Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times

Advertisements

please, nowincal, tell me exactly where we started a discussion in which who had the largest street gangs meant a damn thing. please tell me. because last i checked, camden is worse than compton and i don't see a gang from camden there. last i checked, philly is worse than la and i don't see a gang from philly there. so please tell me what your little list proves.

as for the mafia, my world IS a world of reality, yours seems to be based off of what you DON'T see in the news. i've got plenty of close family friends who are police officers, a few of them work tons of mafia investigations. the mafia is responsible for HUGE amounts of trafficking of TONS of different stuff up and down i-95. the mafia runs unions, construction and also drugs and weapons trafficking all up and down 95 to this day. they've told me personally that i wouldn't believe what is going up and down 95 daily.

you can sit here and say it's not as pronounced as 20+ years ago, but that same thing goes for street gangs. street gangs are nowhere near as pronounced as they were 20+ years ago either. the lost relevance is not limited to organized crime.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
so are italian mobsters in new york and new jersey wannabes then? because they're the italian mafia but they're not in italy.

sure, compton is THAT place. it was created out of publicity. but it's NOT THE WORST PLACE. rappers created "compton." that's it. that's why compton's name is so big. rappers created the name. but there's NOTHING i need to know other than crime statistics. THAT'S IT. THAT IS FRICKIN IT!!! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, do you UNDERSTAND???

p.s. not reading your response jman. you posted pictures of the bronx in the 70s trying to pass them off as today's new york. i'm not even going to argue with someone like that. not responding to ecyde or you in ANY thread, and not responding to nowincal in this thread. so just shut up.
I'm not making outrageous claims that some ghettos are "harder" than another. Only someone who never EVER lived in any ghetto would make such an insulting claim. In every ghetto it's the same sh*t. There are places in Nebraska you shouldn't step foot if you're not from there. Poverty is poverty and violence is violence. Are bullets pixelated in Compton like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas? No. And FYI, Baltimore may have more ghetto per capita than most cities but Baltimore has affluent areas as well. What you said about media coverage applies to Baltimore as well. TV shows like The Wire call attention to Baltimore's very real scary ghetto side. Do rich White Jewish kids who play Lacrosse and live in North Baltimore have the right to claim they are from the ghetto just because they are from Baltimore? Hell no.

Also, Compton, as a whole, is VERY ghetto. You don't have any factual evidence to back your claims either. Many years, Compton's overall crime rate has eclipsed that of Baltimore. Rappers didn't make that up. In 2009, Compton made America's most dangerous cities list at number eight. Baltimore wasn't even in the top ten:

http://www.walletpop.com/photos/dangerous-cities/

Did you read that Compton actually slightly surpassed big and bad Baltimore in murder rate? Why don't you take a trip to L.A. and tell all the murder victims' families that their family members were killed by N.W.A. lyrics. I can see why Compton would be on many people's "worst city they've ever visited" list. Compton is only one of the top statistically most dangerous cities on the entire West Coast.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-15-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I'm not making outrageous claims that some ghettos are "harder" than another. Only someone who never EVER lived in any ghetto would make such an insulting claim. In every ghetto it's the same sh*t. There are places in Nebraska you shouldn't step foot if you're not from there. Poverty is poverty and violence is violence. Are bullets pixelated in Compton like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas? No. And FYI, Baltimore may have more ghetto per capita than most cities but Baltimore has affluent areas as well. What you said about media coverage applies to Baltimore as well. TV shows like The Wire call attention to Baltimore's very real scary ghetto side. Do rich White Jewish kids who play Lacrosse and live in North Baltimore have the right to claim they are from the ghetto just because they are from Baltimore? Hell no.
so because compton can be considered a ghetto, that makes it just as bad as port au prince now, huh?

as for the rest of your response, what are you even talking about? we weren't even talking about half of what you just said. sure, baltimore got a lot of publicity from the wire. but you guys were arguing that compton is some sort of godly epitome of hoods when it's not even close to the "baddest" hood in the country. say what you will about me not living in a hood. that's irrelevant.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
so because compton can be considered a ghetto, that makes it just as bad as port au prince now, huh?

as for the rest of your response, what are you even talking about? we weren't even talking about half of what you just said. sure, baltimore got a lot of publicity from the wire. but you guys were arguing that compton is some sort of godly epitome of hoods when it's not even close to the "baddest" hood in the country. say what you will about me not living in a hood. that's irrelevant.
Actually many American cites rank globally in terms of ghettoness and threat to safety. It's just that fat Americans have been falsely led to believe that we're number one and that we are somehow better than everyone else. We're number one alright. Number one in alot of BAD categories:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...s-the-world-in

