Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Winter Olympics, by their nature, have to be held mainly away from any cities. They are usually small regional winter resort destinations.
I named more winter hosts than I thought I could...I didn't pretty good right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh please...Atlanta in the last group? You must be high.

I'll give you one excellent reason why Atlanta is much more recognized than that...the 1996 Summer Olympics. That is enough in itself, and I'm sorry you didn't know that Coca Cola is headquartered in Atlanta. But that doesn't mean most other people are in the dark about it - as well as UPS, Delta, CNN, Home Depot, and several others. But the main recognition for Atlanta, in addition to the Olympics, would come in the form of:

Martin Luther King Jr's birthplace and residence
State capital of Georgia
Hartsfield-Jackson International, the world's busiest airport.
Home of Jimmy Carter, 39th U.S. President
Georgia Tech and Emory University
Centers for Disease Control (in Atlanta)
The Civil War Battle of Atlanta, the burning of Atlanta, and Sherman's March to the Sea

Setting of Gone with the Wind...#4 on the list of Top 100 Films of All Time; winner of 10 Academy Awards; and Pulitzer Prize-winning novel that is one of the most popular ever written.

If you didn't know that Coca Cola was invented and is headquartered in Atlanta, I'm sure you knew most of what I listed above.
But most of these facts would be useless to people in far off countries. I don't know the birth locations of any foreign presidents really. Centers for Disease control?...maybe I'm just sheltered, but I think some of these facts aren't even that important to the majority of Americans. And then things such as MLK and Sherman's march to the sea aren't really things that would be that common of knowledge in far away lands.

Now Gone with the Wind and just maybe the airport are some things that might remind them of Atlanta.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM

156 posts, read 378,358 times
Quote:
You apparently don't read the information I'm posting - and it's especially directed to you...so it you'll take 2 minutes to actually read, you won't make these same statements after I've already put the information out there.

Read over MLK Jr.'s accomplishments, honors, and legacy and you'll be enlightened.

"A small statue or memorial" is about the type of offensive nonsense I'm starting to expect from you. Statues and memorials all over the world, parks/schools/buildings/bridges/streets/etc. named after MLK, some very renowned speeches from one of the most dynamic speakers in American history....your statement doesn't quite give proper credit now does it?
Well, don't get mad if people don't think of highly of the monuments or Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. It's people's OPINION to value such & such under their own values. Do not push your values toward other people who don't live in your city & even in your country - It simply won't work.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Let's try this again...

1. Hartsfield-Jackson IS NOT a simple regional hub airport. It is the world's busiest airport in passenger traffic AND take-offs/landings. It is the primary hub for Delta Airlines, AirTran Airways, GeorgiaSkies, Delta Connection, and Atlantic Southeast Airlines. The Delta hub is the largest airline hub in the world...and Delta's corporate headquarters is also located in Atlanta next to the airport.

ATL offers international service to North America, South America, Central America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. There are 151 domestic gates and 28 international gates serviced by all major domestic carriers, 11 foreign carriers, and 16 cargo airlines. There are 5 runways and a helipad, and there is a MARTA rail transit station located inside the airport as well as an automatic people mover connecting all of the terminals and concourses.

2. I have no idea where you got "Atlanta University", but it wasn't from my posts. I mentioned two very respected universities located iin Atlanta, and there are 3 others worth mentioning too...

The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) - widely recognized and consistently ranked among the top 5 engineering schools in the U.S.

Emory University - one of the top universities in the world, with noted/highly rated programs in medicine, music, public health, business, and law. U.S. News & World Report currently ranks Emory 18th among all national universities and the 62nd best university in the world. Emory has been ranked as high as 9th in past years.

Agnes Scott College - private, liberal arts college for women...ranked as one of the 50 best liberal arts colleges by both U.S. News and by Kiplinger's.

Morehouse College - all male, private HBCU (historically black college or university). Each year Morehouse is ranked #1 or #2 among HBCUs.

Spelman College - private women's HBCU that is currently #1 among HBCUs.

3. CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...is a U.S. Department of Health and Human services agency with it's headquarters in Atlanta. Its goal is to protect the public's health and safety by developing and applying infectious disease prevention and control and through educational programs. Specific focus is on the control malaria, tuberculosis, STDs, environmental health, terrorism peparedness, bioterrorism, West Nile Virus, E. coli, birth defects, HIV and AIDS, avian and pandemic flu, and other communicable diseases.

CDC has one of the very few Bio-Safety Level 4 labs in the U.S., and one of the two smallpox repositories in the world. The agency employs a staff of 15,000 plus in several locations: state/local health agencies; quarrantine/border health offices at U.S. ports of entry; in 45 countries and on every continent.

CDC works closely with such agencies as: European Center for Disease Prevention and Control; Public Health Agency of Canada; Britain's Health Protection Agency; Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection, etc.

