Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM

83 posts, read 176,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Does Oklahoma still have that ridiculous 3.2% beer law? That could be a factor in your decision.
Don't be ignorant.

Tulsa's landscape is more varied than Charlotte's. I don't think he was saying that Oklahoma was more varied than North Carolina as a whole. But Tulsa is a very hilly and green city. From what I've seen of Charlotte it looks kind of flat in comparison. The only problem I have with Tulsa is the north side, it's absolutely terrible and so are the people who live there. But I'm sure Charlotte has it's bad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
I love Tulsa, loathe Charlotte, just like Madonna loathes Hydrangeas.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Why do you loathe Charlotte and NC in general? Why is that a question you avoid like the bubonic plague?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
I think this comparison is ridiculous..Apparently to some people every city and town in America is better than Charlotte. Charlotte is a major city that punches heavily above its weight. While Tulsa is a nice small city, Charlotte easily beats it in every category. Tulsa is comparable to Greensboro and Winston-salem. To the person that said that Charlotte has no scenery it is obvious you have never been here. Charlotte leads the country with 49% tree coverage.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I think this comparison is ridiculous..Apparently to some people every city and town in America is better than Charlotte. Charlotte is a major city that punches heavily above its weight. While Tulsa is a nice small city, Charlotte easily beats it in every category. Tulsa is comparable to Greensboro and Winston-salem. To the person that said that Charlotte has no scenery it is obvious you have never been here. Charlotte leads the country with 49% tree coverage.
I don't consider trees scenery. They are just trees.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I don't consider trees scenery. They are just trees.
They are not. There is not much scenery in Charlotte itself and the same can be said for Tulsa. However, Charlotte has the mountains a couple hours one way and the beach a couple hours the other way. Tulsa is an 8 hour drive to the beach and the Ozark Mountains are really just hills - nothing compared to the Appalachians. Bottom line is Charlotte is much closer to real natural beauty than Tulsa is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Oklahoma City is a much better city to compare with Charlotte than Tulsa is. Even then, Charlotte beats OKC pretty handily.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM

963 posts, read 2,409,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Scenery in OK is extremely varied, unlike NC.
I might beg to differ on this point. NC has, after Texas, the second-greatest elevation range of any state east of the Rocky Mountain Front. Within the state you will find:

The steepest, most rugged stretch of the Appalachian Mountains, including one National Park and well over a dozen wilderness areas (one of which includes one of the deepest gorges/canyons in the east - Linville Gorge)

The hilly midlands of the state, where most of the major cities are located. Outside of the city the landscape varies from pasture to mixed forest.

The Uwharrie Mounatins in the center of the state, some ancient Appalachian foothills, which are mostly national forest, with - again - a few protected wilderness areas.

East of there, after a sudden elevation drop, there are the sandhills - remnants of an ancient shoreline - steep, sandy hills that stretch about 20 miles wide X 100+ miles long, covered in deep, extensive pine forests, and very sparsely populated.

East of I-95 the landscape is completely flat, with blackwater rivers and a mix of farms and dense subtropical forest.

The northern end of the coast includes the largest coastal lagoon in the US, plus hundreds of miles of tidal estuaries, surrounded by deep, unlogged swamps.

Throughout eastern NC you also find a unique geologic feature called a pocosin - some are water-filled lakes, others are filled by nearly impenetrable thickets of plants and species unique to those areas. They are circular depressions of unknown origin (not sinkholes), and there are hundreds of them across the eastern end of the state.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Tulsa has way more elevation/terrain variation than Charlotte. Tulsa is close to the Osarks (which are nice) and there are big hills in the city itself..not to mention alot of water activity options.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
Tulsa better than charlotte? Tulsa is a fine town but cmon what are you guys smoking thinking its even in charlottes leauge?
More than twice as many people, growing at a much faster rate, democratic national convention site for next year, annual ciia tournament, more diverse, better outdoor activities, Nfl team, nascar holy land, skyscrapers, tons of trees maybe the greenest city in america, light rail, banking capital, 3 hours from the beach, less than 2 from the mountains, better weather, the list just goes on and on.
I don't think that anybody in their's right mind seriously thinks that Tulsa is a " quote unquote greater city than Charlotte NC " but a city that wants to be in the same conversation ( you see once upon a time ) Charlotte was just like Tulsa...Before the NBA...NFL...Nascar....Democratic Convention

Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
I might beg to differ on this point. NC has, after Texas, the second-greatest elevation range of any state east of the Rocky Mountain Front. Within the state you will find:

The steepest, most rugged stretch of the Appalachian Mountains, including one National Park and well over a dozen wilderness areas (one of which includes one of the deepest gorges/canyons in the east - Linville Gorge)

The hilly midlands of the state, where most of the major cities are located. Outside of the city the landscape varies from pasture to mixed forest.

The Uwharrie Mounatins in the center of the state, some ancient Appalachian foothills, which are mostly national forest, with - again - a few protected wilderness areas.

East of there, after a sudden elevation drop, there are the sandhills - remnants of an ancient shoreline - steep, sandy hills that stretch about 20 miles wide X 100+ miles long, covered in deep, extensive pine forests, and very sparsely populated.

East of I-95 the landscape is completely flat, with blackwater rivers and a mix of farms and dense subtropical forest.

The northern end of the coast includes the largest coastal lagoon in the US, plus hundreds of miles of tidal estuaries, surrounded by deep, unlogged swamps.

Throughout eastern NC you also find a unique geologic feature called a pocosin - some are water-filled lakes, others are filled by nearly impenetrable thickets of plants and species unique to those areas. They are circular depressions of unknown origin (not sinkholes), and there are hundreds of them across the eastern end of the state.
I didn't know that....people that visit a area miss alot that the locals know about........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City