Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,825,687 times

Advertisements

1. New York
2. Washington DC
3. Houston
4. Los Angeles
5. Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This came directly from the census bureau.Dallas did not have more in NET MIGRATION.They had this to say about Net Migration and the Definition:

If you look at the chart on page 8,you will see Atlanta's(6.9%) net migration growth rate is TWICE the growth of of both Dallas(3.1%) and Houston(2.5%).Which is basically saying that Dallas and Houston owe a large part of its growth from OUTSIDE of the U.S.(ie Mexico) whereas Atlanta is recieving more people CURRENTLY in the U.S.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf
My appologies. You are correct about this. I missunderstood.

Atlanta owes more of its growth to other places in the US, whereas Dallas and Houston owe more of its growth to Latin America (not just Mexico, but Central America as a whole).

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
My appologies. You are correct about this. I missunderstood.

Atlanta owes more of its growth to other places in the US, whereas Dallas and Houston owe more of its growth to Latin America (not just Mexico, but Central America as a whole).
not just Mexico but more than 50% and more than 70% from Latin American.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
not just Mexico but more than 50% and more than 70% from Latin American.
I have a question for you.

Why would it be hard to concieve that DFW and IAH harness more international O&D than ATL especially since youve proven correctly that Atlanta harnesses more doestic growth while Dallas and Houston harness more international growth (even if alot of it is from Central America)?

And if we are talking about which cities are more international, how do we determine which ones are the most so? I would say by foreign born residents, but Im open to suggestions.

I dont buy that # of consulates make a city more international because they tend to congrigate in one city in a reigion so they can harness benefits from each other. Certain consulates end up in a city where there are virtually no local ties (ie. the Korean Consulate in Houston or the Brazilian consulate in San Francisco).

Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,423 times
Quote:
Being the 8th busiest is nothing (which is not true)Its 16th.With 50million less than ATL and Dallas(maybe you meant it at #7) is bigger but still 33,000 less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

The thing is you and some others are trying to make a case individually for certain things Houston or any other city beats Atlanta inThat however is not the question.The question was on a national scale importance.That is open to interpretation.If there was a biological attack somewhere in the U.S.Atlanta would probably be important.Some say Houston is important because of energy(oil)well I agree.But so is Anchorage,and New Orleans.To some Houston is still more important.i'm not saying they are wrong.I'm just saying I do not agree more so than what I think Atlanta is in different areas of importance.
WOW! I don't even know were to start! This was a good debate at first, but now your just being ridiculous!

Fist of all did you even read the link? Your going to accuse The Houston Airport System of making up numbers and you back it up with a wikipedia link? Wow! And as far as claiming that Atlanta deserves a top 5 spot based on the fact that it has built a huge industry around transportation, ask Detroit how that has worked for them.

And so I guess you think that New York is not the financial center of the country because of Chicago, San Francisco, and Charlotte? Give me a brake. Comparing Houston to Anchorage and New Orleans is like comparing New York to Charlotte. Houston is the undisputed energy center of this hemisphere, and the only city that can compete with Houston is Dallas (and MAYBE Calgary but that's irrelevant because it's not even in the US).

And I would agree with you that the importance of a city depends on more than just airports, but your the one that keeps bringing it up. Sense Atlanta is not a New York, Chicago, or LA, the cultural aspects of Atlanta vs Houston or Dallas all depends on how you look at it. Although Atlanta may beat Houston or Dallas in TV broadcasting, that is only a small part of culture. I could go into Houston's ballet, opera, and symphony orchestra or Houston's prestigious museums and well renowned art scene. Or how the DFW has more museums designed by Pritzker Prized architects then i care to mention (4 in Fort Worth alone). And then of course there is the music scenes, film, and blah blah blah. The point being, it's all depends on how you look at it.

The only "credible" arguments you seem to have made for Atlanta being "more important" than Houston or Dallas is transportation and education. I can give you a lot more than that for both Houston and Dallas:

Size: Houston, Dallas

Economy: Houston, Dallas

Corporate Power: Houston, Dallas by far. Not even close.

Energy Center: Houston, Dallas

Aerospace: Houston

Health Care: Houston

Among the Top 3 Largest Seaports in the Country: Houston

Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones: Dallas (kidding)

I could keep going if you insisting arguing but I'm getting kind of tiered of arguing with your ridiculous theory that Atlanta is more important than San Fran, Boston, Houston, or Dallas. You can twist and manipulate the facts to what ever you want to believe and that is fine by me, but the majority of the country is not going to agree with you.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 PM

I think maybe its time we realized that when we speak of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, that maybe one isnt more important than the others on an overall scale. Only in certain areas is one city more important, but on the whole, I still think they are all about even.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think maybe its time we realized that when we speak of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, that maybe one isnt more important than the others on an overall scale. Only in certain areas is one city more important, but on the whole, I still think they are all about even.
I have to disagree.Houston has two solid things over Dallas and Atlanta that easily secures its place over them. Oil/Energy and Ports. Simple as that. On an importance level; Houston is clearly more important.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,050 times
The three world class cities in America are New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles none of these other cities have yet to recieve the same status as the big three. I don't see that changing in the near future.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,772,412 times
^ You don't have to have world class status in order to be important - FAR from it

Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have to disagree.Houston has two solid things over Dallas and Atlanta that easily secures its place over them. Oil/Energy and Ports. Simple as that. On an importance level; Houston is clearly more important.
In who eyes yours. You really think Houston would beat Dallas in national poll of importance. If you do you are crazy. It would not even be close. Dallas would run away with the poll. Houstonians can rave about there town on city-data but the vast majority of americans would think different. When you think of Texas the first city that comes to mind is Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City