Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin or Portland?
Austin 27 40.30%
Portland 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM

385 posts, read 626,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Austin is a great city of course, but when you hear people saying it's oh so liberal, the best city ever, or the only livable place in Texas. It's kind like "Dude....it's just a college town".
I would disagree. I would say that cities like Waco or College Station are just college towns. Austin is ranked # 16 in terms of population of United States cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I would disagree. I would say that cities like Waco or College Station are just college towns. Austin is ranked # 16 in terms of population of United States cities.
Even if you wanted to, you couldn't say Waco was a college town because of the fact that the city dosen't revolve around Baylor. College Station is definatly a college town, but Waco is not. The city was established before Baylor came along.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
If Waco is not, neither is Austin. Austin is definitely not a college town, but it has grown way too big. Infrastructure is a problem there. A ton of traffic.

*looks at locations of where I live*

Yeah, lots of traffic in Austin.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
"Austin was voted America's #1 College Town by the Travel Channel."

In the city the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 16.6% from 18 to 24,

Austin is home to The University of Texas at Austin, one of the largest and most prestigious universities in the country and the flagship institution of The University of Texas System. Other institutions of higher learning include Austin Community College, Concordia University, Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward's University, the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest, the Acton School of Business, Austin Graduate School of Theology, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, and a branch of Park University.

not a college town huh?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Portland.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
"Austin was voted America's #1 College Town by the Travel Channel."

In the city the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 16.6% from 18 to 24,

Austin is home to The University of Texas at Austin, one of the largest and most prestigious universities in the country and the flagship institution of The University of Texas System. Other institutions of higher learning include Austin Community College, Concordia University, Huston-Tillotson University, St. Edward's University, the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest, the Acton School of Business, Austin Graduate School of Theology, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, and a branch of Park University.

not a college town huh?
Exactly. You look up Austin your going to see tons of information about UT and 6th street, which both cater to the college scene. Waco is not a college town, and never has been. Baylor isn't what attracts people to the city.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't say which city is better than the other but I can say this. Places just as people that portray themselves as better than others, generally can't live up to the portrayal. They become known as braggarts, and people avoid them. I don't know about Austin, but here in Portland the constant bragging about itself is really nauseating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Same with Austin. It's no coincidence that both cities draw the same types of people.
Yes.
At least in Austin's case, I've seen lots of people move there only to be disappointed. They probably would have been happier in the young/trendy neighborhoods of Houston or Dallas.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
And I thought Austin was the place to be in Texas...
Austin has been great at marketing itself. Things aren't exactly what they seem, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Austin overrated...I'd rather live in Dallas or Houston if I were to live in Texas. At least that is my sense... too much college influence there and I was over college towns soon as I turned 21.
Not just that, but it has most of the problems people complain about in the other Texas cities (traffic, car-dependence, sprawl, lack of urban planning, over-development) while lacking in big-city amenities such as great restaurants and world-class arts/culture/museums.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Same with Austin. It's no coincidence that both cities draw the same types of people.
I agree. I do however think that Austin most likely attracts more that are interested in meaningful employment.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM

205 posts, read 720,339 times
Portland and Austin are almost twin towns except in Portland you won't be in Texas, so I vote Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City