Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it certainly is convenient. Too bad It comes at the cost of boosterism on the internet.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

..... gotta dissagree here. And check it from this angle:

Again, gotta disagree. Trust me, I've had others from that city send me pics personally. It goes a bit further than just the Arch.

But these are just opinions.

+1 I just can't see Detroit or St. Louis being even close to the top of a worst skyline in America list, but it's your opinion (Shrike) and I would def concede they're not near the best really either depending on how you look at. For me, both just have so many beautiful historic buildings and nice density in their cores, but I'll speak more about my old home town.

That picture of yours, like most that are taken, is designed to highlight the Arch, not the skyline as a whole. It is not the best direction to capture the skyline, and your pic is even missing parts of it to the north (right). It's also taken from low down to highlight the height of the Arch, the green top building behind it is actually barely shorter than the Arch. A picture from the west best shows off St. Louis's skyline much better by including things like the gradual buildup of height/density and the multiple skylines depending on how far back the photo (Midtown, Central West End, and the other central business district Clayton, which is also a political and geographical issue that hurts the size of downtown, as well as the Arch itself... buildings can't be taller than the national monument)

Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
San Antonio - Just ugly.
Atlanta - Beautiful buildings, but far to spread out, needs density. Midtown and Buckhead is great.
Jacksonville - No density, small for one of the largest cities in America.
Washington D.C. - No skyline. Very DENSE but would love to see a skyline is this city, It'll be killer.
Detroit - Love Detroit's skyline without the Renn. Building.
Oklahoma City - The Devon taller only made it worse! It was nicer before the building just made it look odd.
Mobile - Again one very tall building with smaller ones.
Clearwater, FL - Dense enough, but very small. Can understand why being St. Petersburg and Tampa both have respectable skylines.
Memphis - Just ugly.
Louisville - Just ugly.
St. Louis - Just ugly.

While River-boarding skylines are not my favorite, they tend to have some nice skylines but the last three cities just are not appealing.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Good call, Orlando's is a complete joke, what is even a bigger joke is that although you only see about 6 tall buildings in that picture, two of them are condo building built just to give the impression of a skyline that are 80% vacant at all. The biggest calamity about the Orlando skyline is that they built a 23 story courthouse not depicted that is probably the least functional building in America for the sole person of forcing itself to look like a city. It has been a true miserable failure, just awful skyline.
The Courthouse here, is a fully-functional building. I'm all for opinions, but that there simply just isn't true. That building is crowded (If Not the most crowded). It's courtrooms on every floor are used. You have District Attorneys, Public Defenders, Florida Legislature, ETC housed there.
And our condos? They are all over 80% capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I didnt know all that, Orlando dont need no 23 story courthouse, thats stupid.

Jacksonville has a terrible skyline, probably one of the worst.

and that Modis building is so damn ugly

How is building up stupid?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Detroit's problem is that its downtown is just so small in comparison to other downtowns, and the fact that it doesn't really have any impressive skyscrapers like other cities nor has it had any skyscapers that really "changed" the skyline in a while.

You can look at Detroit's skyline and tell that it basically stopped growing after the Great Depression.

But it is nice because of how closesly knit the buildings are, and that old-fashioned downtown type of architecture.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
As for Philadelphia, it's definitely one of my top 5 skylines.

Philly's skyline has that perfect but realistic "the big city" skyline most would think of when they think of the big city.

The height of the skyscrapers relative to their location are spot on, steadily increasing as you head the city of the center. They're all densely packed as well.

The only thing that ****s up Philadelphia's skyline is the Comcast Center. As usual, "XFINITY" has to **** up everything.

Philadelphia's skyline in a way is similar to Detroit's, but far more dominating with the taller skyscrapers and being that it's larger in area.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-11-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
I'm thinking that a more apt title for this thread would be "most disappointing skyline" rather than "worst." My thought is that a lot of cities mentioned actually do have a skyline...and having a skyline is better than not having one. So the "worst skyline" would probably have to be an actual city with little or no skyline.

For example...Detroit. Might be disappointing in size to some people....but they have a wonderful collection of beautiful pre-WWII buildings. Better than most cities not named New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. I'm not impressed with the number of "modern" skycrapers...but it's hardly the worst skyline in America.

Are large suburbs included in the criteria? Because a lot of them are disappointing due to their size. Or are we just considering metros?

Disappointing skylines for principle cities (of large metros):
Top 10: Washington, DC (easily explained - not a knock on the city...but due to legislation, there isn't much of a "skyline"....still, not without iconic buildings.

Top 25: Riverside-San Bernardino...the problem with this selection is that although it is a metro area, a lot of it feeds off of the Los Angeles area.

Top 50: San Jose...simply off of size alone. It's not like there aren't nice buildings in San Jose...but most of the actual "skyline" is concentrated in the CSA in San Francisco, and to a lesser extent, Oakland.

After that...take your pick. There are a lot of big areas that don't really have a robust skyline...but a lot of population.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Detroit's problem is that its downtown is just so small in comparison to other downtowns, and the fact that it doesn't really have any impressive skyscrapers like other cities nor has it had any skyscapers that really "changed" the skyline in a while.

You can look at Detroit's skyline and tell that it basically stopped growing after the Great Depression.

But it is nice because of how closesly knit the buildings are, and that old-fashioned downtown type of architecture.

Not even a fan of old buildings, but I remember watching some Parade in downtown Detroit in 2010 and man that shot was beautiful. Detroit has an awesome skyline. But see being in Florida, all I see is new buildings. Again old buildings have no appeal but the way Detroit had their skyscraper alignment laid out was great!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Not even a fan of old buildings, but I remember watching some Parade in downtown Detroit in 2010 and man that shot was beautiful. Detroit has an awesome skyline. But see being in Florida, all I see is new buildings. Again old buildings have no appeal but the way Detroit had their skyscraper alignment laid out was great!
No appeal?

Well you do at least understand why Detroit (and most other Rust Belt) cities are better with having older, pre-Brutalist era buildings. I'm a fan of any skyscraper if it's done right.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,887 times
well i have never been to LA either.. but i have seen its downtown online and i think it looks nice.. nothing like Miami tho.. but your user name speaks enough.. minnesota rocks over Fl? i live in south florida and i think Fl has WWAAYY more to offer.. AND we have Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Jax and alot more smaller cities..enough said..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City