Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by &heart View Post
I'm going to keep it going. San Antonio. Cool city, ugly skyline.

San Antonio has an abundance of historical stock architecture permeating throughout it's downtown area, I wouldn't call it ugly.

credit andy von du wrum

Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has an abundance of historical stock architecture permeating throughout it's downtown area, I wouldn't call it ugly.
I think it adds to the city to have historical stock architecture. The race world-wide seems to be who can put up the tallest vertical ice cube trays. There is something to be said for quality and uniqueness versus bland quantity.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,562 times
Miami has an ugly skyline. There's too many skyscrapers now with all of the "luxury condos" that have been built there.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,711 times
Camden New Jersey

Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think it adds to the city to have historical stock architecture. The race world-wide seems to be who can put up the tallest vertical ice cube trays. There is something to be said for quality and uniqueness versus bland quantity.
What about stylish quantity? I agree that too much kinda gets old. I've always prefered Chicago to Manhattan. Chicago just looks better, less crowded and better organized.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,049,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

credit andy von du wrum
It need some skyscrapers bad

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
It need some skyscrapers bad
No city really NEEDS skyscrapers. It's just that San Antonio is one of the cities that focused more on ground level and smaller/historic buildings to make it more pedestrian friendly. Nothing really wrong with that. And calling San Antonio the worst skyline in America is pretty baseless, if you ask me.

Now El Paso on the other hand...

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

8 posts, read 40,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chark11 View Post
The buildings may not be the tallest, but for an extended metro of 2.3 million, it's not going to compete with Seattle or Chicago. The recent downtown investment of $2.5 billion has further enhanced the skyline. The 11,000' Wasatch Mountains in the background don't hurt the case, either...

http://travel.utah.gov/publications/...ltLakeCity.jpg

You make an excellent point. While Salt Lake City has a ways to go before it's skyline competes with the big boys, it's certainly not the ugliest. Also, it's greater metro is among the fastest growing in the nation, changing rapidly, and Salt Lake City is it's epicenter. The fact that it easily has the most beautiful backdrop of any major metro in No. America can't be overlooked. I have extended family in the area, and ski and also visit often in Spring and Summer. That backdrop is filled with some of the most beautiful canyons and scenery in the world, and it's all so in your face close. If your into the outdoors Salt Lake City is mecca. I can stay at my different relatives homes throughout the metro, and be at a major ski resort within 15 to 25 minutes.

The statements of size being 2.3-plus million is valid. The northern and southern metros are seamlessly joined to the central metro now, and they've invested billions in connecting mass transit and highway infrastructure. From north tip to south tip, Salt lake City's booming population and stunning scenery is unbroken and impressive.

Regarding Downtown L.A., I'm a proud member. Unless you've lived in L.A. in the past few years, you really don't know Downtown. It is changing rapidly now, with regular high rise additions. It still has a decade or two before it approaches some of the eastern downtowns, but it is making some great progress. Also, it's considerable historic mid-rise stock, which is undergoing progressive restoration is some of the most elaborate and beautiful anywhere.

Downtown Salt Lake and Wasatch backdrop
http://bloggingconcentrated.com/wp-c...4597996463.jpg
dilemma-x.net

Typical Canyons throughout Metro
Silver Lake Flats, North Fork, American Fork Canyon
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/91303410.jpg

Lake Blanche, Little Cottonwood Canyon
http://www.kevinrowephoto.com/img/s8...92459026-5.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-14-2014 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2000 View Post
Regarding Downtown L.A., I'm a proud member. Unless you've lived in L.A. in the past few years, you really don't know Downtown. It is changing rapidly now, with regular high rise additions. It still has a decade or two before it approaches some of the eastern downtowns, but it is making some great progress. Also, it's considerable historic mid-rise stock, which is undergoing progressive restoration is some of the most elaborate and beautiful anywhere.
Sanity restored. I also think of DTLA's 10-20 story historic buildings as mid-rises, but someone in another thread was trying to convince me that DC's 12 story boxes count as high-rises.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Camden New Jersey

There has to be some worse - from Camden you actually get great skyline views to boot

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...64.GybiIen0jf0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City