Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyClark View Post
On the east coast DC and NY are rivals, mainly because so many of the NYers are loud obnoxious and are constantly seeking attention.

But go to a college in the midwest and the whole east coast more or less sticks together because the bammaz from Chi and Detroit/Cleveland seem to hold a grudge against the east coast people.
I didn't even see that before my post but I went to college in the midwest and people HATED these trash talking NYCers. I only say NYC because those were the only people from the EC that I knew. And the reason we hold a grudge? The kids at my school came from Chicago, St. Louis, and the region (East Chicago, Gary, basically NW Indiana), places where it is far more dangerous than NYC. Yet the New Yoikers though they were harder and better from everyone else.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I must be missing something who acts all hard and can't back it up, that's not no typical NYCer either?

Don't believe that safe city hype either.

That was a funny story btw .
Why do you consider it to be hype? I had 2 friends move to NYC from Chicago. One lived across the street from some housing projects. They both said NYC looked worse but did not compare in crime. Neither had any trouble, however one was jumped before he left in one of Chicago's safest neighborhoods.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Why do you consider it to be hype? I had 2 friends move to NYC from Chicago. One lived across the street from some housing projects. They both said NYC looked worse but did not compare in crime. Neither had any trouble, however one was jumped before he left in one of Chicago's safest neighborhoods.
There's projects in good neighborhoods too and not even every projects is bad even Queensbridge ain't even bad, just because nothing happened to them doesn't mean it won't happen to somebody else. Most of the city's crime is concentrated in small areas too, I bet most of the people I know don't even know its considered the safest big city.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
Juarez, Mexico

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
As in bad crime and Stuff the bad side of Brockton,Ma

Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,245 times
I would say Toledo, OH. I admit that I was only there for a couple of days, but that was to much time there.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,821 times
north philly around temple university. by far the worst area i've walked around in.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I'll say pockets in the rural South. I've been through some bad parts of Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis, and when I look around I feel sad because there was a point when what's pure hood now was a nice middle class or working class neighborhood. It might have been a long time ago and for not a long period of time, but even the worst modern public housing projects had a window of time when they were reasonably good places to live. (If only post-WW2 urban planners hadn't learned the lessons from the NY tennements that when you stack large homogenous populations of poor people on top of each other, it all goes down hill after a few years, but I digress.)

But go into some of the small towns in the Deep South, and there's a sense that they were never good places to live. The legal definitions changed, but the plantation system just chugged along for another hundred years, and the majority of the sharecroppers were never ever going to be able to afford the nice Sears kit home that the working class family in East St. Louis in the 1920s managed to scrape together their dollars to buy.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
^^^ I don't believe that is true at all.
it is, zoe pound is a national gang. and you can only join by having Haitian heritage.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
it is, zoe pound is a national gang. and you can only join by having Haitian heritage.
How do you figure they are national?

The may be a violent presence down in Little Haiti but I have not heard anything at all about them anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City