Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM

37,821 posts, read 41,139,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In another posting, I talk about the terrible experience I had with homeless and mentally ill men approaching me constantly when I was walking around downtown Atlanta. It made me think about the other large cities I had visited and my impression of their downtown areas.

I would have to vote for Atlanta as having the worst downtown among the large American Cities. It looks quite impressive from the highway with all the large buildings but on the street level there seemed to be countless hipsters, gangsters and homeless.

Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill, and other crazy or dangerous people downtown?
It wasn't always like this, you know. Back in the 60s some bright bulbs decided it was mean to institutionalize people in psychiatric hospitals and that they should be deinstitionalized. They were supposed to get community treatment. Instead they wound up on the street as homeless. By the early 1980s it was apparent that the bright idea of deinstitutionalization wasn't so swift after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,592,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
It was Psycho Safeway. I can't imagine how it was before they built the new store... My, oh my.
There are two Safeways in the downtown, Northwest area now. The old one where you worked is torn down, and was replaced by the one on Jefferson. A brand new one opened in Dec 08 in the Pearl District on 13th and Lovejoy. I did not like shopping at the Jefferson one nicknamed Psycho Safeway. I stopped going there when the new one in the Pearl opened. I actually lost alot of respect for Safeway because the begging is very aggressive at Psycho, and nothing is done about it. Many elderly must shop in that store, and many fear being robbed in the vacinity of it, and it has happened.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,809,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There are two Safeways in the downtown, Northwest area now. The old one where you worked is torn down, and was replaced by the one on Jefferson. A brand new one opened in Dec 08 in the Pearl District on 13th and Lovejoy. I did not like shopping at the Jefferson one nicknamed Psycho Safeway. I stopped going there when the new one in the Pearl opened. I actually lost alot of respect for Safeway because the begging is very aggressive at Psycho, and nothing is done about it. Many elderly must shop in that store, and many fear being robbed in the vacinity of it, and it has happened.
When someone aggressively begs me, I start a long story about how I'm unemployed and was gonna ask them for change, and I start going into all my problems. You'd be surprised how quickly aggressive panhandlers want to get away from someone who begs from them.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,100,488 times
Quote:
In another posting, I talk about the terrible experience I had with homeless and mentally ill men approaching me constantly when I was walking around downtown Atlanta. It made me think about the other large cities I had visited and my impression of their downtown areas.

I would have to vote for Atlanta as having the worst downtown among the large American Cities. It looks quite impressive from the highway with all the large buildings but on the street level there seemed to be countless hipsters, gangsters and homeless.

Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill, and other crazy or dangerous people downtown?

You just did a similar thread in Atlanta what is your point in doing this, It makes absolutely no sense. What american large city doesnt have these things in there citys you need to get out and vist more places and maybe you will see that its no different anywhere

Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,100,488 times
Quote:
The real big cities like SF, Chicago or NYC have so many people on the street that you just blend in. I think the homeless and mentally ill nuts have a bigger effect in a town like Atlanta where there are fewer people on the street.

Get over yourself as you can see people are ignoring your comment no matter how much you try to throw Atlanta out there the problem is much heavier else where

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,497,842 times
The largest population of urban mentally ill is easily Salt Lake City, and they all hang out here:

Oh wow, did I say that out loud?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM

85 posts, read 167,445 times
almost any downtown that has not recived any gentrification or revitialization.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM

9,545 posts, read 16,592,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
When someone aggressively begs me, I start a long story about how I'm unemployed and was gonna ask them for change, and I start going into all my problems. You'd be surprised how quickly aggressive panhandlers want to get away from someone who begs from them.
Excellent I am going to try that. I am asked for money every single day no matter where I walk in much of Portland. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,837,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The one on Jefferson is the one I worked at. Museum Place Safeway. I don't consider the Pearl Safeway to be "downtown" though personally. The one they tore down, I've heard, used to be sooo much worse, but I wasn't around when that one was around. But yeah, that's a crazy, crazy store. I'm not sure how they even keep it running. I would not want to be the managers since there is really only so much they can do about panhandlers. They don't have any way to keep people from standing on public property and begging, unfortunately. And the mentally ill... And the shoplifters... And the people who bring their dogs and cats in the store... And the PSU students... Wow. Most interesting job I've ever had so far.

Anyone who wants to see a lot of mentally ill people (and druggies and homeless and just plain crazies) in a downtown should go hang out around that Safeway.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,621,301 times
san francisco has a lot of crazy people downtown but they all have jobs and make a lota money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City