Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
It looks like the poster's priorities revolve around a desire to consume seafood.
Yeah, a couple sentences in a whole post, and my priorities revolve around it.

You rode the short bus didn't you.

*but yes, I like seafood. If it was a "priority" and my "life revolved around it", I wouldn't have to post this question and we wouldn't have such a hard decision on our hands. It would be hands down Tacoma. Unfortunatly, OUR life isn't so black and white as such a special person as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
Alright, here is the bottom line. Your wife will be making less money in a place with a higher cost of living if you chose Tacoma. Both areas have are a tech city (which I inferred was your trade), but you'll have a lot more competition in Seattle area. As for hiking, Albuquerque has more than I think you even realized. Besides the numerous mountains, there are also trails through the river valley (the Bosque), mesas, etc. Seafood, if you want it here you better either like it frozen, or like trout and salmon (fresh water fish that can be found in state). As for water, there are lakes within a few hours.

For those who don't notice a big difference between New Mexican food and true Mexican food (cumin is much bigger in texmex than it is actual mexican) than you shouldn't really worry. You will be able to eat anywhere to your hearts content. For those of us who understand that New Mexican food is a cultural fusion between the local Native Americans, Spaniards, and Mexicans and can't be replicated elsewhere, we are restricted in where we can eat. So in this case, one might think it would better to be ignorant.

Also, there is more to New Mexico than just Santa Fe and Albuquerque. I love Ruidoso in the summer, Taos has several cultural amenities, if you Golf there are nice places to play around the state (year round). Keep in mind that Phoenix and Denver are also pretty close (quick, cheap, hour flight or easy 6 hour drive to stay a couple of nights).

However, if you think you will be bored in Albuquerque (and there is a lot more to do than you are giving it credit for) than you should chose Tacoma. But keep in mind with your salary, it'd be a lot more doable to see 4 or 5 Isotopes games a year for the price of 1 Mariners game. Seeing the Lobo basketball team will be much cheaper than seeing a major league basketball game. Lobo football is much cheaper than Seahawk football.

Food for thought.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
you should move to where you feel comfortable,if you feel more comfy and felt like you belong better in Tacoma then I would choose there, to me I would go with the gut feeling, but honestly I think you will get bored with the city, I dont get bored with ABQ, this place fits me just right but then again Id be happy in a small town but if you want fine dining,pro sports and to be surrounded by lots of people and traffic then I would choose Tacoma. Tacoma is pretty isolated too, Portland's about the only closest city.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
WOW Poncho, that is great. I have lived in the NW all my life and subscribed to the "wives tale". Thanks for clarifying.

Great post.
Unfortunately I happen to have some past experience with the issue.

Hug your family daily...

Rich

Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Based on your pissy attitude, I think you will enjoy Tacoma. Everytime I go to Seattle (frequently) there are lots of whiney, self-indulgent, spoiled little REI/Eddie Bauer types running around. You should fit right in.
PS, what about your job? Who wears the pants in the family? Do you have a career or does she work all day while you hike?

Wait, Since you were asking for Pros and Cons, I'll restate it:

Tacoma Pros: Abundance of like-minded ****-ants. More accepting of rude and self-indulgent behavior.

Albuquerque Cons: Unfriendly to men who base their relocation plans around the wife's job.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
There seems to be quite a few "slow" people out there in ABQ that don't seem to quit understand that out of the ENTIRE freaking united states, we narrowed our decisions to ABQ and Seattle. Obviously we like both (though some of the retards in this thread don't seem to bother seeing that), and I posted this thread in there for ABQ residents or lovers to CONVINCE me to move there.

There are some good posts, and I have given reps for them. There are some people that apparently fail at life posting in here too. Missing the obvious and think I am talking smack agains ABQ.

Yeah, because I hate it so much we have narrowed our job searches to ABQ and the Seattle area. Some of you all need to grow a brain. Or reading comrehension. I'm tired of constantly explaining that I don't hate ABQ and that I am only comparing Seattle area and it. Obviously, IMO it is tied with another city as the most desired (for us) city to live in.

Lets ignore that and be a jerk and assume things about me.

*edit: Also: No seafood? Oh no, Walmart or any of the countless grocery stores never carry frozen seafood. Of course not. NEVER! LOL
Considering your negative attitude towards peoples, please move to Tacoma!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Considering your negative attitude towards peoples, please move to Tacoma!
I reply with like mindedness. If somebody is civil and friendly with me, I'm civil and friendly back. I start off friendly though, I don't wait for kindness before I first offer it.

When people are curt and rude and take my words out of context to further their little goals, I go on the defensive. I'm no doormat letting people take out their frustrations on me, at least not without a fight back.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I reply with like mindedness. If somebody is civil and friendly with me, I'm civil and friendly back. I start off friendly though, I don't wait for kindness before I first offer it.

