Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,850,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
When someone aggressively begs me, I start a long story about how I'm unemployed and was gonna ask them for change, and I start going into all my problems. You'd be surprised how quickly aggressive panhandlers want to get away from someone who begs from them.
I totally ignore them...like I didn't hear what they said. This pretty much works for me every time, unless they approach me face to face and I accidentally look them in the eye. I have also quickly put my phone to my ear to look like I'm having a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 AM

938 posts, read 4,101,637 times
San Francisco has got to be number 1. The Tenderloin was just appalling.

prettyugly.: San Francisco Part II

Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 AM

10,184 posts, read 20,833,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
NYC used to have lots of homeless, but there are a multitude of shelters, and city agencies in place to help them. In the same way that there is a multitude of organizations geared to help the mentally ill, however, because of their illness, this group of people are more difficult to place in shelters, or to seek help.

Add to this, the mentally-impaired chemical abuser, wich is another group that is extremely difficult to reach.

Unfortunately, drugs have created lots of problems for American cities, and towns, and they have become visible, everywhere. No city or town today is spared.
NYC is just full of random crazy people, never mind the homeless. Ride the subways or walk around 8th Ave between 34th and Time Square, you'll see plenty.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,809,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
NYC is just full of random crazy people, never mind the homeless. Ride the subways or walk around 8th Ave between 34th and Time Square, you'll see plenty.
yes, and they are called "hipsters"

Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,698,227 times
Boston is probably a big one.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 PM

633 posts, read 1,445,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In another posting, I talk about the terrible experience I had with homeless and mentally ill men approaching me constantly when I was walking around downtown Atlanta. It made me think about the other large cities I had visited and my impression of their downtown areas.

I would have to vote for Atlanta as having the worst downtown among the large American Cities. It looks quite impressive from the highway with all the large buildings but on the street level there seemed to be countless hipsters, gangsters and homeless.

Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill, and other crazy or dangerous people downtown?
San Francisco, lol

Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 AM

709 posts, read 1,770,781 times
Most people in San Francisco's Tenderloin area look like they either belong in prison or in a straight jacket.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 AM

281 posts, read 930,678 times
I don't know how you quantify this, but the angry, aggressive, irrational and apparently homeless people in San Francisco abound in numbers and intrusiveness. They can be very frightening and can turn violent. There are several possible reasons for the problem: (1) The temperate climate which makes outdoor living tenable, (2) the knee-jerk liberal government which seems to think that treating mentally ill people is oppressive and that allowing the problem to progress unabated makes some kind of political statement, (3) the ill-thought-out deinstitutionalization program from the 1960's with the failure to implement the promised community-based alternatives, (4) a completely useless police department that refuses to do anything about anything, (5) a severely misguided laissez-faire mentality that seems to think mental illness is an alternative lifestyle; not necessarily in that order.
Of course we have them in Chicago too, but (1) they have to go indoors in the winter which increases the likelihood they will receive treatment, (2) we have an administration that thinks keeping the city livable for everyone else is important.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,490,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Most people in San Francisco's Tenderloin area look like they either belong in prison or in a straight jacket.
Yeah I'd be willing to bet that neighborhood has more ugly people per capita than any other in the nation. So many zombies and drug abuse-transformed facial features.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,516,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasthekid View Post
the largest population of urban mentally ill is easily salt lake city, and they all hang out here:

Oh wow, did i say that out loud?
lolololol :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City