Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Where I live it's usually the suburb bashing the central city.
Works both ways here in the Twin Cities, too. And the outstate rural folks like to bash the city, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM

306 posts, read 475,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Works both ways here in the Twin Cities, too. And the outstate rural folks like to bash the city, too.

Hmmm I did not know this.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Yeah, some people in "outstate" MN like to bash the Twin Cities (and especially Minneapolis and St. Paul) because they feel the metro area gets all the money and attention. You see it come up a lot during discussions of transportation (and transportation funding), among other hot topics.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Im from the actual hood, and Ive seen this type of thing more than a few times.

Other than just the annoying ignorance of it, it shouldnt be much of a problem until they actually think its like that, or want it to be like that, and then some bad things start to happen (like the other poster mentioned a shooting).

A lot of these kids grew up with their mom and dad at work so they turned on MTV/BET or whatever and go on youtube and have it in their mind that its "cool" to be from the ghetto or have this kind of stuff happen since its glorified in rap music. Instead of being themself, they think they will look tougher or be more respected if they can say theyre from the ghetto.

I was staying in a nice neighborhood in a westside Cleveland suburb for a short time not long ago, and Ive seen this type of thing. Its hilarious to me that these kids think theyre from the "ghetto" in a neighborhood that was 95% white with pretty much no poverty. I would have loved to live in that type of neighborhood growing up instead of going through what I had to go through in the ghetto, with the poverty/crime/getting robbed and shot at. Its more of an annoyance than anything, and most of them will grow out of it hopefully.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It does the same here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Im from the actual hood, and Ive seen this type of thing more than a few times.

Other than just the annoying ignorance of it, it shouldnt be much of a problem until they actually think its like that, or want it to be like that, and then some bad things start to happen (like the other poster mentioned a shooting).

A lot of these kids grew up with their mom and dad at work so they turned on MTV/BET or whatever and go on youtube and have it in their mind that its "cool" to be from the ghetto or have this kind of stuff happen since its glorified in rap music. Instead of being themself, they think they will look tougher or be more respected if they can say theyre from the ghetto.

I was staying in a nice neighborhood in a westside Cleveland suburb for a short time not long ago, and Ive seen this type of thing. Its hilarious to me that these kids think theyre from the "ghetto" in a neighborhood that was 95% white with pretty much no poverty. I would have loved to live in that type of neighborhood growing up instead of going through what I had to go through in the ghetto, with the poverty/crime/getting robbed and shot at. Its more of an annoyance than anything, and most of them will grow out of it hopefully.

I see this all the time at the HS ( I am a sophmore) It is just about 100% the Freshman think they are all "Big,Bad and Tough" They stand around all "pumped up" Thinking they are gangsters when just about everyone calls them "Wannabe Wangsters" It is hilarious in some aspects and in others it is just plain ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Suburban kids do not have a monopoly on ignorance. There's ignorant kids everywhere, they're just ignorant about different things.

BUT, if you wanted to give an award for "most ignorance per square mile", I would assume that the inner city would win, due to the higher population density

Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
No worries... just ignore them...

The world is loaded with ignorant people, the minority always has the truth through out history.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,203 times
Yea i notice the kids of Lodi, NJ who think their town is a hood. And i let them think that so when they see the real hood they'll be shocked and be appreciative of what they have or had.
Though i never liked the suburban upper class people either, that's why i try to live in the diverse place (racially and economically). I can't stand how everyone separates themselves.

I grew up in Newark... no suburb in between the lines anywhere in that city.
but is thus thread necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City