When people are curt and rude and take my words out of context to further their little goals, I go on the defensive. I'm no doormat letting people take out their frustrations on me, at least not without a fight back.
Nope, sorry, can't agree with you there.

My first post on this thread was just my opinion -- which is what you asked for. I didn't feel my post was curt or rude or uncivil or unfriendly -- just an opinion.

You responded by calling me "defensive" and implying I was a "fanatic".

Not a big deal -- but I would not call your response civil or friendly.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Alright, here is the bottom line. Your wife will be making less money in a place with a higher cost of living if you chose Tacoma. Both areas have are a tech city (which I inferred was your trade), but you'll have a lot more competition in Seattle area. As for hiking, Albuquerque has more than I think you even realized. Besides the numerous mountains, there are also trails through the river valley (the Bosque), mesas, etc. Seafood, if you want it here you better either like it frozen, or like trout and salmon (fresh water fish that can be found in state). As for water, there are lakes within a few hours.
One of my concerns is finding a job in ABQ. I know people say it is relative, but I'm basically entry level. I worked at my current job since I started school here (3 years, spend 2 at a community college), but because it was part-time and basically an extended intership (though I got paid), it doesn't count as 3 years experience on a resume. So I am entry level. All of the jobs I see listed are Senior level programmer/analyst, Database Administrator IV, etc.

I like salmon and trout, and I am from missouri, so the only fresh fish we get are those as well, usually farm raised. I'm no seafood snob, but having had it fresh I thought it was just a good pro to mention. I didn't realize people would think I was insulting their state by stating that.

Quote:
For those who don't notice a big difference between New Mexican food and true Mexican food (cumin is much bigger in texmex than it is actual mexican) than you shouldn't really worry. You will be able to eat anywhere to your hearts content. For those of us who understand that New Mexican food is a cultural fusion between the local Native Americans, Spaniards, and Mexicans and can't be replicated elsewhere, we are restricted in where we can eat. So in this case, one might think it would better to be ignorant.
I've only eaten it once, and didn't eat everything off the menu, so I'm certainly ignorant of it. The mexican restauraunts here in Missouri are all the same fare, though I don't dislike it, we eat out Mexican several times a month - it is just lacking in Variety, IMO. (disclaimer, I'm commenting on both mexican and new mexican, regular american mexican food is what I say lacks variety)

Quote:
Also, there is more to New Mexico than just Santa Fe and Albuquerque. I love Ruidoso in the summer, Taos has several cultural amenities, if you Golf there are nice places to play around the state (year round). Keep in mind that Phoenix and Denver are also pretty close (quick, cheap, hour flight or easy 6 hour drive to stay a couple of nights).
All of that is something we have considered, and part of why we have thought to live here. I realize there is plenty to do, and it isn't like we do it every day or every weekend.

Quote:
However, if you think you will be bored in Albuquerque (and there is a lot more to do than you are giving it credit for) than you should chose Tacoma. But keep in mind with your salary, it'd be a lot more doable to see 4 or 5 Isotopes games a year for the price of 1 Mariners game. Seeing the Lobo basketball team will be much cheaper than seeing a major league basketball game. Lobo football is much cheaper than Seahawk football.

Food for thought.
I don't know why you guys keep assuming I am not giving NM credit for having a lot of things to do. Do you think there is MORE to do in NM than the PacNW? My opinion was ONLY that there was possibly more to do in the PacNW than NM, not that NM had nothing. I kind of assumed spelling it out was not necessary.

I'm not into sports, To be honest. Again, I'll watch em with friends, but I never turn them on and watch them if I'm at home alone, and never go to the game iteself, though I've gone tailgating here in Columbia, Mo.

All good points though. If ABQ didn't hold such a hold on me and my wife this decision would be easy. My wife has told me to decide on several occasions, but I can make a choice no easier than her.

Cost of living isn't a huge point either, to be honest. Housing is a bit cheaper in ABQ, but groceries seem to run about the same.

Let me ask this, what is the Farmers Market like in ABQ? What times of the year do they occur? Are they often open weekends?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
My first post on this thread was just my opinion -- which is what you asked for. I didn't feel my post was curt or rude or uncivil or unfriendly -- just an opinion.

You responded by calling me "defensive" and implying I was a "fanatic".

Not a big deal -- but I would not call your response civil or friendly.
Well it was rude because it assumed things (bad things) about me. You were basically implying that seafood was some huge dealbreaker, and that I thought your precious city was tiny and boring. You entirely ignored the point about how much we liked ABQ and instead focused on a passive aggressive response saying I couldn't "appreciate" what NM has to offer.

An insult and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City