Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which Sunbelt city (or metro) is the most intimidating and fast-paced?
Los Angeles 94 54.02%
Houston 13 7.47%
Dallas 10 5.75%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 26 14.94%
Atlanta 21 12.07%
Las Vegas 7 4.02%
Other (if your choice is not posted) 3 1.72%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

The truth of the matter there are more cities in the South that are booming today. The San Antonio/Austin region, Phoenix, Nashville, Tampa/St Pete/Orlando area, Miami, OKC. Memphis, New Orleans and Raleigh should be considered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The northern cities were more expensive because they had bigger cities than the south

The south is just starting to get really big cities

Developed cities = entertainment = higher cost of living

however, since people are moving to the south the cost of living in those cities are not cheap anymore unless you live in a rural small town.

the new south, which is dallas, houston, and atlanta are not cheap.

you can live in philly for the same price as you can in dallas.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

And miami is more expensive to live in than boston or chicago.

Even the smaller cities in the south like tampa and charlotte are not cheap. I have a friend that lives in Charlotte and he is paying over 1,000 for a studio

Bottom Line: It does not matter what region that you live in. If you live in a big city with entertainment then your going to pay the price for that entertainment
Actually, it's a lot more expensive to live in Boston than Miami, and the cost of living in Chicago is very slightly less than Miami. Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:12 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Actually, it's a lot more expensive to live in Boston than Miami, and the cost of living in Chicago is very slightly less than Miami. Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com
that link is not pulling up on my cpu for some reason..... i guess it depends on what source you look at

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
a lot of notherners move to the south when its time to retire

a lof of southerners move to the north to experience big cities and a change in atmosphere especially after college (nyc, philly, chicago, boston)

people try to move to the cities that they like.

i have lived on the west cost, new south, deep south and north.

i only have 10 cities that i would ever want to live in. 4 are in the north, 3 are on the west coast and 3 are in the new south, 0 are in the deep south
Yes, that explains why those cities are growing so fast.....

Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes, that explains why those cities are growing so fast.....
IMO, a lot of older people are moving to the south to retire.

Younger people are moving to the north

Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
That's definitely true:
Houston: teacher Salaries in Houston, TX - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
New York: teacher Salaries in New York - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

I wonder why this is. I wonder if it's because our teachers unions aren't as strong here, or if more teachers in New York have advanced degrees. With a little further research, I found the salaries are considerably closer at entry level. Which means that perhaps the pay increases might not be as substantial, or perhaps teachers in New York stick around longer and go through more raise cycles. I don't know. Whatever the reason, judging from my own experience in Texas public schools in the Houston area (granted several years ago) those buffoons were overpaid. And, maybe that's it. Perhaps we reward raises on merit and not just longevity or seniority, and we have very few people actually deserving of higher pay. Again, I don't know.
Are there teachers unions in Texas? I hope so.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
IMO, a lot of older people are moving to the south to retire.

Younger people are moving to the north
pretty much ALL of my closest college friends (around 40-50 people) class of 2002 all moved north i.e. out of florida and most out of the south entirely (after school or west to CA)
a few to atl, and charlotte but majority, entirely out of there. majority living in the dc-boston giant metro area. I only know 2-3 people who stayed, one who does fishing tours now and another to Miami...but she has since left.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
This is more accurate:

http://www.houstonisd.org/HumanResou...le%2008-09.pdf

Just zoom in-
http://www.uft.org/member/contracts/moa/teacher_sal_may192008_sal06.gif (broken link)

And also, don't forget, those who work in Title 1 schools here (like myself), get an extra $3400 a year.
Wow. That certainly answers that question. It looks as if there's no incentive to stick around for a while or attain any degree higher than a bachelors in Houston. I can easily see why a teacher would rather live in New York as opposed to Houston. Do you know what percentage of NYC teachers have advanced degrees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Are there teachers unions in Texas? I hope so.
Yes, but Texas (and the rest of the South) have traditionally been opposed to strong unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Did you factor in cost of living? They may get paid more, but housing, etc., is more.
I don't feel inclined to do the research on this, but I'd be willing to bet that cost of living outside Manhattan is comparable to cost of living in Houston. At least it's not likely to be as skewed as the teacher salaries.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
LA, no comparison. Still even at that, all of these cities listed are pretty fast-paced.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Wow. That certainly answers that question. It looks as if there's no incentive to stick around for a while or attain any degree higher than a bachelors in Houston. I can easily see why a teacher would rather live in New York as opposed to Houston. Do you know what percentage of NYC teachers have advanced degrees?

The cost of living is much higher here. But us teachers are pretty comfortable financially here. And to answer your question--we're required to have a Masters degree in NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City