Detroit and New Orleans have been rated in the top ten most dangerous cities in the world list. These are just the facts based on numbers. If the top ten most dangerous cities in the world were actually ranked, Detroit would come in at number 3:

Most Dangerous Cities in the World

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/worlds-1...ngerous-cities

I was not saying that Compton was the epitome or god of hoods. We were just outraged at you saying that Compton wasn't hood. I can only imagine what type of ignorant crap you would spew at me if you heard my backstory. I'm from the hood in San Francisco. When it was really bad in the 80's and 90's too. The place East Coast natives think is some latte sipping f*g yuppie paradise with not an inch of ghetto. You would be so wrong.

And yes, many areas of the United States are quasi-Third World. Do you know millions of people in Ghetto America don't have access to clean drinking water or sanitation like people in, well, the Third World? It is because these things cost money in America and not everyone lives in a wealthy place full of overpaid soulless lazy government busy bodies and suits like Fairfax, VA. Do you know that DC and Baltimore are statistically more dangerous than Iraq? Do you know that certain ghetto areas have infant mortality rates that mirror some of the worst places in Haiti? Do you know how inadequate healthcare is for poor people in the ghetto in the good ol' USA? Do you know that places like Hunter's Point in San Francisco only have one licensed pediatrician for thousands and thousands of young children? Do you know how many kids under twelve years old choose to sell crack just so they won't go hungry every night in American ghettos? Sounds pretty third world to me. You wouldn't know any of this because you never lived in the hood.

American Blacks Without Enough Access To Water

Iraq Less Violent than Washington, D.C.

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

BAYVIEW-HUNTERS POINT / S.F.'s invisible majority / Area with highest density of children is most underserved - SFGate

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-15-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
please, nowincal, tell me exactly where we started a discussion in which who had the largest street gangs meant a damn thing. please tell me. because last i checked, camden is worse than compton and i don't see a gang from camden there. last i checked, philly is worse than la and i don't see a gang from philly there. so please tell me what your little list proves.

as for the mafia, my world IS a world of reality, yours seems to be based off of what you DON'T see in the news. i've got plenty of close family friends who are police officers, a few of them work tons of mafia investigations. the mafia is responsible for HUGE amounts of trafficking of TONS of different stuff up and down i-95. the mafia runs unions, construction and also drugs and weapons trafficking all up and down 95 to this day. they've told me personally that i wouldn't believe what is going up and down 95 daily.

you can sit here and say it's not as pronounced as 20+ years ago, but that same thing goes for street gangs. street gangs are nowhere near as pronounced as they were 20+ years ago either. the lost relevance is not limited to organized crime.
Yea I'm sure the close family friends who are cops really let you in on high level mafia investigations considering most of those investigations are handled by the feds. And I'm sure they risk their jobs to tell some 21 year old.

Perhaps the levels of what you would believe and what the rest of us would believe are different.

Street gangs are far more pronounced now than 20 years ago. Sure, now they aren't as violent, but they are making more money now than ever. There are more street gang members in Chicago and NYC than ever before.

BTW, you brought up the fact that Compton was for sissies.

There are plenty of worse places than Compton. But just because there are worse places doesn't mean Compton is a picnic where some 21 year old from the middle of Virginia could assert control over an entire gang infested suburb of LA.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Yea I'm sure the close family friends who are cops really let you in on high level mafia investigations considering most of those investigations are handled by the feds. And I'm sure they risk their jobs to tell some 21 year old.
they don't tell me the happenings of the insides of the investigations. there's a difference between letting information out during investigations and telling me what activities organized crime groups engage in. it's obvious you are not in law enforcement and you know nobody in law enforcement, at least not closely.

Quote:
Perhaps the levels of what you would believe and what the rest of us would believe are different.
"perhaps" you're ignorant to reality as it's so obvious you make your judgements based off of what you see on the news. in other words, if you don't see big guns and whatnot being smuggled up the interstate in box trucks or tractor trailers by organized crime syndicates on the news every day, it doesn't happen in your little world very often.

