Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Ok but do you live in Canada?

I'm just saying the black population in Canada is much smaller then the United States. And relatively speaking the Asians in Canada have a much larger political and social influence for their small population size. Particularly on the west coast.

But you are right blacks in Canada are very well assimilated. That is because they are in such small numbers and alot of them intermarry. Plus we did not have the same history as the U.S. with slavery. You cannot compare the two nations when it comes to the issue.
of course you can. you can't just ignore the slavery and say that america is better at race relations. duh

Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Parts of America may indeed be racist, but I Am willing to wager that most people are not racist. And as far as the news stories go, have you not heard of all the child molesters, rapist, and sex offenders? Does that mean that most people are that way no!!

All the stories you just listed can be found in many European countries as well. Now if we want to talk about a racist nation, then Japan fits the bill well.
this is the very common reasoning that's a fallacy. japan is actually not more racist, they are just honest about what they can or can't actually incorporate. if you actually believe that most people in the united states aren't racist as in most wanting to marry outside their race or make close friends primarily with those outside their race, you are deluded. just as most japanese do not have the "racism" you are pegging on them. your evaluation is a shallow one and not indicative of what is really going on.

just because you have laws in place that prohibit discrimination and hate does not mean that has any affect on people's hearts. they obey the laws to avoid retaliation. that is why you see self-segregation for most in america and still the prevalence of passive aggressive racism as well as hate crimes.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Ok but do you live in Canada?

I'm just saying the black population in Canada is much smaller then the United States. And relatively speaking the Asians in Canada have a much larger political and social influence for their small population size. Particularly on the west coast.

But you are right blacks in Canada are very well assimilated. That is because they are in such small numbers and alot of them intermarry. Plus we did not have the same history as the U.S. with slavery. You cannot compare the two nations when it comes to the issue.
I'm not saying that, but put it into perspective. Of course in British Columbia, Asians are going to have a lot of influence due to the Asian population being mainly concentrated there. So, that is just common sense.

Also, while there have been some Blacks that have intermarried, just like Asians and other people of color in Canada, there are many communities in the Maritimes, Ontario and scattered throughout the country where Blacks have pretty much kept many of the traditions and ways of life that go back to day one in Canada. For instance, I bet that if you go to places like Dresden, Amherstburg, Preston, Hammonds Plains and many other small communities, you will see what I'm talking about. That's not even talking about the neighborhoods in the major cities.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not saying that, but put it into perspective. Of course in British Columbia, Asians are going to have a lot of influence due to the Asian population being mainly concentrated there. So, that is just common sense.

Also, while there have been some Blacks that have intermarried, just like Asians and other people of color in Canada, there are many communities in the Maritimes, Ontario and scattered throughout the country where Blacks have pretty much kept many of the traditions and ways of life that go back to day one in Canada. For instance, I bet that if you go to places like Dresden, Amherstburg, Preston, Hammonds Plains and many other small communities, you will see what I'm talking about. That's not even talking about the neighborhoods in the major cities.
lol, i realized who i was conversing with(not the brightest bulb) when they said you can't compare the race relations because america has enslaved blacks in thier history.

LMAO.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
MetroBTR I know what ur talking about in baton rouge, I use to live in ***** city lol. Yea its a lot of black on black crime, but the racism is really high, my first week in br I was called the N word. Then when u start talking about satsuma, walker and livingston its hella racist. Black are treated like animals there, I went mall of louisiana one day and realized white people don't speak to blacks, acknowledge them, not even look there way like if black don't exsist, I mean white people in texas even speak and engage in causual conv

Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
this is the very common reasoning that's a fallacy. japan is actually not more racist, they are just honest about what they can or can't actually incorporate. if you actually believe that most people in the united states aren't racist as in most wanting to marry outside their race or make close friends primarily with those outside their race, you are deluded. just as most japanese do not have the "racism" you are pegging on them. your evaluation is a shallow one and not indicative of what is really going on.

just because you have laws in place that prohibit discrimination and hate does not mean that has any affect on people's hearts. they obey the laws to avoid retaliation. that is why you see self-segregation for most in america and still the prevalence of passive aggressive racism as well as hate crimes.
This definitely describes the America (or region of it) where I live in. There may be law-enforced integration, but genuine integration couldn't be further from the desires of many peers I'm around (and I'm in a University that caters mainly kids from the "liberal" Northeast - which leads me to another thing. For all of you East Coast Liberals from Boston to DC and in between: Stop talking about this South as the "Big Bad main culprit of racism;" not that they're up there with Canada or the Western US when it comes to race relations, but damn). The ironic thing is that in some "less diverse/liberal areas" the people were a lot more willing to integrate with those from other races (or at least saw race as a neutral factor).

Old 03-27-2009, 11:58 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,681 times
Quote:

Wow where do you live? All you seem to do is hate on America. I am Canadian, but to say that most Americans are racist that is just downright ignorant.

Have you even been to Japan? Its a very openly racist country. Especially against blacks. More so then the United States.

Would a person like Obama ever have a chance in hell of getting elected in Japan?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 AM

343 posts, read 1,384,681 times
Quote:
response to xx.
^^ the fact is it's still very racist that it's hard to believe it sometimes for a country that has had so many immigrants. it's like you don't even know what the people want. those other countries may not want a multicultural society. america is just all over the place..

Funny you say this, I can point to numerous articles about hate crimes in Germany as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Leaana, you are an asian female correct? If you don't mind me asking what part of the states do you live in? I'm curious because I'm in NYC and although there is still much racism, asians (especially asian women) are far more integrated (in terms of living in the same neighborhoods, going to the same schools, intermarriage) than black and nonwhite latin people. White male/asian female couples are so common hardly any bats an eye.

I assume the west coast cities that have sizable east asian communities are socially much the same. Although I could see areas that don't have that many asians or nonwhites period can be very intolerant.

Oh by the way Canada has race issues also. Some Filipinos I knew told of receiving antiAsian stares while in Vancouver. There also have been incidents of "nipper tipping" in predominately white towns outside of Toronto. There have been cases of local whites assaulting asians and throwing in lakes and what not. A friend of mine was touring through Canad with Indian friends. There were some places they could not go because indians could get harassed or assaulted in those areas. Not to mention the horrible conditions native canadians live in. I believe Canada and US are more progressive towards race than many Euro nations though both of them still has long ways to go.

Quote:
response to xx.
^^ the fact is it's still very racist that it's hard to believe it sometimes for a country that has had so many immigrants. it's like you don't even know what the people want. those other countries may not want a multicultural society. america is just all over the place.

um, have you ever seen the news in america? are you aware of the constant hate crimes? racism? the extreme to moderate right vs the left etc? issue of banning headscarves? why is that shocking?

there was just recently an asian girl who is a top student at her high school who is being expelled for not taking an english test in her senior year because she admitted to the school administration that she speaks her parent's native language at home and not english. does that surprise you?

this just seems a little comical considering what goes on in the united states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City