Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 PM

229 posts, read 520,992 times

Advertisements

I do think that some architecture (D.C.) is beautiful and yes, Chicago's lake front is the best as far as cities go but NYC, to me, is not beautiful but certainly is a very impressive and engaging place. Miami seems to have a few nice spots but does an area of a downtown or a few nice skyscrapers make a city beautiful??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/EBC1_150.jpg/800px-EBC1_150.jpg (broken link)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6295/206837062549772cc94bbflnd7.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Nice pics. I honestly don't think there's anywhere more beautiful than NYC in the spring time with all the flowers and trees blooming. All the people walking around extra happy that it's spring, being warm out, seeing the beautiful trees..

Old 04-25-2009, 12:10 PM

229 posts, read 520,992 times
Much of what you've shown in pictures, though nice, are not what one sees on street level. Mostly a lot of unending concrete and man-made structures.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Great photos of NYC. When I use the term beautiful to describe a city it has more to do with the natural physical environment rather than buildings\ bridges, etc. I would say that New York City is impressive\ attractive\ interesting but not necessarily beautiful. Same for Chicago.

But the beaches of Miami w/ coconut palms & ocean is beautiful because of the topography. Cities like San Francisco\ Seattle\ Los Angeles\ Phoenix, etc. are beautiful because of the backdrop of mountains & coastline [except Arizona]. Denver\ Albuquerque\ Portland\ Pittsburgh can be described as beautiful for the same reason.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:45 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I do not get it. Cities are a result of human effort, they have nothing to do with a natural appeal... Now, if you find beauty in them is a matter of taste. I do. Art in general does not have anything to do with natural appeal, again it is a result of deliberate human action.
While it's true that cities are a result of human effort, the ability to blend cities in with the natural environment around them can result in something beautiful.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Much of what you've shown in pictures, though nice, are not what one sees on street level. Mostly a lot of unending concrete and man-made structures.
Cities by defintion are man-made and full of man-made structures. There are no natural cities
ANyways, New York is full of squares, parks and streets lined with trees. I, too, think it is simply beautiful in Spring. Walk in a Central Park is worth millions.... Literally, Central Park addresses, especially those facing the park are the most coveted real estate trophies in the world.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
While it's true that cities are a result of human effort, the ability to blend cities in with the natural environment around them can result in something beautiful.
And New York is famous for that. What other city would reserve some of its most expensive land for a park, as a matter of fact the largest city park in the world?

I believe that New York located on three islands and peninsula takes advantage of its surroundings to the fullest. Even the location of Statue of Liberty proves that.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM

58 posts, read 203,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And New York is famous for that. What other city would reserve some of its most expensive land for a park, as a matter of fact the largest city park in the world?
San Francisco and Chicago both do so as well.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
San Francisco and Chicago both do so as well.

Yeah, what's the name of this park in the middle of the Loop? Also, you realize that the value of the land in Central Park if it was zoned for construction would dwarf anything in Chicago or SF? Every city has a park but New York sacrifices the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City