Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,564,260 times

Advertisements

i'd go with DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 18,040 times
Okay, looking into it, Philly looks like a good choice as well, so I'll add it to my list. I was mainly concerned about race relations since I had heard it was pretty bad, but from what I've researched, things have changed. Also seems like the winters aren't as cold as in Boston, so that's a plus (I'm tired of cold winters).

Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,485,874 times
The winters are barely warmer. If you want a noticeable difference, go to DC.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,304,517 times
If you like looooong sticky summers, uptight fashion and cultural sensibilities, and intrusively "friendly" people who are obnoxiously loud and stupid and love to get under your skin, then welcome to D.C. I haven't been to Boston yet, but it's gotta be much better on account of being way up in the libertine North and not the nosy South. D.C. is not exactly in the South, but it's close enough (Richmond et al) that Dixie kind of sets the tone here, especially in the large black community. Black is just a color, of course, but in D.C. it seems to be coupled with a mindset straight out of Alabama. And they're aware of it, too; when embarrassed by their own community members, they will often refer to them as "'bama"s as in Alabama.

That said, the majority of people you will meet are quiet, professional newcomers, but because of their (our) quietness, they do not set the tone here. To understand the tone of this town, see my first paragraph.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times
Philly is a great middle ground (LITERALLY LOL!). It and its metro has a huge student population and upenn draws a very large international student body from asia. It's also a fair bit cheaper for a good neighborhood than either of the other two cities.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM

2,607 posts, read 4,677,244 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
If you like looooong sticky summers, uptight fashion and cultural sensibilities, and intrusively "friendly" people who are obnoxiously loud and stupid and love to get under your skin, then welcome to D.C. I haven't been to Boston yet, but it's gotta be much better on account of being way up in the libertine North and not the nosy South. D.C. is not exactly in the South, but it's close enough (Richmond et al) that Dixie kind of sets the tone here, especially in the large black community. Black is just a color, of course, but in D.C. it seems to be coupled with a mindset straight out of Alabama. And they're aware of it, too; when embarrassed by their own community members, they will often refer to them as "'bama"s as in Alabama.

That said, the majority of people you will meet are quiet, professional newcomers, but because of their (our) quietness, they do not set the tone here. To understand the tone of this town, see my first paragraph.

Wrong....Being a "bamma" doesnt have anything to do with Alabama....a bama is a state of "being" not a reference to a location...You can be from NY, CA, D.C, MD you can be a "bamma" if you play the part ...by your whole paragraph and breakdown of D.C...you yourself would be considered no doubt " a bamma"

Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,574,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
If you like looooong sticky summers, uptight fashion and cultural sensibilities, and intrusively "friendly" people who are obnoxiously loud and stupid and love to get under your skin, then welcome to D.C.
I've lived in DC for 5 1/2 years, and I have never once met anyone who fits that description. Perhaps you should run with a different crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City