Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Maybe, but New York isn't exactly resting on its laurels.
Texas is growing faster, also doing much better than NY in these times though.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM

163 posts, read 493,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Maryland=Camp David, Air Force one, and a lot of new research development...
Virginia=A lot of government facilities are there including bunkers, the pentagon, and etc...
Nevada=A lot of government facilities that aren't known to the public...
New York=NYC, UN, and etc...
these are not in order!!! I won't say California because to me it's just for a vacation even though it probably has one of the worlds highest GDP on the world, and etc...
Yes Watts ' Compton ' Oakland & Richmond are prime vacation spots . You watch too much TV

Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Does DC count as a state? If so that's #1.

otherwise CA has to be #1 (like it or not - it represents the 10th largest economy in the world)
and obviously NY is #2 (although I'm sure they'll protest - but if we're talking about STATES not CITIES, then CA wins)

Everything after that is totally debatable... Probably Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania or Ohio

Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Does DC count as a state? If so that's #1.

otherwise CA has to be #1 (like it or not - it represents the 10th largest economy in the world)
and obviously NY is #2 (although I'm sure they'll protest - but if we're talking about STATES not CITIES, then CA wins)

Everything after that is totally debatable... Probably Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania or Ohio
Debatable? The debating's already been done, 220+ posts of points in fact, and even Rachael would begrudgingly admit you're only partially right. New York isn't the obvious number two. It's number three, though only marginally behind Texas, which is number two.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
I only read a couple pages, but saying NY is important because of NYC is like saying Illinois is important because of Chicago. Other than Chicago in Illinois and NYC in NY, I see nothing much going for the states.

I'd definitely rate California as #1. Florida and Texas would be in there for sure.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I only read a couple pages, but saying NY is important because of NYC is like saying Illinois is important because of Chicago. Other than Chicago in Illinois and NYC in NY, I see nothing much going for the states.

I'd definitely rate California as #1. Florida and Texas would be in there for sure.
Did you even read any of the other posts. Aside from NYC, the state is in the top tier of other industries such as agriculture

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
What's the deal with arguing over other peoples' ratings?... It's all subjective anyways. Why don't you each just make your own list and let it stand?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Debatable? The debating's already been done, 220+ posts of points in fact, and even Rachael would begrudgingly admit you're only partially right. New York isn't the obvious number two. It's number three, though only marginally behind Texas, which is number two.

No. We looked at NY's and TX's GDP numbers and they were nearly the same. If anything, I woulds say NY is slightly ahead of TX because NYC is so important for the country as a whole. That's what makes or break the tiebreaker. It's more important than Dallas and Houston combined.

Ok, bring on the hating, but I'm sure some agree with me.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
What's the deal with arguing over other peoples' ratings?... It's all subjective anyways. Why don't you each just make your own list and let it stand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No. We looked at NY's and TX's GDP numbers and they were nearly the same. If anything, I woulds say NY is slightly ahead of TX because NYC is so important for the country as a whole. That's what makes or break the tiebreaker. It's more important than Dallas and Houston combined.

Please see treedonkey's post regarding starting arguments over many other peoples ratings

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

True but we're not talking about NYC vs Houston/ Dallas. We're talking NY vs TX and TX comes out on top although barely. Texas has a higher GDP and a faster growing GDP, population, economy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City