Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports city, NYC or LA?
NYC 207 77.82%
LA 59 22.18%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Yankees missed playoffs 1965-1975.
1981 to 1995.

Are you kidding me ? You're talking a few years with the Lakers?
Not that I really care about this debate, but making the playoffs in Baseball is considerably more difficult (based on odds) compared to any other sport. Only Football comes close, then the NHL and NBA are last (with the most amount of teams in per season). I don't know if "playoff appearances" is something you should use for cross-sport comparisons.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,649 times
Football is actually last considering there's less games. ...
There's a reason why bad teams can sneak in any year...

In NBA in the west....you better have a ton of talent.

That said, I mentioned playoffs because that still means a successful year.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 PM

Lakers and Yankees both have 10 seasons under .500 since 1960.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Huh? The Canadiens have gone to 34 Stanley Cups, winning 24. I don't care about their "appearances" after 1960 because I've already proved they've won more than the Lakers in that span.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens
Just went through their history.

SInce 1960

The Canadians went to the Stanley Cup 14 times. Won 12.

14 is NOT 27 .

SO SINCE 1960, THE LAKERS ARE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM IN SPORTS.

27 TIMES THEY REACHED THE FINALS.

YOU CANT DISPUTE ANYTHING.

If you want to include the Lakers start of the franchise in 1948, they've won five more championships. Went to one more.

33 times the Lakers franchise reached the finals since they've become a professional team in 67 years.
Almost a finals appearance every two years on average. How can you even try to deny how amazing that is?

What other team is even close to that?

Yankees have 39 appearances in WS in 113 years.

So only 6 more appearances but in 45 more years.

Last edited by Freddy K; 01-28-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times
Quote:

SInce 1960

14 is NOT 27 .

If you want to include the Lakers start of the franchise in 1948, they've won five more championships. Went to one more.

33 times the Lakers franchise reached the finals since they've become a professional team in 67 years.
Almost a finals appearance every two years on average. How can you even try to deny how amazing that is?

Wins are wins

Old 01-29-2016, 07:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Not that I really care about this debate, but making the playoffs in Baseball is considerably more difficult (based on odds) compared to any other sport. Only Football comes close, then the NHL and NBA are last (with the most amount of teams in per season). I don't know if "playoff appearances" is something you should use for cross-sport comparisons.

Carry on.
This guy gets it. It's FAR easier to make the playoffs in the NBA than in any other sport. Every year, there's at least one or two .500 or sub-.500 teams that make the playoffs. And it's always been like this. Even back in the olden days, the playoff format allowed for six teams out of the league's nine, eight teams out of the league's ten, and finally up to the current sixteen team format in 1984. Literally over half of the league makes the playoffs! In baseball, by contrast, every year an above average team WON'T make the playoffs (like the LA Angels at 85-77 last year, for example). And it used to be even harder to be a playoff team in baseball! The Yankees won 20 of their 27 titles under a one round format--essentially, there was no playoff!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
Quote:
Why don't you go to MLB reference
And NBA reference for yourself .
Lazy. Would expect nothing less from you.

Quote:
Ok. So Lakers are two.

Still better than Yankees since 1960.

And the time period matters .
Why would I compare Lakers history with an expansion team like the heat?

It's just dumb.

However, it's a more fair comparison if you compare the two when they both actually existed.
No, two different sports with two different cities with two different histories. You can't limit yourself to one time period because that's when the Lakers started off in Los Angeles. This is a logical fallacy, and I've proven this multiple times already. Deal with it. And you actually could compare the Heat to the Lakers, if you wanted to do some maf and break it down by percentage. Something tells me you don't know how to do that.

Quote:
It wasn't always 16.

And don't make excuses now. You're good or you're not.

The Lakers weren't a low seed often anyway so....
The Yankees have only fielded one truly awful team in modern history (1990). And they were still comparatively better than your Lakers' squad of the past three years.

Quote:
Yankees missed playoffs 1965-1975.
1981 to 1995.

Are you kidding me ? You're talking a few years with the Lakers?
See my playoffs post. In basketball, damn near everyone gets in. Baseball is much harder, and the Yankees posted above-average/great seasons multiple times during that drought. They were never bottom feeders like the Lakers are now.

Quote:
Football is actually last considering there's less games. ...
There's a reason why bad teams can sneak in any year...

In NBA in the west....you better have a ton of talent.

That said, I mentioned playoffs because that still means a successful year.
Bad teams "sneak" into the NBA literally every year. I can count on one hand the amount of times all time a team with a losing record makes it into the NFL playoffs (4). In contrast, it happens damn near every year in the NBA. There's been 12 since 2000 alone. Reaching the playoffs in basketball literally means nothing.

Quote:
Lakers and Yankees both have 10 seasons under .500 since 1960.
Quote:

SInce 1960

14 is NOT 27 .

The Lakers have made the Finals 25 times since 1960. Impressive, but they've only won 11 of those appearances. That's a 44% winning percentage aka a LOSING RECORD in the Finals. That's not all that impressive. I'll take the Canadiens win percentage of 86% anytime of the week. Or the Yankees win percentage of 68% (they went to 40 WS, not 39).

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
This guy gets it. It's FAR easier to make the playoffs in the NBA than in any other sport. Every year, there's at least one or two .500 or sub-.500 teams that make the playoffs. And it's always been like this. Even back in the olden days, the playoff format allowed for six teams out of the league's nine, eight teams out of the league's ten, and finally up to the current sixteen team format in 1984. Literally over half of the league makes the playoffs! In baseball, by contrast, every year an above average team WON'T make the playoffs (like the LA Angels at 85-77 last year, for example). And it used to be even harder to be a playoff team in baseball! The Yankees won 20 of their 27 titles under a one round format--essentially, there was no playoff!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM

There is no excuse for not making playoffs for 10 years and 14 years. You can spin anyway you want, but that's the reality.
There was no great dynasty stopping them. It's even worse.
And the Lakers were rarely a low playoff seed.
Showtime
And Shaq and kobe and kobe/gasol were dominant teams.

They didn't just sneak in. So that is irrelevant.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:13 AM

Most of Lakers losses came against 60s celtics. The Yankees weren't facing another great team like that.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM

In the NFL tons of 9-7 teams get in. They're barely above average.
And if you watched some of those teams, you'd know they got a couple lucky wins.

Point is, there's always 1-2 teams in NFL playoffs because they got some lucky breaks to make it.

They usually get clobbered.

This isn't the same for NBA. There's too many games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City