Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite National Park?
Zion National Park in Utah 2 6.25%
Bryce Cayon National Park in Utah 0 0%
Grand Cayon National Park in Arizona 3 9.38%
Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming 6 18.75%
Yosemite National Park in California 11 34.38%
Glacier National Park in Montana 3 9.38%
other 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times

Advertisements

Shenandoah National Park !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM

52 posts, read 183,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The most popular national park in terms of actual attendance in the country is the Great Smoky Mountains in Tenn/NC. Why didn't you list it?

I totally forgot about that park sorry

Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Carlsbad Caverns National Park in Carlsbad, New Mexico

Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Hmm, I voted for Yosemite, but really meant Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia, as they are all adjacent to each other and contain some of the most stunning mountainous scenery in the country (Yosemite Falls, Mount Whitney, the largest trees on earth).
I second that...one of the best vacations my family ever had was at the Ahwahnee.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Sequoia + Kings Canyon. They border each other so they may as well be one. Yosemite is nice but full of too many day-trippers on vacation in SF. You don't get as much of a secluded outdoors experience.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Carlsbad Caverns National Park in Carlsbad, New Mexico
Seconded.

I did an internship there so it's kinda personal. But it really is an amazing place and there was so much to find even when you're there for 3 months! Did you get to do any off the off-trail caves when you were there, bradly?

I love ALLL the national parks I've got the chance to go to though and love to see other people enjoy them so much too.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Did you get to do any off the off-trail caves when you were there, bradly?
Yes sir. Some of My family lives in Carlsbad so they showed us everything to the place..It is pretty amazing! Plus I live in Northern New Mexico so I pretty much love my state to death.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Zion National Park in Utah.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:54 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The most popular national park in terms of actual attendance in the country is the Great Smoky Mountains in Tenn/NC. Why didn't you list it?
I definitely enjoyed Great Smokies a lot. Having come from Southern California, it's an enormous and welcome change in scenery to be seeing very green, lush mountains. Big Bear has forests but they pale in comparison to the Great Smokies vegetation. And it certainly is neat to visit the highest point in Tennessee, and the third highest peak East of the Mississippi. The clouds definitely do appear like mystic smoke and just flow and ebb in a way you seldom see anywhere else.

However, I think that on an objective level, the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone has more of a wow factor. The reason why the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone isn't as visited as the Great Smokies is because they're more isolated, whereas the Great Smokies is within a days drive from many major cities. If Yellowstone was as conveniently located as the Great Smokies, I think it would have even more visitors than the Smokies.

Then again, I prefer the weather in the Smokies over Yellowstone. It does not dip into the 30s on a typucal July night even on Clingmans Dome whereas it definitely will on the Yellowstone plateau. And because I've lived mist of my life in California, the Smokies just appear more exotic and have more novelty to me than Yellowstone does, because California's mountains are actually pretty similar in climate and vegetation to Yellowstone and the Tetons, whereas the Smokies are completely different from the Western mountains. Heck, California even has a mini Yellowstone called Lassen Volcanic Park.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yosemite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City