Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM

795 posts, read 2,412,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Hahaha, comparing cities to metros and riding stereotypes into the ground...

Keep on tokin', D-town 420.
When did I compare a city with a metro Mr. two cents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Because Disneyland is in Orange County . Then you go on to confine your metro population citation to LA city proper. At least be consistent. And if you have been to LA and can testify to its godawful lack of pedestrian flavor, prove it with anecdote, not pictures from Google Earth. Or come on out to LA. Maybe you'll actually enjoy yourself, and if not, well, that's cool too. I'm not defensive about facts, as LA has a long way to go. But these stereotypes of yours are so far behind the curve that expressing them doesn't benefit you at all.
No sorry to say downtown LA isnt walkable to disney land isnt implying that I am talking about the LA metro. It is impying that LA and its alleged amenties is spread out. I used other examples and yet you concentrated on a single tidbit. Try sticking to the point of what I am saying and not create a strawman.

Sterotypes? What about this below ought to defy my sterotypes?

America's Worst Traffic Traps

Among the worst offenders:
--The Los Angeles US-101 and I-405 Interchange, which results in 27 million plus hours of delay each year
http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/11/tra...11traffic.html

America's 24 Worst Highway Bottlenecks
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931285.html

Last edited by D-town 720; 04-24-2009 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,459,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
No sorry to say downtown LA isnt walkable to disney land isnt implying that I am talking about the LA metro. It is impying that LA and its alleged amenties is spread out. I used other examples and yet you concentrated on a single tidbit. Try sticking to the point of what I am saying and not create a strawman.
Your strawman is the only amenity is Disneyland. That doesn't even factor into a walkability study, unless you assume people in LA confine their grocery, bars, and restaurants to the Magic Kingdom? Maybe you're thinking of Disney Hall instead? Yeah, that's a looooong walk from downtown.

And yes, you're operating strictly on stereotypes. You have yet to prove you know anything at all about life in Los Angeles. This really isn't even a debate about LA anymore, in that sense.

Last edited by Bunjee; 04-24-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
Quote:
Honestly, how can you tell I have never been to LA? What makes a person assume this from an online discussion?

Really you can walk from Hollywood to downtown? How far is that? And why do you consider a walkable distance within regards to the norm?
I made that assumption based on the fact that you included Disneyland in the conversation. Disneyland is not only not in LA, it's not even in LA County. I also made that assumption based on your lack of knowledge about the city; maybe I am wrong, but I got the impression that perhaps you're confusing parts of Orange County (like the area around Disneyland) with LA itself.

I believe it is around 8 miles from Hollywood to downtown LA. I acknowledg that's not a typical walk, but I don't think most people anywhere walk 8 miles for their typical walks. That doesn't mean that it can't be done, though, and I can attest that the entire way has sidealks, businesses, homes, tons of people out on the street, etc. (not to mention some great street food options!) And your argument about doesn't make much sense unless we're only comparing small subsections of cities, as most big cities (or metro areas or whatever) are of course going to be bigger than that.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-24-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,364,757 times
He keeps referring to the same picture and a map that covers a huge portion of a huge state.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Your strawman is the only amenity is Disneyland. That doesn't even factor into a walkability study, unless you assume people in LA confine their grocery, bars, and restaurants to the Magic Kingdom? Maybe you're thinking of Disney Hall instead? Yeah, that's a looooong walk from downtown.
Um hello didnt I talk about the beaches, hollywood? And how do you read my sentence that listed some examples of amenties as stating that such are the only amenties in LA?

Do you even know what a straw man is? Is when a person takes another person's argument and makes its really weak and then knocks it down. In your case you took my one example and attributed to my entire position. Was I comparing metros ever? No! But from a single example you seemed to try to make it that way. My point was obviously that the city of LA has its amenities spread out.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I made that assumption based on the fact that you included Disneyland in the conversation. Disneyland is not only in LA, it's not even in LA County. I also made that assumption based on your lack of knowledge about the city; maybe I am wrong, but I got the impression that perhaps you're confusing parts of Orange County (like the area around Disneyland) with LA itself.

I believe it is around 8 miles from Hollywood to downtown LA. I acknowledg that's not a typical walk, but I don't think most people anywhere walk 8 miles for their typical walks. That doesn't mean that it can't be done, though, and I can attest that the entire way has sidealks, businesses, homes, tons of people out on the street, etc. (not to mention some great street food options!) And your argument about doesn't make much sense unless we're only comparing small subsections of cities, as most big cities (or metro areas or whatever) are of course going to be bigger than that.
I do realize that disney land is in the OC. It may have been a bad example and could be tossed for another example but my point remains - that LA's amenities are spread out more so than other cities. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Its just like LA's skyline which is also spread out (willshire, century city) alludes to the sprawling of the city and conversely makes the entire city less walkable.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
When did I compare a city with a metro Mr. two cents?
Right here:
Quote:
LA is 3.5 milion and NYC is 17 million.
Even that's not correct as LA proper is over 4 million now and the NYC region is at 22 million. One might be inclined to think that you're just making things up as you go.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
He keeps referring to the same picture and a map that covers a huge portion of a huge state.
Both pictures are of LA. The freeway map may run into other counties but a good portion of it is in LA. Now the entire state? Of what? The greater state of LA?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Both pictures are of LA. The freeway map may run into other counties but a good portion of it is in LA. Now the entire state? Of what? The greater state of LA?
Jesus, are you even capable of reading? That map covers a large portion of California (a state), which is the third biggest by area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City