Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best Major Desert City in the USA?
Albuquerque 80 24.10%
Phoenix 111 33.43%
Las Vegas 92 27.71%
Tuscon 24 7.23%
Coachella Valley area 10 3.01%
Other 15 4.52%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times

Advertisements

The real question ought to be, "who in their right mind would want to live in a desert?!?"

None of these cities should exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
The real question ought to be, "who in their right mind would want to live in a desert?!?"

me. who would want to live where it snows 6 months out of the year? not me. That's who.

I pick Albuquerque.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Once you get used to it, its actually kind of neat. The Land of Enchantment is exactly that. But, due to the economic prowess of Phoenix, I think it wins this poll. After you spend your money in Vegas, you come to Phoenix to make some more. Getting bored in the mid sized ABQ? Come to experience big city living in Phoenix.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Once you get used to it, its actually kind of neat. The Land of Enchantment is exactly that. But, due to the economic prowess of Phoenix, I think it wins this poll. After you spend your money in Vegas, you come to Phoenix to make some more. Getting bored in the mid sized ABQ? Come to experience big city living in Phoenix.
very true.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

I moved from the Midwest where there were too many people in their right mind. Reason enough to move to the desert to be around more people who are not in their right minds.

Even though I love the city I'm in, St. George UT would be my second choice, which is definitely a desert city.

Tucson, if you really want to get technical, doesn't belong on this list. If you look up the word desert in the dictionary, it says: any area with less than 10 inches of annual precipitation. Tucson gets an average of 11 inches of precip. a year, which, technically speaking, knocks them off the list.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I moved from the Midwest where there were too many people in their right mind. Reason enough to move to the desert to be around more people who are not in their right minds.

Even though I love the city I'm in, St. George UT would be my second choice, which is definitely a desert city.

Tucson, if you really want to get technical, doesn't belong on this list. If you look up the word desert in the dictionary, it says: any area with less than 10 inches of annual precipitation. Tucson gets an average of 11 inches of precip. a year, which, technically speaking, knocks them off the list.
Tucson is the greenest lushest one of all of them. it's also the awesomest place on earth

Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
It all truly depends on a person's definition of "best."

For example, I'd much prefer the laid back quiet surroundings of Shoshone California or Beatty Nevada vs Las Vegas, or a place like Albuquerque NM.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Tucson is the greenest lushest one of all of them. it's also the awesomest place on earth
And you pay a higher price for that lushness: higher humidity.

But, 60 miles south, you rise 1000 feet in altitude to Nogales, for minor relief from Tucson, a greater relief from Phoenix.

Tucson is on my radar screen for a retirement place, and, oddly enough,
proximity to Nogales (and points south like Guaymas) is one of Tucson's great attractions for me.

Cantina hopping, real Tecate, listening to pop Latin music, on the jukebox, on a Saturday night, a red light district: I'm ready!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And you pay a higher price for that lushness: higher humidity.

But, 60 miles south, you rise 1000 feet in altitude to Nogales, for minor relief from Tucson, a greater relief from Phoenix.

Tucson is on my radar screen for a retirement place, and, oddly enough,
proximity to Nogales (and points south like Guaymas) is one of Tucson's great attractions for me.

Cantina hopping, real Tecate, listening to pop Latin music, on the jukebox, on a Saturday night, a red light district: I'm ready!
It is hardly that humid in Tucson.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I too prefer ABQ to the others. Why? Its quieter. I love New Mexico, too. Yes it lacks many things the other big cities have, but if Im gonna move from someplace like Chicagoland to the desert Southwest, it would be to get away from the major city life. Vegas is tacky, Phoenix is too hot and boring, Tucson is a dump for the most part and the other desert cities are just either too small and weird or dangerous. ABQ has the best climate of them all, the best scenery, and is much more down-to-earth, which is something Ill look for when I retire.
...I couldn't have described it better myself

I choose Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City