Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The unofficial World capital is...
New York 157 63.82%
London 62 25.20%
Paris 5 2.03%
Rome 5 2.03%
Jerusalem 7 2.85%
Tokyo 10 4.07%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM

156 posts, read 378,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Because the Red Cross is an example of an organization that is outside the UN but still performs its job at a high level. UNICEF does virtually the same- it's in the UN in name only.
How do I get across your thick skull of yours.

UNICEF is a UN body, it was created by the UN in 1946. You can google it, wiki it, go to the UN website or inquire yourself at the UN HQ. Of course it was designed to run independently to best perform its function, which is a humanitarian body for children aid. But it's a part of UN.

Red Cross is an organization made before the UN in the 19th century. It's not associated with the UN, it's not affiliated with the UN, it's not made by the UN because that would be a time paradox. Simply, it's NOT the UN.

Where do you see any similarity? Only a delusional person who forces his own assumption see a similarity between UNICEF and Red Cross.

As a reminder, UNICEF is an abbreviation of United Nations Children's Fund

List of current United Nation's organizations is here. Press CTRL + F in your browser and type in "Unicef".

You're not getting any points here. Move on.

Quote:
And Guam is part of the US, but it really doesn't need to be.
And what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Quote:
So you just decided to pick the best international cities. Great. I chose to select- as a capital- the apex of political power in the world. You picked nice cities; I picked a city that actually has something a capital needs. I don't know what the OP has to do with it. He asked a question- his suggested responses don't have anything to do with it. If someone asked you what color the sky was and then gave you options like red, teal, amber, and lavender you would just choose among those? Or would you say "Uhh...blue"?

Excuse me for saying blue.
You seem to think the US politics is that important in multinational decisions. As a foreigner, I don't think it is and if a capital of a nation is chosen also as the unofficial capital of the world I pick London because Britons are more inclusive to world's society than the Americans will ever be. There's another thread in this forum about which city wields the most power in the US. The answer is obviously Wash DC. But here the question asks differently. I don't think an answer can fit all.

Last edited by Cuttlefish; 04-06-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
D.C. has more direct revelance to Americans than people from around the world. Personally, I can't relate to D.C. as being a world capital; it simply doesn't stand for all the things a world capital should.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post

You seem to think the US politics is that important in multinational decisions. As a foreigner, I don't think it is and if a capital of a nation is chosen also as the unofficial capital of the world I pick London because Britons are more inclusive to world's society than the Americans will ever be. There's another thread in this forum about which city wields the most power in the US. The answer is obviously Wash DC. But here the question asks differently. I don't think an answer can fit all.
Well, everyone is guilty of some kind of -centrism and Euorpean obvioulsy are not an exception here. London could be considered an unofficial capital of Europe but the world has grown in the past few hundred years.
If you look at funding for the UN or American political and military activity around the world it seems that the good old US of A is still wielding a tremendous power and ability to persuade

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Well, everyone is guilty of some kind of -centrism and Euorpean obvioulsy are not an exception here. London could be considered an unofficial capital of Europe but the world has grown in the past few hundred years.
If you look at funding for the UN or American political and military activity around the world it seems that the good old US of A is still wielding a tremendous power and ability to persuade
London is not the "unofficial" capital of Europe - Brussels is.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
You live on an uneducated third world island, you don't know what you're talking about.

FYI, London is not the financial capital. I absolutely love London, but you seem bloody unaware that London's financial crisis is even more catastrophic than that of New York City/United States. London's Financial sector has shrunk at a far more dramatic pace and has declined more than that of New York City. The GBP is tumbling rapidly. London's GDP is also below New York. Try reading sometime, The Economist or WSJ is a great place to start.

And another thing, where did the world financial crisis start? Wall Street. You jealous people need to get over the fact that New York City is the largest, wealthiest and most powerful city in the most powerful country in the world which in essence makes New York City the world's most powerful (and relevant) city. That's about as dumbed down of an explanation I can give you unenlightened people in denial.

That's all.
But the UK government will not choke capitalism as Washington is planning to be doing. Really it could go both ways. And the first city who has more investments in current recession resilient countries like China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and South Africa will get a head start in the next round. Historically speaking, London has an edge over NY in terms of multinational investments.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
But the UK government will not choke capitalism as Washington is planning to be doing. Really it could go both ways. And the first city who has more investments in current recession resilient countries like China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and South Africa will get a head start in the next round. Historically speaking, London has an edge over NY in terms of multinational investments.
Well, historially speaking London was the "center of the civilized world" long before New York was nothing more than but a little trading post . Nevertheless, the US is the largest economy and power comes with money. Can it change? Of course. Let's see what happens.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
London is not the "unofficial" capital of Europe - Brussels is.
And London isn't even on the mainland of Europe . London is more a world capital than European capital imo. The European capital would probably be Brussels yes, but in significance, Paris, Berlin, Rome and even Frankfurt could make a claim.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM

US is the largest economy of course, but that will change in some years. Real energy crisis in the next 30 years will certainly change the outlook.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
I would like to hear what London, Paris or even more so Brussels has that would make it recognized as the world capital? Especially outside Europe. Why would someone living in South America or China recognize London or Brussels as the capital? Again museums, theaters, Wall Street, Hollywood, the French Opera or the Queen of England are not important here, this is just for a capital city not the Alpha +++ city. Capital cities are where the government is, and that is for better or worse, the United Nations.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I would like to hear what London, Paris or even more so Brussels has that would make it recognized as the world capital? Especially outside Europe. Why would someone living in South America or China recognize London or Brussels as the capital? Again museums, theaters, Wall Street, Hollywood, the French Opera or the Queen of England are not important here, this is just for a capital city not the Alpha +++ city. Capital cities are where the government is, and that is for better or worse, the United Nations.
boy, you really take this seriously! ok, NY can be world capital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City