Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite state?
Alabama 3 1.14%
Alaska 5 1.90%
Arizona 4 1.52%
Arkansas 0 0%
California 50 19.01%
Colorado 9 3.42%
Connecticut 1 0.38%
Delaware 0 0%
Florida 9 3.42%
Georgia 8 3.04%
Hawaii 6 2.28%
Idaho 1 0.38%
Illinois 5 1.90%
Indiana 0 0%
Iowa 2 0.76%
Kansas 1 0.38%
Kentucky 4 1.52%
Louisiana 3 1.14%
Maine 2 0.76%
Maryland 1 0.38%
Massachusetts 4 1.52%
Michigan 6 2.28%
Minnesota 3 1.14%
Mississippi 1 0.38%
Missouri 0 0%
Montana 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.38%
Nevada 1 0.38%
New Hampshire 1 0.38%
New Jersey 21 7.98%
New Mexico 6 2.28%
New York 11 4.18%
North Carolina 11 4.18%
North Dakota 0 0%
Ohio 3 1.14%
Oklahoma 3 1.14%
Oregon 5 1.90%
Pennsylvania 8 3.04%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 6 2.28%
South Dakota 1 0.38%
Tennessee 4 1.52%
Texas 23 8.75%
Utah 2 0.76%
Vermont 5 1.90%
Virginia 5 1.90%
Washington 8 3.04%
West Virginia 0 0%
Wisconsin 9 3.42%
Wyoming 1 0.38%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
California b/c of the incredible diversity. You have a European feeling city (SF), rugged alpine areas (Sierra/Nevada, Yosemite), Rainforests in the upper NW coastal area, Tuscan style wine country, giant cities and small charming towns, surf culture, Santa Barbara- heck there are even areas that look and feel like West Texas (Bakersfield)- and of course my beloved San Diego.
Some states arguably have more consistency per mile, but it is hard to compete with the vast diversity of California. Also, I hate humidity.
I would be proud to call myself a Californian. But I am also glad to be from New York State and all it suprisingly offers, hence part of my screen name. I wish more of my fellow New Yorkers were proud of the ENTIRE Empire State and not just the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I actually agree with you. When you think about it there is nothing wrong with people picking their home state (which they know best) in a thread called "pick your favorite state". Now if this was "pick the greatest state", it would be California hands down!

If I could have picked 2, I would definitely choose NY and CA. I've never been to CA, but I think it's beautiful (based on pictures) and there are so many different places to go. I chose NY because it's where I'm from.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM

188 posts, read 520,969 times
Why? Everyone's going to either going to rep their own state or a state they desire to be in. It might've been better to narrow it down by region (i.e., New England, Midwest, Atlantic South, Midsouth, the Rockie Mountains, Southwest, Pacific South, & Pacific Northwest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've never been to CA, but I think it's beautiful (based on pictures) and there are so many different places to go.
You've never been anywhere, have you?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Why? Everyone's going to either going to rep their own state or a state they desire to be in. It might've been better to narrow it down by region (i.e., New England, Midwest, Atlantic South, Midsouth, the Rockie Mountains, Southwest, Pacific South, & Pacific Northwest)

No, she once changed planes in Houston which makes her an expert on everything Texas, remember?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post

I've been to about 20 states and 3 countries (It will be 5 as of this summer).

Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
California b/c of the incredible diversity. You have a European feeling city (SF), rugged alpine areas (Sierra/Nevada, Yosemite), Rainforests in the upper NW coastal area, Tuscan style wine country, giant cities and small charming towns, surf culture, Santa Barbara- heck there are even areas that look and feel like West Texas (Bakersfield)- and of course my beloved San Diego.
Some states arguably have more consistency per mile, but it is hard to compete with the vast diversity of California. Also, I hate humidity.
Thanks for writing the post I Was about to write. It also has extreme temperatures hot if you like it or cold if you like it and perfection in mediterannean climate in the middle of those.

If you have never traveled through California, I suggest you do though, it does not look like the rest of the U.S. in topography, flora, or fauna. The Rockies cut it off from the rest of the u.s. and create an entirely different landscape and feel. Even the air out there just SMELLS better. and stuff just grows better as well. I figure its because we have left it pretty untouched and hope the urban planners out there keep the cities as compact as possible not to ruin the West. If you are an outdoors person you are missing out if you haven't been to the West Coast From California up to Vancouver.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Thanks for writing the post I Was about to write. It also has extreme temperatures hot if you like it or cold if you like it and perfection in mediterannean climate in the middle of those.

If you have never traveled through California, I suggest you do though, it does not look like the rest of the U.S. in topography, flora, or fauna. The Rockies cut it off from the rest of the u.s. and create an entirely different landscape and feel. Even the air out there just SMELLS better.
So True.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Alabama, because it is my homestate. I love it to death! It is about to experience some of the best boom and growth it has ever experienced!

You should consider moving here!
which those booms and advancements or what have you will be 100 years behind the rest of the country...What I can imagine is a bunch more walmarts, winn dixies, cookie cutter oversized modular homes and a few car factories.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
So True.
Exactly, this isn't even a culture thing at all... I can see why we stole it from Mexico, Russia and the Indians and why it is now the most populated state. The West Coast was a very good land acquisition. I've never lived out there but I'm glad I have it to travel to. You won't understand why people like it until you actually travel around the West Coast and see what the difference is.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
We are not trying to start an argument. We were just trying to start up a convo

Me & GDK94 are simply wondering why you consider it the new south

After the post by JMT, I still dont think its the new south..... i consider it the deep south

I remember defending my reason for savannah not being a appealing travel destination for myself in past threads.... so dont play the victim card
Unlike you, I will respect your opinion...I don't think it is too much to ask that you respect the opinions of the people that took the time to respond to your thread. Or, considering past experience, perhaps it is.
That'll be the day that I play "victim" to you.

Last edited by Iconographer; 03-19-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City