Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times

Advertisements

I go all over the world and everyone has heard of Denver. They even know its close to the most well known ski resorts in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM

156 posts, read 378,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Where did you do your research on this subject? I would like a link so I can check it out... The real fact is - you don't know any of this to be true. Your credibity is very low right now since downplaying MLK Jr. as an internationally known icon of civil rights. You're just wrong about that, sorry...and it's obvious that you don't really know much about the U.S.

You keep saying "people don't care about __________" or "I don't care about ___________". It's not a matter of whether anyone cares about the things I mentioned...they are world famous, whether you really care about them or not. And who are these people you keep mentioning that could only name 5 American universities? They aren't very bright if that's all they can name...do you know how many international students there are in the U.S.? Even Georgia State University, which I would say is known outside of Georgia, has students from 150 different nations.
I was schooled in NYC, I know more diversity than people in 303XX zip code will ever know. But the fact is, people in Murmansk or Hanoi will ever care much about civil rights, they get their own mouths to feed or history to remember.

Quote:
You aren't impressing anyone...and your blatant condescension is noted.

The U.S. is the most diverse country in the world, so diversity doesn't amaze us. You'll be amazed that Americans aren't all alike.
Pot calling kettle black. Who's acting condescending here? I don't care if US is the most diverse country in the world, the world don't need to conform to what's important for the US. Actually you're the one who don't understand the diversity of people throughout the world. How many continents have you stepped your feet on BTW?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 AM

259 posts, read 543,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Heh sorry, Chicago actually stands behind LA. Perhaps even behind Las Vegas and/or Miami.

This is from a foreigner POV BTW. There's nothing in Chicago that actually stands out until people are actually looking for it. On the other hand DC has the seat of gov't, NYC has Wall Street & plenty of big or small screen depiction (ok the notorious part Bronx, Brooklyn, and Harlem), LA has Hollywood & California.
Aren't you the one saying M L King is only famous in Africa? right so I don't think I'll be taking your word thanx though!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:53 AM

259 posts, read 543,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Perhaps it's not the home of the blues anymore. I don't think that honor belongs to any one city. But, perhaps you should bone up on your blues knowledge before you debate me on the subject. The apex of the Mississippi Delta is Memphis. At the time, Memphis was the southern crossroads of the United States, and all the old delta blues guys plied their craft there. Other cities were important, but to varying degrees, or at varying times, or with varying styles. New Orleans was home to jazz. Houston was home to gospel. Chicago was home to the electric blues. All of these were either influenced by the earliest delta blues or directly descended from it, and all that early delta blues initially found its home in Memphis.

Yes, and St. Louis had that midwestern blues thing going on.
I would think I know just a little about this...MusicEd does help a bit.....People accredit Memphis with the founding of blues but it was the whole area that created blues...now because Memphis was the more populated city in that area blues and Memphis becomes some what synonymous...its the city so you'd come there to record, gig, etc...but Memphis alone didn't create blues...When people mention Mississippi Delta they aren't talking about a city....now Memphis will come up but it isn't just soley Memphis..its a region thing
The same could also be said about jazz but to a lesser extent. The type of music that was being played and nurtured in New Orleans/French Quarters was the same type of music that was going on else where in the country its just the fact of a plethora of hard hitters coming out of that city early on in the movement
Gospel as we know it today was created in Chicago by a fellow who went by the name of Thomas A Dorsey. He's known as the father of Gospel. Gospel, which is basically Christian music with blues/jazz feels to them..because they use many of the same progressions and rhythms...it was created at Pilgrimage Baptist Church...thats why Chicago is known as the home of Gospel not Houston...also Chicago is the home of House music

Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
I would say (in no order) New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. (and Baltimore), Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Seattle, and Pittsburgh.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 AM

156 posts, read 378,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Aren't you the one saying M L King is only famous in Africa? right so I don't think I'll be taking your word thanx though!
Wait, now you got mad because Chicago stands behind LA (actually far behind to Asians) on world's recognition? Fact hurts, man.

Last edited by Cuttlefish; 03-05-2009 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
St. Louis won the Olympics in 1904 . . .
Actually, Chicago won the Olympics in 1904. It was later moved to St. Louis to coincide with the World's Fair.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 AM

203 posts, read 689,409 times
1.ny/l.a
2.sf
3.dc

the rest

Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
1. New York
2. Washington DC
3. Los Angeles
4. Miami
5. Chicago
6. San Francisco
7. Boston
8. Philadelphia
9. New Orleans
10. Orlando
Houston, Atlanta, Dallas,

Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM

205 posts, read 720,727 times
I think the Irish know about Boston about as well as the Chinese know about Seattle and SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City