Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Sorry LiNative. Chicago is not a smaller New York. The mentality, feel and culture of this city is very very different. I could say I love New York so I like Philly or even Long Island but not Chicago.
I think we've ascertained that. I, for one, don't care if you hate Chicago - makes no difference whatsoever.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
and the pizza - that is more like a quiche
GQ just named a spot in Andersonville as having the best pizza in America. So, I guess the people at GQ are idiots.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I was sentenced to 5 years of hard labour but because I killed the warden they made me come to Chicago instead. Lincoln Park, around Jansen. One more year to go.
You said it was just a few more days in another thread.

Where is Jansen?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I find it beyond bizzare how someone could love New York but not at LEAST like Chicago. Its like saying that you love the gold medal winner but hate the silver medal winner right behind! Since you are always talking about Chicago, I wonder if deep inside, you really do love Chicago but have this love-hate complex in your head?
That is exactly right, and I have been saying that too. Dementor loves Chicago. He adores it, and cherishes it. He wants to visit some time, but he can't, because he is twelve and his mom won't take him this far from White Plains, NY on summer vacation.

I'm not insulting him at all; just stating what I perceive to be the facts. He has already said that he's never been to Chicago, and his story changes every time he tells it.

Deep down, he fears the hulking, sparkling behemoth in the middle of the continent, with its older skyscrapers and its more diversified economy than the city he is closest to (NYC). In order to deal with this fear, he lashes out at Chicago. It can't possibly be better than New York! I'll show you!

In the end, though, his admiration for the city shines through. Nobody would spend as much time researching and discussing a topic they hate as Dementor spends on Chicago.

Dementor LOVES CHICAGO.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
No **** in the worst recession in the past few generations? Ya don't say. How's Downtown Crossing doing? Looks like a bustling shopping district to me.
Ok, Downtown Crossing has had its troubles lately due to a spike in crime, but it's not even our primary shopping district. However it's still a bustling for much of the day compared to many other downtowns in the country. If you look at the lighting in that picture, it's probably around 6am. Don't be a dick and start attacking other cities just because one poster from Boston has said something about Chicago. By attacking other cities, you're no better than posters like Dementor or NorthEnd. I can dig just as deep as you and just as easily if I wanted to throw dirt on Chicago, but I don't because I have class and I can understand that all big cities have problems, even sometimes in areas that were once thriving.

I took this photo of Downtown Crossing last week after work:

Looks really deserted to me!

There was supposed to be a huge Residential/Office/Hotel/Retail project to replace/restore the old Filenes building, however the financing has been crippled due to the financial crisis.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well yeah but population change is one of the indicators of city's health.
Losing population is never good even if people just move to the suburbs.
Actually it is a good thing. Population growth of a region is healthy for the region. Chicago's suburbs and the city itself have a symbiotic relationship. The suburbs feed commuters in daily who spend their money and resources downtown, which in turn provides employment and tourism to the suburbanites.

You mentioned earlier that, unlike Boston and NYC, Chicago doesn't have any competition. If you're talking about major cities, you're correct. However, Chicago does have "competition" of sorts: its suburbs. Yet this competition is beneficial to the region of Chicagoland as a whole. City-dwellers and suburbanites switch places, exchanging ideas and dollars and valuable goods and services, and the region benefits together.

Chicago's population may continue to shrink without that being any indicator of its increasing or decreasing importance. As long as the metropolitan area continues to grow, Chicago will thrive as the world-class city it has become.

Due to your statements in the San Francisco forum, I know how important metro areas are to you. Therefore, I expect you to be onboard with my position here as well (naturally I don't really expect this, because your obsession seems to be negativity toward Chicago in opposition to all facts).

For anyone who actually cares to learn, however, I hope this has been helpful.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Chicago proper is expected to increase in population in this upcoming census. There is a small urban revival occurring and many people are moving back into the city. Have you seen all of the new condo development downtown, west loop, river north, south loop?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago proper is expected to increase in population in this upcoming census. There is a small urban revival occurring and many people are moving back into the city. Have you seen all of the new condo development downtown, west loop, river north, south loop?
Right, but a lot of the population growth in the downtown area, is being offset by the loss of Hispanic/African American population that is moving to Elgin, Aurora, Joliet...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Right, but a lot of the population growth in the downtown area, is being offset by the loss of Hispanic/African American population that is moving to Elgin, Aurora, Joliet...
While possibly true, this would mean the city is losing poorer residents and gaining wealthier residents. What mayor wouldn't gladly take that trade?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
While possibly true, this would mean the city is losing poorer residents and gaining wealthier residents. What mayor wouldn't gladly take that trade?
I agree that this is a positive for the city, Im just saying that looking at all the highrises going up DT doesn't mean the city is gaining residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City