4. I was assuming any knowledge of the American Civil War might come from one of the most widely-read novels ever written - which is set in Atlanta - Gone with the Wind. The 1939 film won 10 Oscars and ranks #4 on the American Film Institute's Top 100 American Films of All Time. The novel landed Atlanta author Margaret Mitchell a Pulitzer.

GWTW landed 3 spots on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Memorable Movie Quotes:
#1..."Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
#31.."After all, tomorrow IS another day!"
#59.."As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"

One of the most memorable scenes was the evacuation and burning of the the entire city of Atlanta. This is an internationally distributed novel and film with historically accurate events, so it makes sense that a lot of people might know about General Sherman's burning, looting, and laying waste to a 60 mile-wide path between Atlanta and Savannah, starting with Atlanta burning to the ground. This act effectively ended the Civil War.

5. You didn't mention the 1996 Olympics...don't tell me you and the rest of the world wouldn't recognize Atlanta leading up to and following the Olympics. And I'm sure you've heard of CNN too - it airs in nearly every country in the world. The anchors often say "This is CNN in Atlanta."
1. Compared to JFK & LAX, it's a regional hub. Compared to Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle, Frankfurt, Chek Lap Kok, Changi - it's a regional hub

2. Mea culpa. I should've said "Atlanta's Universities" & I still don't think the universities are famous enough to foreigners unless they really research on them. On top of the head they could name MIT, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Stanford.

3. Believe me, people don't care about CDC unless there are actually an international disease epidemic going on.

4. Foreigners don't care about American Civil War as much as you want to believe.

5. Yeah, I forgot about it. Credit to Atlanta on that as it should increase world's knowledge on the city.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
How unknown can MLK be if he has a statue in West Minster Abbey, and they did a play about him i Beijing? Think about it west minster abbey, how many people of color, AMERICAN people of color at that are being honored at west minster abbey? As a black person im amazed.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,993,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
But it is still known internationally and viewed world wide.

It is watched BUT it the punch isn't as strong, especially among younger people like me... I don't bother watching cuz its the same 10 countries taking all the medals! At least with the World Cup even the poorest country with a lot of talent and heart can beat up a team from a richer country!

Why would Hollywood dread the World Cup and NOT the Olympics? Because the World Cup DRAINS box office revenue for their films. Hell people don't even talk about showbiz gossip when the World Cup is going on - and to think I don't even live in a Football-mad country....

Do you ever hear of people stopping wars and acts of terror due to the Olympics? Certainly NOT! We have Russia invading Georgia, The Munich Massacre, and many more. With the World Cup, terrorist casualties DROP significantly (even in Iraq) and many countries embroiled in Civil Wars often declare ceasefire when the tournament takes place. And a Munich-like event WILL NEVER happen in the World Cup since even those douchebags love Football SO MUCH. Even if they wanted to try the backlash it would create would be TOO STRONG that its not even worth attempting in the first place...

The mere fact that it takes the World Cup website JUST 5 days to get as much page views as the Olympics would in 3 weeks should be testament to the power of this event!

Can't wait for South Africa 2010!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How unknown can MLK be if he has a statue in West Minster Abbey, and they did a play about him i Beijing? Think about it west minster abbey, how many people of color, AMERICAN people of color at that are being honored at west minster abbey? As a black person im amazed.
You'll be amazed on the diversity of people's interest throughout the world.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
I named more winter hosts than I thought I could...I didn't pretty good right?
Roger that!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,872 times
My cousins in Montenegro knew of: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington D.C. and Chicago. Maybe they know of more, but that's all they told me.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
1. Compared to JFK & LAX, it's a regional hub. Compared to Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle, Frankfurt, Chek Lap Kok, Changi - it's a regional hub

2. Mea culpa. I should've said "Atlanta's Universities" & I still don't think the universities are famous enough to foreigners unless they really research on them. On top of the head they could name MIT, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Stanford.

3. Believe me, people don't care about CDC unless there are actually an international disease epidemic going on.

4. Foreigners don't care about American Civil War as much as you want to believe.

5. Yeah, I forgot about it. Credit to Atlanta on that as it should increase world's knowledge on the city.
Where did you do your research on this subject? I would like a link so I can check it out... The real fact is - you don't know any of this to be true. Your credibity is very low right now since downplaying MLK Jr. as an internationally known icon of civil rights. You're just wrong about that, sorry...and it's obvious that you don't really know much about the U.S.

You keep saying "people don't care about __________" or "I don't care about ___________". It's not a matter of whether anyone cares about the things I mentioned...they are world famous, whether you really care about them or not. And who are these people you keep mentioning that could only name 5 American universities? They aren't very bright if that's all they can name...do you know how many international students there are in the U.S.? Even Georgia State University, which I would say is known outside of Georgia, has students from 150 different nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
You'll be amazed on the diversity of people's interest throughout the world.
You aren't impressing anyone...and your blatant condescension is noted.

The U.S. is the most diverse country in the world, so diversity doesn't amaze us. You'll be amazed that Americans aren't all alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City