Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
MA

too many white people..
How very racist of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
Massachusetts -it's full of liberal white people, who have no clue about what the rest of America thinks-this is the least diverse state, more ways than one.
Here we go again. At least you're not from the south, so no one can attack us down here.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You seem to know a lot about the "rest of America" as evidenced by that statement. [/sarcasm]

Maine and Vermont tend to flip-flop back and forth in terms of being statistically the whitest states in the nation. I'm sure others aren't too far off. However, we're talking about "Ethnically diverse" when discussing which state is the whitest.

I don't think that means that those places lack in culture though. Sure, different ethnic groups bring their own cultures, but unlike ethnicity, cultural diversity can be shaped by environment. Maine may not have a large variety of ethnic cultures (as a result of the lack of ethnic diversity), but it does have a couple of its own unique cultures that make it relatively diverse in that regard. For example, Maine has a blue-collar maritime culture, a good deal of French-Canadian "Quebecois" culture, a lot of agricultural/ hard working rural types (which IS a culture), a hefty outdoorsy culture, and in some pockets, a pretty decent little art/ music scene. Vermont has a lot of the same cultures with a heavy emphasis on the far left wing liberals (though plenty of others as well). While I will hardly call Maine or Vermont very diverse places ethnically, they are geographically diverse and culturally diverse. Moreover, they lack a lot of the suburbanite, chain store/restaurant, cookie cutter culture that plagues many other places (yes, every teen being emo or skater is technically "culture"). In many ways, they can have more culture than many places that are much more ethnically diverse.

I'm looking forward to getting back out of the state of Maine (great place to visit, too small to live) and don't have any real emotional ties to this place, but I can hardly sit here and say that it lacks cultural diversity despite the incredible lack of ethnic diversity.
Miami goes through the same thing. Alot of the Miami haters say Miami isnt diverse because everyone is from the carribean. There are ALOT of DIFFERENT carribean countries that make up the culture of Miami.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I have very little experience in MA outside of Boston/Brookline/Cambridge, but I can tell you that during the four years I spent there I met several classmates, colleagues, neighbors, and friends of, let's see: Italian, French, Irish, Euro-Latin, Spanish, Russian, Armenian, Persian, Jewish, English, Anglo-American, Israeli and other origins. And those are just the "white" people! It's frustrating that people see that Boston is majority-white and jump to the conclusion that it's not diverse. The "white" population in the Boston area is incredibly varied.
It's the same with Miami. They see hispanic and say it's not diverse. There are MANY dofferent hispanics besides cuban.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
I have heard Montana doesn't have much to offer.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Polo, I wonder why people think all Hispanics and all Carribeans are alike. It's like going to France and saying all Europeans are alike.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Talking A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Amen to that!! These liberal whites who have been so sheltered from the harsh realities people with less money must deal with, and who place so much judgment on poorer whites, are not confined to the Northeast. Small Midwest college towns that are predominantly white are hotbeds of their type. As long as you have well educated people who are sheltered from the rougher side of life, you will have their liberal ideologies. When you live in an environment with little crime or poverty, it is easy to think you have all of the answers regarding these subjects. That such individuals, in reality, know less about these subjects than anyone else does not stop their pretending to have all of the answers. It is easy to have those answers when the problem does not involve you.
I agree with much of this. I would say for every 2 liberals, one is the real genuine article and has really thought out his/her postions. The other is a phony who just wants to look politically correct on a college campus, the internet or with friends.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Polo, I wonder why people think all Hispanics and all Carribeans are alike. It's like going to France and saying all Europeans are alike.
I wonder also. It's intresting. They have many things in common, and they may have a common ancestry, BUT they are still VERY different, and thus different nationalities.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:47 AM

There are just as many PHONY conservatives as there are liberals, who lie, cheat, and steal, just like the liberals. And at every chance they get ATTACK the commander and chief. Example: Sean Hannity attacking Obama, because he thought Obama was trying to take credit for the Navy SEAL's succesful mission saving the American hostages from Somalian pirates. Even the republican he was interviewing had to question Hannity. Every little thing he does.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:27 PM

225 posts, read 755,306 times
Indiana has to be right up there for lack of diversity, lack of tolerance, and lack of open-mindedness. It has a surplus of hicks, rednecks and bible-belt mentality adherents. Many people in Indiana think Indiana is the center of the universe, and that anything outside the borders of the United States is off the end of the (flat) earth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City