Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has a more storied history. Charlotte has been around for a while, but it wasn't anything major back when Charleston was running the show in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Culture is a toss up. San Antonio has the Hispanic culture no doubt. However the African American culture is much more evident in Charlotte.

History. San Antonio wins here. San Antonio has been around a few centuries.

Walkable. Eh, outside of Downtown San Antonio, good luck. I don't know about Charlotte to even give an opinion about it. But I assume Downtown (which I believe is Uptown, if I'm not mistaken, is pretty walkable).

Urbanity, both have made strides but Charlotte has a better immediate future since they are improve it's infrastructure including opening a new light rail system. I'm not talking about plans. I'm talking about putting those plans to action which Charlotte has done.

Diversity, see culture. The presence of the Hispanic culture is rich in San Antonio. The presence of African Americans culture is rich in Charlotte. Many festivals throughout the year in both areas with boutique shops, theatre shows, and more throughout both cities.
Diversity and History and Culture I definetly give it to SA. But infrastructure and light=rail and all that good stuff I give it to Charlotte. I lived in both Austin and I now live in Charlotte so I may have some credibility lol. But I say it's a toss up between both cities. Both contribute in there own way. But I give credit to SA for all the theme parks.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
weekends? SA's downtown is packed throughout the week. I never stated Charlotte's downtown was a ghost town, but than again it isn't the main draw for the city. SA's downtown includes the riverwalk,Alamo,shopping,riverwalk mall,etc.

Both of the cities have very bad sprawl, but SA has a downtown that attracts over millions of people a year. On top of that, outside of downtown you got Seaworld,Splashtown,Sixflags, San Antonio Zoo and about 40 minutes away you got Schlitterbahn.
Oh yeah I forgot about the new shopping in downton SA.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I put that out there in regards to myself since I am black. Charlotte has more of what I am looking for compared to San Antonio simply because African Americans have a large community and presence in Charlotte compared to San Antonio. My bad If I didn't throw out an specifics.

As far as history, Charlotte goes back to the 1700s but San Antonio goes back to the 1500s. I think with that fact coupled with that their history has been talked about in regards to the Alamo with dotted missions around the area, I think San Antonio beats Charlotte right there. I will say that I am pretty ignorant of Charlotte's history though.
Right...but you stated "San Antonio has been around for a few centuries". I simply pointed out the fact that Charlotte has been as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
San Antonio has a more storied history. Charlotte has been around for a while, but it wasn't anything major back when Charleston was running the show in the South.
And San Antonio WAS something back then? Please. It was nothing more than a Spanish mission.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And San Antonio WAS something back then? Please. It was nothing more than a Spanish mission.
Good point. But historically what about the Alamo. Is that not history. San Antonio is one of the most storied historical cities in this nation.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
When did Charleston run the show in the south? It must have been before my time

Old 02-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
When did Charleston run the show in the south? It must have been before my time
It was. Pick up a U.S. history book sometime; you'll learn a great deal.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I only said that San Antonio has a more storied history, not that it was a huge metropolitan area early on. You can say that about lots of places (e.g., Jamestown, St. Augustine, etc.).

Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
It was. Pick up a U.S. history book sometime; you'll learn a great deal.
i lived in Charleston.... maybe you need to go pick up one. Oh thats right the SC school systems dont have proper educational tools

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 02-28-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City