Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Denver CO 77 60.63%
Houston TX 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Houston is very underrated and gets a bad rap...
Totally agree, Houston is underrated but I think you have a point with the Public Relations aspect. I never see tourism ads for Houston in Denver or when I travel for work, wonder why? I think Austin only has you beat with the music scene and San Antonio for throwing one massive week long party each year, Fiesta. It is the 8th largest festival in the world. Dallas does very well with their art and Fort Worth would be a nice place to retire or eat a steak. But there is nothing like the personality of a true Houstonian and it is hard to explain it until you experience them in person. Love the museums and cultural vibe, already mentioned the food above. Could be that advertising is low because you already have a ton of people there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM

197 posts, read 797,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
If you're going to be so unfair, you should provide a disclaimer!
Wow AK123 - are you following me? LOL
Making sure I don't post anything "negative" about Houston here?

I have a disclaimer - will my birth certificate from the original Herman Hospital suffice?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Dallas does very well with their art
If you watched this evening's ABC World News Tonight, Laura Bush was in The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston touring the Afghanistan exhibit (today?). It's much easier for her to visit now that she lives in Dallas.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
(IE Sugarland and The Woodlands)
How would one who has lived in both characterize Highlands Ranch? Is it more like First Colony, Sugar Land or Cinco Ranch, Suburban Katy?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
My question to you guys, C2H and Spade, is what the hell are you doing on this forum? There's a whole "City vs City" forum designed specifically for comparisons and "smack downs" like this. This is the Colorado forum (and then strange how you posted this here rather than the Denver forum), which about Colorado, not Houston, Texas. If I wanted to talk about Houston I'd go there. I've noticed some of your other Houston buddies go on the Phoenix forum and start PHX vs HOU threads there too. I just don't get it.
I just try to get a perspective from different forums on cities that I like. My intentions was not to cause any trouble by asking the question and I never do that on any forums.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just try to get a perspective from different forums on cities that I like. My intentions was not to cause any trouble by asking the question and I never do that on any forums.
Okay, I forgive you. I'm known for getting awfully feisty on this forum at times.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Totally agree, Houston is underrated but I think you have a point with the Public Relations aspect. I never see tourism ads for Houston in Denver or when I travel for work, wonder why? I think Austin only has you beat with the music scene and San Antonio for throwing one massive week long party each year, Fiesta. It is the 8th largest festival in the world. Dallas does very well with their art and Fort Worth would be a nice place to retire or eat a steak. But there is nothing like the personality of a true Houstonian and it is hard to explain it until you experience them in person. Love the museums and cultural vibe, already mentioned the food above. Could be that advertising is low because you already have a ton of people there?
The city doesn't spend much on tourism ads. I don't know exactly why, but perhaps they don't feel the need to. Houston doesn't count on revenue from tourism like places such as Las Vegas, New Orleans, even San Antonio. Also, I remember seeing a list of the US cities with the highest numbers of visitors, and Houston was actually really high (I think the highest in the state). These are primarily business travelers though, I'm sure. Houston has the 2nd largest theatre district in the US (after NYC's Broadway) and the 3rd largest museum district; the MFA is huge and the Natural Science museum is one of the most visited in the US. But these are amenities meant just as much for the residents as the tourists. NASA is probably the most unique thing and more meant for tourists (the visitor's center specifically). And I don't know why some people insist Houston is still just oil & gas; the Texas Medical Center is actually the city's largest employer and larger than many cities' entire downtowns.

Anyway, thanks DenverAztec, for your fairness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post

I have a disclaimer - will my birth certificate from the original Herman Hospital suffice?
Don't flatter yourself. I was in the Texas forum in a similar thread, and someone mentioned this one. Besides, with the exception of it being too inland (and thus too far from the beach for me), I like Denver.

And no, I don't care where you were born and really don't think that matters. Especially considering that was how many years ago... and Houston has changed a lot.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post

Your assessment was very unfair. I know you were born here and probably ready to experience life and explore new things, but you listed all things negative and none of the positives. The things you tried to claim as positives weren't even really positives and attributes about what this city has to offer.

I mean i'm from Colorado and wanted to explore new things and can think of a ton of things I didn't like about Colorado. But still, i'm not going to shut out the positives and that's clearly what you did with Houston.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Okay, I forgive you. I'm known for getting awfully feisty on this forum at times.
That's understandable. Especially on this board sometimes lol.

I actually have a great aunt and his family that lives in Denver. I always wanted to visit because for one, I like the weather in the winter. Yes, you heard correctly. I need winter to be...winter and I would like to experience that (that's one of the many reasons why I love Chicago).

Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM

87 posts, read 261,388 times
I've lived in both places: Denver when I was very young, then Houston for most of my life until the last five years (with a 3 year stint in southern California in between). Let me tell you, arriving in Houston in August was a real shocker. The heat and humidity were unbearable - nothing to do but sit inside with the A/C blowing full blast. I don't miss the humidity, the commute to downtown or the tropical storm/hurricane/flooding issues. The topography is dull (flat) and I'm not a beach person so going to the coast held no appeal. I could not honestly say, however, that as a city either Houston or Denver is better. It just depends on what you want/enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City