.

Innocent Teen Killed in Crossfire, Suspect Surrenders | NBC Philadelphia

Dailymotion - Girl, 10, Shot In Crossfire - a News & Politics video

Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM

61 posts, read 78,511 times
I dream of moving to Seattle if I had the money. I've had it with Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City