Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern State Has the Strongest Southern Accent?
Alabama 87 21.12%
Mississippi 119 28.88%
Louisiana 35 8.50%
Georgia 36 8.74%
Florida 6 1.46%
Tennessee 29 7.04%
Texas 21 5.10%
North Carolina 18 4.37%
South Carolina 22 5.34%
Arkansas 15 3.64%
Kentucky 14 3.40%
Virginia 10 2.43%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times

Advertisements

Strongest accent I ever heard was a dude from rural Georgia, I seriously could understand very little what he was saying. But my favorite is to hear women from East TN talk.

Reminds me of a line I heard from a bluegrass song:
"...when she said my name with that country twang my heart fell on the floor.....
all my life I been a waitin' for a Tennessee mountain girl"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 7,031 times
lol at Mississippi having a strong accent. I've never met anyone from Mississippi with an accent I would consider very strong. I'd be happy if anyone could show me one.

Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina all have accents that are generally stronger than Mississippi. Especially Georgia. The non-rhotic middle Georgia accent (i.e. Flannery Conner--A Good Man is Hard to Find) is much stronger than anything I've ever heard from Mississippi. You can also search Lester Maddox or Larry Walker for an accent.

As you move into South Georgia, you hear an accent that Mississippi just can't compete with. Search "sawmill in South GA" for how people in South Georgia talk. If anyone knows an accent in Mississippi similar, I'd love to hear it. So far, I never have.

Alabama can get some strong accents, but the strongest I've heard all neighbor Georgia and are in a very similar accent family.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsjd View Post
lol at Mississippi having a strong accent. I've never met anyone from Mississippi with an accent I would consider very strong. I'd be happy if anyone could show me one.

Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina all have accents that are generally stronger than Mississippi. Especially Georgia. The non-rhotic middle Georgia accent (i.e. Flannery Conner--A Good Man is Hard to Find) is much stronger than anything I've ever heard from Mississippi. You can also search Lester Maddox or Larry Walker for an accent.

As you move into South Georgia, you hear an accent that Mississippi just can't compete with. Search "sawmill in South GA" for how people in South Georgia talk. If anyone knows an accent in Mississippi similar, I'd love to hear it. So far, I never have.

Alabama can get some strong accents, but the strongest I've heard all neighbor Georgia and are in a very similar accent family.
Where in Mississippi did you go? I remember ordering food from a Wendy's in Pearl, MS years ago, and the accents were so strong, I could barely understand them

Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
The Baltimore area has a pretty unmistakable southern accent.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
To the ears of most Southerners, they wouldn't call it part of the Southern accent.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I was in Nashville last time I was in Tennessee. I also have been to Chattanooga.

Also at one of my prior jobs years ago I was in phones a lot calling insurance companies. Tennessee has a lot of call centers and I found myself speaking to them on the phone a lot. If the accent was very thick I would curiously ask where they were from. Tennessee was by far the most common response.

This is all just me though and my own personal experiences.
The call centers are often located in small towns. Those small towns don't attract a lot of transplants.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
I'm so done, Lord.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I choked laughing.

That's a good joke! Here's another... let's see... Japan has an unmistakable Russian accent! haha! This is fun! How about... Pizza tastes exactly like Ham! BAHAHA! Whew! I gotta use this material.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To the ears of most Southerners, they wouldn't call it part of the Southern accent.
Baltimore was a southern city before most southern states existed.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Baltimore was a southern city before most southern states existed.
Everything north of Quantico, VA is part of the Northeast now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City