Quote:
Street gangs are far more pronounced now than 20 years ago. Sure, now they aren't as violent, but they are making more money now than ever. There are more street gang members in Chicago and NYC than ever before.
organized crime is making more money than it was 20 years ago too. are you that unable to grasp the fact that street gangs only make money if organized crime makes money? you're sitting here saying that street gangs are making more money now, but it's almost like you're saying that while attempting to imply that organized crime hasn't been able to do that. it proves how little you know because organized crime is THE supplier and brains behind it all. street gangs are like the sales people, earning commission off of the crap they sell for organized crime groups. they sell the guns... supplied by organized crime groups. they sell the drugs, supplied by organized crime groups. etc etc.

organized crime also has its industries in stuff street gangs are too simple to reach such as oil, unions, construction, transportation, etc

Quote:
BTW, you brought up the fact that Compton was for sissies.

There are plenty of worse places than Compton. But just because there are worse places doesn't mean Compton is a picnic where some 21 year old from the middle of Virginia could assert control over an entire gang infested suburb of LA.
if i truly wanted to, i could do anything any gangbanger in compton can do. if i was that determined to make money without having to get a real job, i could be a gang member. there's nothing unique or hard about a compton gang member that makes them genetically fit to be a gang member. but what keeps me from doing that is 1) i'm not a simpleton 2) i'm not stupid enough to risk prison time selling dope on the corner for burger king wages and 3) i graduated from high school.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Jesus christ, CGP, jman, will you two please take it to a private discussion? Seriously, you two b*tching at each other is so irritating, it's like two girls who didn't get a date for the night and are whining about it.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 PM

94 posts, read 220,317 times
Quote:
That is the dumbest claim ever. I live in Maryland and all the hoodrats in Baltimore have been running around trying to claim Blood and Crip affiliations for years. Where did the Bloods and Crips originate ? That's right, drug dealing crews in Baltimore want to boost their credibility by naming themselves after L.A. based gangs and claiming streets in where? Compton! When I first moved to Maryland in the late 90's, there were no Bloods or Crips in Baltimore. Every ghetto in America wants to be compared to Compton. You obviously don't know sh*t about California.

Baltimore gangs claiming national affiliation
When the Bloods & Crips tried to come into New Orleans about 25 years ago, they were run out of town. No self respecting NOLA wardy would let some outside gangs try to take their turf, plus blue & red don't work during Mardi Gras.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenola View Post
When the Bloods & Crips tried to come into New Orleans about 25 years ago, they were run out of town. No self respecting NOLA wardy would let some outside gangs try to take their turf, plus blue & red don't work during Mardi Gras.
I'm from the Bay. Same thing happened in the turfs of San Francisco and Oakland. Bloods and Crips got ran out of the Bay fast when they tried to establish themselves in the 80's. SF & Oakland has been more about pimping and hustling. I hate it when people from the East Coast assume Cali is one big homogenous state. I've heard people from the East Coast tell me, a Bay Area native, that Oakland is full of Crips and MS-13 warring against each other . That describes L.A., not the Bay. Many ghetto idiots from Maryland refuse to believe that there are no Bloods or Crips in SF or Oakland because their favorite TV rappers like Lil Wayne and Wacka Flocka love to endorse L.A. gangs like the Bloods so much. The only Crips in the Bay are Samoans who usually have family connections to O.G. sets from L.A. Chicago doesn't have Bloods or Crips either. Only the East Coast and some parts of the South (NOLA not included) are the ones riding L.A.'s coattails.

San Francisco Bay Guardian News

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
I'm from the Bay. Same thing happened in the turfs of San Francisco and Oakland. Bloods and Crips got ran out of the Bay fast when they tried to establish themselves in the 80's. SF & Oakland has been more about pimping and hustling. I hate it when people from the East Coast assume Cali is one big homogenous state. I've heard people from the East Coast tell me, a Bay Area native, that Oakland is full of Crips and MS-13 warring against each other . That describes L.A., not the Bay. Many ghetto idiots from Maryland refuse to believe that there are no Bloods or Crips in SF or Oakland because their favorite TV rappers like Lil Wayne and Wacka Flocka love to endorse L.A. gangs like the Bloods so much. The only Crips in the Bay are Samoans who usually have family connections to O.G. sets from L.A. Chicago doesn't have Bloods or Crips either. Only the East Coast and some parts of the South (NOLA not included) are the ones riding L.A.'s coattails.

San Francisco Bay Guardian News
DC never been about gangs...even ms13 has to operate in the burbs of md bc in the city its no play for them..Baltimore be on that silly gang stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City