Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sarasota, FL vs Fairfield, CT
Sarasota, FL 10 43.48%
Fairfield, CT 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times

Advertisements

So many responses. Thanks...

I do live in the NYC area, but about an hour from the city. No shortage of traffic here either - actually it's pretty bad compared to I-75 or 41 in Florida. I'm used to it - the only thing that will take a little getting used to is drawbridges and their effect on traffic - but then again, we have railroad crossings.

Anyway - I do winter sports (skiing/snowboarding mostly) but I appreciate and enjoy summer sports more; boating, jogging, swimming, kayaking, bicycling. I know the differences in weather and have considered that already. I enjoy snow however, but I figure I can ski-vacation up north.

One thing I think I would miss are bagel shops, delis and good pizza. I have heard that since so many NYers live in south Florida, it has gotten better in that department.

Also I have a 5.5 month old. That's where schools come in. Take the money we save in CT and go private in FL, or struggle to live in CT so our child can get an excellent public education? We don't want to be the only family in FL, but we don't want our area to be ONLY families. We like to be around folks of all ages (college-age ---> senior citizens). Just not too much of each.

Am I asking for too much?? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
^I haven't been in several years, but the Sarasota area is a very nice place. Sarasota County has probably the highest income in that area of the State, so their schools are considerably better than some of the surrounding areas. Due to all the $$$ in Sarasota, the cultural offerings are more in line with a much larger city.

Yes, you will find bagels, good pizza and deli there. And a thriving, nice downtown. The beaches off of Sarasota are quite beautiful.

I can think of far worse places to be.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:26 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
^ one hour away away from nyc

you respond to the op post without fully reading what the op stated.

you need to see if your high school has a reading comprehension class for you to take. it is annoying because you have done it more than once

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ml#post7984605
On that other topic, you said Scotland is colder than NYC and Philly. What I said was true, because there are places in Scotland that have warmer winters than NYC and Philly.

And on this topic, I knew he didn't actually live in NYC. But he must be familiar with the NYC traffic, so the Sarasota traffic would be a walk in the park.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:28 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
on that other topic, you said scotland is colder than nyc and philly. What i said was true, because there are places in scotland that have warmer winters than nyc and philly.

And on this topic, i knew he didn't actually live in nyc. But he must be familiar with the nyc traffic, so the sarasota traffic would be a walk in the park.

but you failed to read the op properly. The op said he had HARSH winters.

do you still not comprehend that?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Here is his post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig007 View Post
My first post on the forums here. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and this long, drawn out winter, in cold miserable Scotland has made me have a little re-think. A lot of information will be included here, in order for you to help best (if you can). The winter depresses me, I truly hate freezing, dull weather. Having been on vacation to Miami, NYC, Washington D.C and Las Vegas, I can really see myself settling down somewhere in the USA.

Although the places I'm about to discuss aren't technically cities, I can't see where else this can go on the forums. Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

First, a little information about myself and my wife. I'm a 27 year old male, from central Scotland. I'm a pilot for a European airline, and have been for the past 3 years. I have a wife, (26). Our combined income is about 75K GBP (105k USD). We have no children yet, although when we (hopefully) settle down in the US, we would like to start a family. An area with good schools is essential.

Some more demanding requirements:

Area with a good General Aviation scene, whilst being close to an international airport (for work). I would be willing to commute about 50 miles each way.

Boating nearby (either ocean or lake), maximum 80 miles away.

I wouldn't like a liberal area much.

A state without harsh winters.

Housing:

Using the 3 x rule, we would be looking to spend about 350-400k on a house initially, perhaps as seniority and salary increase, moving to 6-700k.

Through my own research, I have picked a nice bedroom community in Ventura County, SoCal. Camarillo. The write-up here: Best places to live 2008 - City details: Camarillo, CA - from MONEY Magazine looks pretty good.

That to me is ideal. LAX for shopping & work. Tahoe for boating. Ocean for boating. Channel Islands for boating. Camarillo also has its own GA airport, for flying for fun. There is an abundance of schools, and the climate is great.

Alternatively, rather than jumping straight in at a 350k house, I could rent for a few years until our combined income goes up in order to make the 600K average.

I am positively ruling out cities that are not in Ventura or Orange County CA, as I cannot stand liberals
__________________________________________________ _____________

I need some serious help with FL though. I'm not sure if I could survive the intense humidity for long periods of time. I went to Miami only for 3 days ( we were getting a cruise from the port), and I don't think that gave me a good enough long term indicator. North/Central FL would appeal to me more (closer to other states, perhaps cooler (?)) than South FL. A good bedroom community similar to Camarillo in FL would be great, if anyone knows any.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Help is MUCH appreciated regarding the above, and, as in the title, if anyone can recommend a state which meets my rather stringent requirements, please do share

Craig
He says he wants to move to a state in America that doesn't have harsh winters. Show me where he says the winter where he lives is harsh.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
On that other topic, you said Scotland is colder than NYC and Philly. What I said was true, because there are places in Scotland that have warmer winters than NYC and Philly.

And on this topic, I knew he didn't actually live in NYC. But he must be familiar with the NYC traffic, so the Sarasota traffic would be a walk in the park.
This is true.

Quote:
but you failed to read the op properly. The op said he had HARSH winters.

do you still not comprehend that?
And this is not. I didn't say harsh winters. CT has mild winters compared to any state north or west. ~40" per year of snow is nothing.

Thanks for suggestions guys, and keep 'em coming, but leave the drama at the door.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM

^ i am was not talking about you. i was talking about another another op when i said harsh winters.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 PM

city_data91

I believe if you read the very first line that it states "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and this long, drawn out winter, in cold miserable Scotland has made me have a little re-think"

Learn to READ

Old 03-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
city_data91

I believe if you read the very first line that it states "I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and this long, drawn out winter, in cold miserable Scotland has made me have a little re-think"

Learn to READ
He said the winter has been long. Long does not always equal harsh. Some places have winters that are long but not harsh. Seattle comes to mind.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:45 PM

^ now your just arguing for the sake of arguing because you know that i flat out showed you that you were wrong

i proved and outlined to you the sentence that proved you wrong and you still wont accept it

you are now on my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City