Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Are there large cities with no 'red-light' districts, few adult shops, strip clubs.etc that sort of thing? By large I'm thinking 1 million in the surrounding suburban metro area.

I'm guessing Salt Lake City and maybe Oklahoma City. Perhaps cities like Omaha too. It's not a huge deal, but it seems there is quite alot of it in the cities in Australia...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
Boston used to have a red light district, but it's essentially gone now. But I think the Puritan influence is still apparent in the entire New England region, because I've maybe seen one single strip club and one adult store in my entire life here.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
A lot of these places moved out into the suburbs, particularly to quasi-industrial areas with easy freeway access. Rent are cheaper and that's where their clients are. Inner-city red-light districts are becoming small to nonexistent, even in New York City. We have zoning laws that tend to push these places further out. I don't know the specifics, but they can't be within a certain distance of a school, for example. The Internet has effected these establishments as well. They exist, but they're not in centralized districts anymore.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,564,294 times
Boston no longer has the infamous combat zone. New Englands Red Light District has been moved to Providence for sure. Adult video stores, strip clubs, bath houses, sex clubs. asian spas, its all in prov. also prostitution is legal in rhode island, as long as its behind closed doors.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,564,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Boston used to have a red light district, but it's essentially gone now. But I think the Puritan influence is still apparent in the entire New England region, because I've maybe seen one single strip club and one adult store in my entire life here.
lol you should come to providence. over a dozen strip clubs here.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
A lot of these places moved out into the suburbs, particularly to quasi-industrial areas with easy freeway access. Rent are cheaper and that's where their clients are. Inner-city red-light districts are becoming small to nonexistent, even in New York City. We have zoning laws that tend to push these places further out. I don't know the specifics, but they can't be within a certain distance of a school, for example. The Internet has effected these establishments as well. They exist, but they're not in centralized districts anymore.
Trust me, there are still Red-light districts in NYC.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
But I think the Puritan influence is still apparent in the entire New England region, because I've maybe seen one single strip club and one adult store in my entire life here.
I think this is true for Northern New England. I know in Maine there is one real strip club (in Portland) and some other towns have a few little places with occasional adult entertainment. But not very much at all.

Providence has a bunch, but fortunately they're far enough away from the city center. I had the misfortune of following a friend to Cheaters in Providence and it was a terrifying experience.

The Combat Zone in Boston may be no more (isn't there only on strip club in downtown Boston now.. the "Glass Slipper"), but the suburbs don't lack them. Stoughton has a few, and there are a bunch of other towns that have them. I can think of two more on the South Coast.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
Chicago, Illinois

Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM

196 posts, read 993,120 times
Here is a great Youtube video on the demise of Boston's Combat Zone

I was too young to frequent those establishments during it's last years but I was often in the neighborhood and I miss its grittiness.....

YouTube - Boston Chinatown Banquet - Combat Zone

Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,824,041 times
I don't know of cities without such things, but all of Portland is like a redlight district. Portland has the highest per capita number or strip clubs in the whole world. It's like America's Amsterdam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City